Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2016, 23:56   #1
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Female Heroes of the Sea and Sailors

Women Can Be Heroes of Sailors Too!

Men are often the heroes of sea stories told by sailors. It is rare to find a female, whether a woman or a girl, featured as the hero or heroine, but they do exist. I am starting this topic or thread to feature some female heroes of the sea and sailors. These can be real people, or fictional or mythical.

I invite you, any CF member, to participate in this discussion, and you may add your own female heroes to this topic.

If you have a female hero sailor or know of one, you are encouraged to post some information about her. Please add what you can (photos, bio, links) to this thread.

What is a "hero" or "heroine?"
In the strictest sense, a hero is someone who has risked their life in order to help others.

For the purpose of this discussion, the term "hero" (or heroine) can be more broadly used to mean someone you admire for their courage. This thread will feature them too. I will use the term "hero" in its more broad (gender neutral) sense too, to include females.

Grace Darling

I will start with the story of Grace Darling because her birthday was yesterday and it is celebrated by the RNLI each year. She was a real hero and is considered a "national hero" in the UK.

Hers is a story of a daring rescue performed by a young woman and her father who rowed a small open wooden boat to save lives on a stormy night. Grace famously saw, from a window in the lighthouse where she lived with her father, a wrecked ship on the rocks. She and her father then rowed an open boat through the stormy waters to that wreck, and then saved the lives of the survivors they found clinging to the bow of the ship which had broken in half by then. It was a daring rescue.

The true story of Grace Darling is one of a true hero and her story is one admired by men and women and children. Learn a little about her and share her story with your children. She might inspire your own little hero, the one inside your child or yourself.

The rescue in which Grace participated happened in 1838, when she was 22 years old and living with her father in a lighthouse on a small desolate island. Grace inspired many in the 1800s and continues to do so today. Unfortunately, while she was celebrated during her life, she died when only 26 years old from tuberculosis. Her story lives on, including in a poem "Grace Darling" by William Wordsworth.

More Female Heroes of the Sea and Sailors:

There are other female heroes who are celebrated for their role in saving seamen. Here are a few of note I will add later in this thread:

Grace Bussell, a 16-year-old Australian girl who rescued 50 people from the SS Georgette when it foundered off the West Australian coast in 1876. She is regarded as Australia’s national heroine. At the time of the rescue, Bussell was referred to as the "Grace Darling of the West" by journalists.

Ann Harvey, a Newfoundland 17-year-old who in 1828, with her father, brother and dog, rescued 163 shipwrecked people.

Roberta Boyd, a New Brunswick girl who was hailed as the "Grace Darling of the St. Croix” after a rescue in 1882.

Here is a wikipedia article about Grace Darling: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grace_Darling

If you want to share this on facebook, here is a link to do so:
https://www.facebook.com/steadman.uh...59914127417911

https://www.facebook.com/rnli/photos...983999/?type=3
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1700.JPG
Views:	323
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	136790   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1703.JPG
Views:	356
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	136793  

Name:	IMG_1704.JPG
Views:	360
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	136794   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1705.JPG
Views:	387
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	136795  

Name:	IMG_1707.JPG
Views:	368
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	136796   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1708.JPG
Views:	374
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	136797  

Name:	IMG_1709.JPG
Views:	377
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	136798  
Attached Images

Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 00:07   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Female Heroes of the Sea and Sailors

Laura Dekker

The Youngest Female Solo Circumnavigator

Laura Dekker is a hero to many sailors today because of what she achieved at such a young age. She displayed rare personal courage to overcome resistance to her dream of sailing around the world while still a young teen. She won the admiration of sailors around the world for her accomplishment and for her personality.

She sailed around on her 40 foot boat "Guppy."

From Wikipedia:
Laura Dekker (Dutch pronunciation: [ˈlʌuraː ˈdɛkər]; born 20 September 1995) is a Dutch sailor. In 2009, she announced her plan to become the youngest person to circumnavigate the globe single-handed. A Dutch court stepped in, due to the objections of the local authorities, and prevented Dekker from departing while under shared custody of both her parents. In July 2010, a Dutch family court ended this custody arrangement, and the record breaking attempt finally began on 21 August 2010. Dekker successfully completed the solo circumnavigation in an 11.5-metre (38 ft) two-masted ketch, arriving in Simpson Bay,[2] Sint Maarten, 518 days later at the age of 16.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1719.JPG
Views:	341
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	136799   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1710.JPG
Views:	344
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	136800  

Name:	IMG_1711.JPG
Views:	370
Size:	278.9 KB
ID:	136801   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1712.JPG
Views:	368
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	136802  

Name:	IMG_1717.JPG
Views:	421
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	136803   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1715.JPG
Views:	386
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	136804  

Old 25-11-2016, 00:25   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Jeanne Socrates

The Oldest Female Solo Circumnavigator

Jeanne Socrates is an admirable sailor! She gives inspiration to so many who see her as the embodiment of pursuing dreams, regardless of age. She is outstanding! And in my view, a hero.

From her website:
Jeanne Socrates, aboard S/V Nereida, successfully completed a nonstop, single-handed, unassisted sail around the world at 2:26 a.m. on Monday 8th July 2013, when she passed Ogden Point at the entrance to Victoria Harbour, 259 days after leaving Victoria in October 2012.

She became the first woman to sail solo nonstop around the world from North America and the oldest woman to sail solo nonstop around the world (a record noted in the Guinness Book of Records)

This was her third attempt to circumnavigate solo, nonstop and unassisted - eastabout via Cape Horn and the Southern Ocean - all attempts made without the help of a shore-based support team .... "My team is simply 'Nereida' and me!"

She received the Ocean Cruising Club's Special Award on landfall and, in April 2014, their Barton Cup. On 7th March 2014, she was presented with the Cruising Club of America's 'Blue Water Medal' and, in April, with the Royal Cruising Club's 'Seamanship Medal'. She was short-listed both for the 'Yachtsman of the Year Award' (U.K.) and also for the 'Yachtworld Hero of the Year Award' (U.S.A.).

Previous awards received have been the "Duchess of Kent Trophy" (January 2012, from the Cruising Association) and the Award of Merit (2011) and Rose Medal (2009) (both from the Ocean Cruising Club).

In August 2012, she became the oldest woman to have circumnavigated solo via the Five Great Capes of the Southern Ocean and she had previously, March 2007- June 2008, circumnavigated westabout via the Panama Canal (although unfortunately finishing 60 miles short of her starting point in Mexico - see below).

From News Articles:

Daily Mail:
'I've enjoyed the many birds keeping me company - many different albatross, both juvenile and adult, have come close to the boat as well as petrels, prions and shearwaters.

'I've also enjoyed the many contacts I've made by radio with people in different countries - all of whom have been very supportive and encouraging.'

Her epic journey from Canada took in several southern capes, including those in Chile, South Africa and Western Australia.
Mrs Socrates's first attempt in November 2009 ended in South Africa when she was forced to stop in Cape Town for an engine replacement.

Her second in October 2010 was halted when her boat was damaged in a bad knockdown over 100 miles west of Cape Horn on Day 72.

She arrived back at Victoria's Inner Harbour just before 3am on Monday morning - completing her third attempt.

The pre-dawn arrival ended several days of anticipation as light winds along the west coast of British Columbia stalled her return, which was expected on July 5.

John Franklin, from the Ocean Cruising Club (OCC), said: 'Jeanne is one of our most accomplished sailing members in recent years.
'Your friends at OCC are most proud of you, Jeanne.'
Mrs Socrates, whose husband George died of cancer in 2003, is fundraising for Marie Curie Cancer Care."

Read more: Jeanne Socrates, 70, becomes oldest woman to sail solo round world non-stop | Daily Mail Online
_________

Profile Article in Cruising World Magazine (2010):
Profile of Jeanne Socrates | Cruising World
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1721.JPG
Views:	287
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	136805   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1720.JPG
Views:	271
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	136806  

Name:	IMG_1723.JPG
Views:	307
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	136807   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1722.JPG
Views:	325
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	136808  

Name:	IMG_1724.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	419.4 KB
ID:	136809   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1726.JPG
Views:	312
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	136810  

Name:	IMG_1729.JPG
Views:	328
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	136811   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1730.JPG
Views:	321
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	136812  

Name:	IMG_1728.JPG
Views:	325
Size:	157.9 KB
ID:	136813   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1727.JPG
Views:	296
Size:	312.4 KB
ID:	136814  

Old 25-11-2016, 06:28   #4

Boat: a sailing boat

L'Odyssée du vent, le nouveau défi de Raphaëla Legouvello

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapha%C3%ABla_le_Gouvello

Image attribution: American Windsurfer
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AMERICAN_WINDSURFER_8.5_pacific-crossing_opener.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	413.3 KB
ID:	136890  
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 08:29   #5

dame ellen macarther

around alone non stop in a then state of the art racing machine
bsurvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 08:44   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Laura Dekker

The Youngest Female Solo Circumnavigator

Laura Dekker is a hero to many sailors today because of what she achieved at such a young age. She displayed rare personal courage to overcome resistance to her dream of sailing around the world while still a young teen. She won the admiration of sailors around the world for her accomplishment and for her personality.
Personally I admire more Jessica Watson who did the same but non stop (not using the Panama canal ) She was a few months older than Laura.

Wikipedia

Jessica Watson, OAM (born 18 May 1993) is an Australian sailor who completed a southern hemisphere solo circumnavigation[1] at the age of 16. Departing Sydney on 18 October 2009, Watson headed north-east crossing the equator in the Pacific Ocean before crossing the Atlantic and Indian Oceans. She returned to Sydney on 15 May 2010, three days before her 17th birthday.[2] The voyage was shorter than the required 21,600 nautical miles to be considered a global circumnavigation,[3] and Watson never claimed the voyage to be an attempt at such, preferring the less formal term 'around the world'. In recognition of her achievement Watson was named the 2011 Young Australian of the Year,[4] and the following year was awarded a Medal of the Order of Australia.[5] She currently resides in Buderim, Queensland.

See also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jessica_Watson
nepal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 09:06   #7

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Margaret Eaton. The Diary Of A Sea Captain's Wife tells her story from her own notes about living in Santa Barbara and on Santa Cruz Island. Diary of a Sea Captain's Wife: Tales of Santa Cruz Island https://www.amazon.com/dp/0874610338..._m7goyb4Y5VDX7
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 09:24   #8

Boat: Nauticat 32

Maybe there are lots of heroines who have understood and supported the needs of their husband to be recognized as a hero.
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 09:58   #9

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Grace O'Malley (Granuiale) an Irish woman and pirate who held off the British Navy and was imprisoned by Queen Elizabeth I. When she died in her 50s her 4th husband was 20 years younger than she. Something to aspire to (not the Royal Navy part, the young husband part!!)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 25-11-2016, 10:13   #10

Sure different than my better half who is happy sitting in the cockpit with a book and a glass of wine, UNTIL I cast off and all the color drains from her face and her knuckles turn white. Sadly, she doesn't swim and refuses to learn......
skipper53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 10:33   #11

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipper53 View Post
Sure different than my better half who is happy sitting in the cockpit with a book and a glass of wine, UNTIL I cast off and all the color drains from her face and her knuckles turn white. Sadly, she doesn't swim and refuses to learn......
Swimming won't help her much if she gets tossed in. A good pfd is much more important. I'm not much of a swimmer either, but I can float on my back to keep water out of my lungs as much as possible. If she can float and wears a pfd, she is as safe as she will ever be!
Old 25-11-2016, 10:41   #12

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38
Post Re: Female Heroes of the Sea and Sailors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juho View Post
Maybe there are lots of heroines who have understood and supported the needs of their husband to be recognized as a hero.
Oh you can do better can't you? Just because a man leaves his wife behind does not instantly relegate her to "supportive role". Instead she has been elevated to head of household and in many cases, head of the family business or farm too. Far from supporting her husband's whims, she is supporting herself and her children with intelligence, hard work and tough decision making. 10 lashes for your lax thinking, and 10 more for failing to recognize the real "hero"!
Old 25-11-2016, 10:49   #13

Mother Becker.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abigail_Becker

and a book about a bunch of them called "Hen Frigates: Wives of Merchant Captains Under Sail".
bill352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 10:58   #14

Boat: 33' Nonsuch

There's Ida Lewis, Newport, RI's answer to Grace Darling.
Ida_Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 11:14   #15

More related to our sailing community might be Susan Hiscock, Beryl Smeeton, Commador Tomkins mother, and all of the other women that went to sea when they didnt have freezers/watermakers/roller furlers/electronic everythings. They laid the ground work for many of us today that really have it much easier than people had 75/100 years ago. If it hadnt been for the unsung heros that sailed, navigated and risked their lives right along with their captains, our sailing community (I think) would be much smaller. Just my thoughts. _____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail