Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2016, 00:40   #46

Re: Female Heroes of the Sea and Sailors

Clare Francis,
Sailor and a heart throb, what more can you ask

wiki -
Clare Mary Francis MBE (born 17 April 1946) is a British novelist who is also known for her former career as a yachtswoman.
She was born in Thames Ditton in Surrey and spent summer holidays on the Isle of Wight, where she learnt to sail. She was educated at the Royal Ballet School, then gained a degree in Economics at University College London.[1]
In 1973, after working in marketing for three years, she took leave to sail singlehandedly across the Atlantic, departing from Falmouth in Cornwall and arriving, 37 days later, at Newport, Rhode Island.[2] Following this, she received sponsorship to take part in the 1974 Round Britain Race with Eve Bonham. They finished in third place. In 1975, she took part in the Azores and Back and the L'Aurore singlehanded races; and, in 1976, she competed in the Observer Singlehanded Transatlantic Race in her ohlson 38.de/ Ohlson 38 yacht Robertson's Golly, finishing thirteenth overall and setting a new women's single-handed transatlantic record. She also took part in that year's L'Aurore singlehanded race. During 1977 and 1978, she became the first woman to skipper a yacht in the Whitbread Round the World Race, finishing in fifth place in her Swan 65 ADC Accutrac.[3]
After writing three accounts of her experiences while sailing, she turned to fiction and is the author of eight international best-sellers.[4]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	article-2140086-12DC848A000005DC-208_634x434.jpg
Views:	527
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	136962  
Perna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2016, 01:14   #47

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlara 3 View Post
From Sydney NSW.
ANNE GASH.
Age c. 55, retired early from nursing, bought a plywood clinker planked Folkboat, 8 (?) HP petrol inboard, and sailed out of Sydney headed for Scandinavia where she had flautist friends. In the 1960's iirc.
Had only ever crewed on her brothers (Sandy Cockburn) boats on Lake Macquarie (sort of).
The boat almost had sitting headroom which was good.
A real hero.
Had her book a few times, given them away.
A STAR TO STEER HER BY. by Anne Gash
Absolutely, quite a story, and should be a wake up to modern folks!

Ann
Old 26-11-2016, 01:27   #48

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

Erratum. Ann Gash, seems it was late 70's.
Google: ann gash a star to steer her by go to images.
Amazing book if it can be found. (again). Need another one. Going to look on monday, think I know where, once read again I'll give it to you Ann.
Sextant, couple of pencils, a ww2 handbearing compass and few charts.
Jeanne Socrates calibre.
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2016, 01:50   #49

You know, Brian, there's a totally unsung heroine from Australia, who valued her privacy, so hardly anyone knows about her any more: Julie from "Jeshan". She took a welding course, and then welded up Jeshan, roughly 27 ft., as I recall, and then circumnavigated in the boat she built...from the welds up! Very friendly lady, met her in Middle Hbr, years ago. Must have been late '70's or so.

As a sailor, compared to Ann Gash, I think Julie was/is a more serious sailor.

Ann
Old 26-11-2016, 01:59   #50

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.

Yes Ann, Ann Gash was a merely a serious flute player who couldn't afford another airfare to Scandinavia. So she told her pals that for the next Flautist Convention in a couple of years, she'd sail back in her own boat.
And she did.
Old 26-11-2016, 02:44   #51
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Female Heroes of the Sea and Sailors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
@ Tayana42, Steady Hand, and Boatie,

First, thank you for the kind words, but I'm afraid y'all have a fantasy of me that looks much more wonderful than the occasionally crabby when frustrated me starts letting go with the tongue! [It was not without cause that someone once told me I cussed worse than any two sailors they knew! True.] i write positively, but am aware of a lack self confidence. I'm certainly no Dame anything or Autissier, either.

Everybody gets to choose their heroines, I guess, but you can really do better than me.

Ann
You Cuss..???
You just moved further up the list..
Gonna toss Zeehag into the pot as well..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2016, 04:04   #52

I think Annie Hill should be added to the list of women to be admired.

Voyaging with Annie Hill: Refitting and Upgrading 'Fantail'

I have never met her but she did pop out of her cabin and gave us a wave when we passed her mooring likely because we then had the same designed boat.

As far as female sailors I would say, after having raced with women in a few countries around the world, I much prefer crewing with women. I have found their abilities to be equal but without the drama and stress that I have sometimes found when crewing with other men.
Scottuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2016, 07:07   #53

Boat: bare boat charter world wide

What a marvelous subject, and the raising of a class to all of these phenominal ladies of the seas.

Many of us have our own lady hero, though unsung, and not worldly known, they are admired and loved by us, and those who know them.

32 years ago, I met Erica, she was one of my sailing and navigation students and a member of the Newport Sailing Club. she owned a new Pacific Sea Craft Crealock 37, that she had in charter with the sailing club. She also sailed our fleet of boats on up to the Morgan 46.

She fell in love with sailing and dedicated herself to everything about sailing and took all of of our 42 hours of sailing lessons, plus coastal piloting and navigation, Marine weather, Signal Lights and Day Shapes, Celestial Navigation, the North U Fast Course for racing sail trim. She was skipper on our sailing club flotilas, and on many Catalina and Channel Islands and Coastal Sailing Cruises.

She skippered a 42 foot sailing vessel in the BVI, and I was on a 32 foot beneateau . Both of our first times sailing internationally. Our relation began grow at that time, and we have been together for 32 years.

We have delivered boats from Cabo, Mexico to Los Angeles Harbor, and she can be counted on in all conditions, good and bad. We weathered near hurricane force winds in St. Barts, Sailed in zero visibiltiy fog that overtook us mid channel returning on one of the older sailing club boats to newport to catalina. No loran or GPS, no knot meter, no depth sounder and a compass that had a varying deviation of 40 to 60 degrees. We normally would have used the depth sounder when intercepting the 100 foot sounding along the Newport coast, to the Newport Channel Sea Buoy. Not posssible.

We used my hand bearing compass, and estimated our speed, and listened to the temp reports on the VHF. It was warm on shore and the fog burned off at the channel entrance. After 26 miles, we were only about a 1/4 mile from the sea buoy when the fog lifted.

She sailed a lot on her own, and when Phalarope had an engine problem, she was already skilled in docking the sailing club boats under sail, taking pride in not using the engine. Docking the Crealock under sail was not a big deal.

Together we have also sailed ( bareboated ) The Whitsunday Is, off Queensland Australia, the Kingdom of Tonga and four different Tahiti trips.
The tip of Baha to L.A delivery, plus the Abacos, Bahamas; fourteen BVI sailing vacations; the French West Indies; the Windwards and Grenadines, and a motor vessel, two different two week trips up the Shannon River in Ireland, from portumna to carrick on shannon and beyond. Also, we acted as crew sailing the Greek Islands. On all of these sailing Erica, stood helm watches, anchored, moored, docked, trimmed sails, reefed, navigated, and could be counted on in all different weather and sea conditions.

My marvelous lady , and I share other adventures, she is a licensed pilot and aerobatic pilot, sky diver, SCUBA diver up thru Rescue Diver, Snow Skier, long trek hiker, kayaker, snorkeler, and loves nature and good times.

We share or shared all of these things, with the exception of her sky diving.
I was a professional pilot, flight instructor,, charter pilot, corporate pilot, and have 17 years as instructor pilot for air combat usa, flying fighters in 5 ad 6 G dogfights. Always wore a chute for those 2500 missions, but never had to bail out.

This lady is my personal hero, and also my personal M.D. Wonderful life of 32 years together, and still going strong. Dont know what I would do without her. Lots of love and pride for this lady.

Hope this post is not out of line, but just wanted to share a lady hero tale of a personal aspect.

Thank You

Denny and Erica.
bvisailing32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2016, 08:39   #54

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Female Heroes of the Sea and Sailors

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
You Cuss..???

You just moved further up the list..

Gonna toss Zeehag into the pot as well..

Zeehag is a hero to me too! Zee, you rock!
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2016, 13:45   #55

bvisailing32, you can fill 20 pages and I'll continue toread long after I needed to be asleep.

How I wish there were more of you guys around.
I'm so envious of what you have and I also think that you telling your story makes the world a better place....rubs off onto others.
Brian.
Old 26-11-2016, 13:53   #56

And, I'd like to add SailorChic and second the motion for zeehag.

Ann
Old 26-11-2016, 14:03   #57

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

SailorChick[emoji106]
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2016, 14:48   #58

Boat: Freedom 38

Dame Ellen MacArthur has one of my votes:

https://www.ted.com/talks/dame_ellen...ound_the_world
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2016, 14:50   #59

Boat: Freedom 38

And this video includes a nice bit with Linda Newland today who continues to inspire women sailors:

gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2016, 22:52   #60

Boat: 1975 morgan outisland 33'
Female Heroes of the Sea and Sailors

Don't forget about Tania Aebi
What a great book maiden voyage
kennyarmes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail