Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2016, 15:22   #31
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Female Heroes of the Sea and Sailors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
@ Tayana42, Steady Hand, and Boatie,

First, thank you for the kind words, but I'm afraid y'all have a fantasy of me that looks much more wonderful than the occasionally crabby when frustrated me starts letting go with the tongue! [It was not without cause that someone once told me I cussed worse than any two sailors they knew! True.] i write positively, but am aware of a lack self confidence. I'm certainly no Dame anything or Autissier, either.

Everybody gets to choose their heroines, I guess, but you can really do better than me.

Ann
I shoulda added "and her humility" to one of your qualities above.

Humility before the Sea is a good quality in any sailor.

You can still be our hero.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 15:23   #32

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Sea Cloud, Capt.'s wife navigated back & took command when her husband died.

Also Isabelle Autessier
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 15:25   #33

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

And Jeanne Socrates, too.

Ann
Old 25-11-2016, 15:31   #34

I'd like to add a friend to the list. Her name is Linda Newland. I knew Linda when she was a Teacher/School Administrator and just learning to sail on San Francisco Bay. I admired her advocacy for children, and watched as she learned to sail, began racing, including singlehanded races from San Francisco to Hawaii and another to Japan. She moved on to Law and became a maritime lawyer. Along the way she also got her 100 ton skippers license and became a delivery skipper. She now is an advocate and leader supporting at-risk girls and women's sailing development. She reminds me of the other young and older women mentioned above. And I'm envious of her determination and endless energy.
Paul Mazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 15:34   #35
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Mazza View Post
I'd like to add a friend to the list. Her name is Linda Newland. I knew Linda when she was a Teacher/School Administrator and just learning to sail on San Francisco Bay. I admired her advocacy for children, and watched as she learned to sail, began racing, including singlehanded races from San Francisco to Hawaii and another to Japan. She moved on to Law and became a maritime lawyer. Along the way she also got her 100 ton skippers license and became a delivery skipper. She now is an advocate and leader supporting at-risk girls and women's sailing development. She reminds me of the other young and older women mentioned above. And I'm envious of her determination and endless energy.
She sounds like a hero!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 15:37   #36

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Yes, Paul, Linda Weber-Rettie-Newland! Absolutely! Did you see the pic of her and the other skippers in that race? So long ago, I don't remember who took the pic, but it did the rounds in the days before we left the States.

Ann
Old 25-11-2016, 15:59   #37

While not a sailing heroine, Tilly Smith was more like the life saving heroines of shipwreck fame. An English schoolgirl, she had recently learned about plate tectonics and tsunamis in school, then was on holiday in Indonesia when she saw the ocean withdraw from the beach. Rather than being timid, this 10-year-old spoke out frantically and with her family got hundreds to leave the beach thus saving their lives.
bumpman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 16:07   #38

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Yes, Paul, Linda Weber-Rettie-Newland! Absolutely! Did you see the pic of her and the other skippers in that race? So long ago, I don't remember who took the pic, but it did the rounds in the days before we left the States.

Ann
for those who either did not see the photo, or don't remember it...

In the race to Japan, Linda was not only the sole woman, she was the sole American entry. All her competitors were Japanese men. Linda is a tall lady, perhaps around six feet OAL, and the others were all pretty short. In the group photo, she towered over them. She described it to us as "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs". A lively sense of humour!

I'm really glad to hear that she is still making a difference in teh world, for i enjoyed knowing her and racing against her all those years ago.

Jim
Old 25-11-2016, 16:31   #39

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

My sailing hero is...my daughter Katrina.

She has sailed with me her whole life, on every boat I've owned. We've sailed through storms, and engine failures. We've waited out gales together at anchor. When she was 12 she went on the tall ship St Lawrence II as a trainee. She loved it, and joined their winter program. Pretty soon she was a petty officer, then a watch officer. Now at 17 she is pretty much 3rd in command of a 72 foot brigantine with a crew of 25. Meanwhile, she bought a second hand laser and sails it when she not on her tall ship. She sails it hard on windy days when the kite-boarders are out. A couple summers ago she sailed her tall ship to Quebec city. Next summer she is sailing it out the St Lawrence to New York City. She is not a passenger...she is senior watch officer. She is the young lady draped over the tops'l yard tucking a reef in half a gale. This winter she is applying for University, but also applying for "Class Afloat"...if she is accepted she will take a year with them and sail around the world...and she will still be 17 years old when she begins.

She is twice the sailor I ever was, and her adventures are just beginning. Yes, I am so proud. But I'm also scared sh!tless.

https://youtu.be/0c2ed29Y630
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SLII Course 3 001.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	418.1 KB
ID:	136946   Click image for larger version

Name:	SLII Course 3 049.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	405.2 KB
ID:	136948  

Name:	SLII Course 3 048.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	440.7 KB
ID:	136949   Click image for larger version

Name:	Compromise sailing 039.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	409.8 KB
ID:	136951  

Name:	Laser 001.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	403.3 KB
ID:	136952   Click image for larger version

Name:	Main Duck 287.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	434.3 KB
ID:	136953  

hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 16:50   #40

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
My sailing hero is...my daughter Katrina.

She has sailed with me her whole life, on every boat I've owned. We've sailed through storms, and engine failures. We've waited out gales together at anchor. When she was 12 she went on the tall ship St Lawrence II as a trainee. She loved it, and joined their winter program. Pretty soon she was a petty officer, then a watch officer. Now at 17 she is pretty much 3rd in command of a 72 foot brigantine with a crew of 25. Meanwhile, she bought a second hand laser and sails it when she not on her tall ship. She sails it hard on windy days when the kite-boarders are out. A couple summers ago she sailed her tall ship to Quebec city. Next summer she is sailing it out the St Lawrence to New York City. She is not a passenger...she is senior watch officer. She is the young lady draped over the tops'l yard tucking a reef in half a gale. This winter she is applying for University, but also applying for "Class Afloat"...if she is accepted she will take a year with them and sail around the world...and she will still be 17 years old when she begins.

She is twice the sailor I ever was, and her adventures are just beginning. Yes, I am so proud. But I'm also scared sh!tless.

https://youtu.be/0c2ed29Y630
You have raised a confident, competent And capable young lady! You have every right to be proud.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 19:08   #41

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
@ Tayana42, Steady Hand, and Boatie,

First, thank you for the kind words, but I'm afraid y'all have a fantasy of me that looks much more wonderful than the occasionally crabby when frustrated me starts letting go with the tongue! [It was not without cause that someone once told me I cussed worse than any two sailors they knew! True.] i write positively, but am aware of a lack self confidence. I'm certainly no Dame anything or Autissier, either.

Everybody gets to choose their heroines, I guess, but you can really do better than me.

Ann
Respectfully I disagree with your assessment that there is a better heroine. Where in the heck did you get the idea that great heroines don't cuss and are never crabby? Or are perfectly poised and confident all the time? Great kooglie mooglie, we are discussing heroines, not gilded saints!

The truth is, a hero or heroine, is a person who simply does the thing that others don't have the nerve to do. They do the things we mere mortals wish we would do for ourselves, but our need to be protective of ourselves, keep us from participating in our own visions. We look up to those who step forward boldly.

This even goes for "letting go with the tongue", or voicing the little whispers others see as "wisdom". Sometimes, the less heroic of us, value objective truth and rationality more than a kind tone of voice. Besides, I sincerely doubt you are ever cruel or a bully.
Old 25-11-2016, 19:13   #42

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Awesome Hamburking! You should be proud of your daughter! And, give yourself credit for being the kind of dad who can let her grow! Sadly, there are not enough parents who can grow emotionally as their children gain confidence! Both of you are commendable!
Old 25-11-2016, 20:55   #43

Boat: Don't yet have a boat

In a more local context, re Tasmania and Australia, my nomination would be Kim Brewer. A true blue water yachts woman of international repute, stalwart of the Cruising Yacht club of Tas, and instigator/conveynor of women on boats. A forum to provide training and support for all women interested in learning to sail.
DavidM1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 21:05   #44

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

@Steady

I'm hesitant to post pictures not taken by myself. Others may be too.
Copyright...

Apart from this, wonderful thread!
Old 25-11-2016, 23:59   #45

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

From Sydney NSW.
ANNE GASH.
Age c. 55, retired early from nursing, bought a plywood clinker planked Folkboat, 8 (?) HP petrol inboard, and sailed out of Sydney headed for Scandinavia where she had flautist friends. In the 1960's iirc.
Had only ever crewed on her brothers (Sandy Cockburn) boats on Lake Macquarie (sort of).
The boat almost had sitting headroom which was good.
A real hero.
Had her book a few times, given them away.
A STAR TO STEER HER BY. by Anne Gash
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail