Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2016, 00:55   #61
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose
Re: Female Heroes of the Sea and Sailors

Did anyone mention Ida Lewis of Newport, RI?
Ida Lewis was born in Newport, Rhode Island, the oldest of four children of Captain Hosea Lewis of the Revenue Cutter Service. Her father was transferred to the Lighthouse Service and appointed keeper of Lime Rock Light on Lime Rock in Newport in 1854, taking his family to live on the rock in 1857.[1] When he had been at Lime Rock for less than four months, he had a stroke and became disabled. Ida expanded her domestic duties to include caring for him and a seriously ill sister and also, with her mother's assistance, tending the light: filling the lamp with oil at sundown and again at midnight, trimming the wick, polishing carbon off the reflectors, and extinguishing the light at dawn.

Since Lime Rock was completely surrounded by water, the only way to reach the mainland was by boat. By the age of 15 Ida had become known as the best swimmer in Newport. She rowed her younger siblings to school every weekday and fetched supplies from town as they were needed. She became very skilful at handling the heavy rowboat. An article in Harper's Weekly after Ida had rescued several people debated whether it was "feminine" for women to row boats, but concluded that none but a "donkey" would consider it "unfeminine" to save lives.

Ida and her mother tended the Lime Rock Light for her father from 1857 until 1873, when he died. Her mother was then appointed keeper, although Ida continued to do the keeper's work. By 1877, her mother's health was failing, leaving Ida with increased housekeeping and care-giving responsibilities. Her mother eventually died of cancer in 1887. Ida finally received the official appointment as keeper in 1879, largely through the efforts of an admirer, General Ambrose Everett Burnside, a Civil War hero who became a Rhode Island governor and United States senator. With a salary of $750 per year, Ida was for a time the highest-paid lighthouse keeper in the nation. The extra pay was given "in consideration of the remarkable services of Mrs. Wilson in the saving of lives".

Lewis made her first rescue in 1854, coming to the assistance of four men whose boat had capsized. She was 12 years old.[2]

Illustration of Ida Lewis rowing
Her most famous rescue occurred on March 29, 1869. Two soldiers, Sgt. James Adams and Pvt. John McLaughlin, were passing through Newport Harbor toward Fort Adams in a small boat, guided by a 14-year-old boy who claimed to know his way through the harbor. A snowstorm was churning the harbor's waters, and the boat overturned. The two soldiers clung to it, while the boy was lost in the icy water. Ida's mother saw the two in the water and called to Ida, who was suffering from a cold. Ida ran to her boat without taking the time to put on a coat or shoes. With the help of her younger brother, she was able to haul the two men into her boat and bring them to the lighthouse. One of them later gave a gold watch to Ida, and for her heroism she became the first woman to receive a gold Congressional medal for lifesaving. The soldiers at Fort Adams showed their appreciation by collecting $218 for Ida.

Because of her many rescues, Ida Lewis became the best-known lighthouse keeper of her day. During her 54 years on Lime Rock, she is credited with saving 18 lives,[3] although unofficial reports suggest the number may have been as high as 36. She kept no records of her lifesaving exploits. Ida's fame spread quickly after the 1869 rescue, for a reporter was sent from the New York Tribune to record her deeds. Articles also appeared in Harper's Weekly and Leslie's magazine among others. The Life Saving Benevolent Association of New York sent her a silver medal.[2] A parade was held in her honor in Newport on Independence Day, followed by the presentation of a sleek mahogany rowboat with red velvet cushions, gold braid around the gunwales, and gold-plated oarlocks. When she was 64, Ida became a life beneficiary of the Carnegie Hero Fund, receiving a monthly pension of $30.

On July 16, 1881, she was awarded the rare and prestigious Gold Lifesaving Medal from the United States government for her daring rescue on February 4, 1881, of two soldiers from Fort Adams who had fallen through the ice while attempting to return to the fort on foot.[4]

During her lifetime Ida Lewis was called "the Bravest Woman in America", and her exploits were detailed in the national press. She met President Ulysses S. Grant, Vice-President Schuyler Colfax, General William Tecumseh Sherman, and Admiral George Dewey, in addition to many of the wealthy and prominent people who summered in Newport.[5] Members of the Women's suffrage movement including Elizabeth Cady Stanton came to visit her and used her as an example of the inherent strength of women.[6] At least two pieces of music were named for her: the Ida Lewis Waltz and the Rescue Polka Mazurka. Ida Lewis hats and scarves were sold.

Ida Lewis' grave at Common Burying Ground
Her father amused himself by counting the people who came to the island to see Ida: there were often a hundred a day, and in one summer there were 9,000. She also received numerous gifts, letters, and even marriage proposals. In 1870 she married Captain William Wilson of Black Rock, Connecticut, but they separated after two years. She spent most of her career alone at Lime Rock.

Ida made her last recorded rescue when she was 63. A friend was rowing out to the lighthouse, stood up in her boat, lost her balance, and fell into the water. Ida rowed out to her and hauled her aboard.

Lewis died of a stroke on October 24, 1911, at the age of 69.[3] The bells of all the vessels in Newport Harbor tolled for her that night, and flags were at half staff throughout Newport. More than 1,400 people viewed her body at the Thames Street Methodist Church. Among the crowd that gathered to pay its respects were keepers Charles Schoeneman of Newport Harbor Light, Charles Curtis of Rose Island Light, O. F. Kirby of Gull Rocks Light, and Edward Fogerty of the Brenton Reef lightship. The captain and crew of a local lifesaving station in Newport were also present. Ida Lewis was buried in the Common Burying Ground in a prominent location so her grave can be seen by passers by.
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 01:27   #62

Boat: No boat..yet.every now and then they let me be the winch monkey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
One more, Dame Naomi James.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naomi_James

First women to sail around the world single-handed via Cape Horn.
A while ago her ride(Express Crusader) was on the market,not exactly a small boat.She also had a knock down during her rtw trip.
I believe it is a Gallant 53,awesome yacht!
JJ77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 04:24   #63

I don't know about the use of the word *hero* or *heroine*... but for sure there are many talent, competent and accomplished female sailors.

I met one remarkable female sailor when she was just 9yrs old in English Harbor living on her parent's Valient - Ghost Boat. Her name is Faraday Rosenberg.

She went on to become skipper of White Wings and has sailed in many races, skippered crossing ocean deliveries

Island Tripping with the Women of White Wings

Faraday Rosenberg is a Bright Spark on the Sailing Scene in 2010 - ALL AT SEA

She made this drawing for me onboard Shiva in 1992

Who knew???????????????
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jump Up Club.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	391.9 KB
ID:	137067  
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 11:59   #64

Boat: Comet 41s

I cannot believe that after 5 pages no one nominated Dee Caffari. She does not only old the women's westbound solo circumnavigation record as it is the only women that circumnavigated solo on both directions.

"In 2006, Caffari became the first woman to single-handedly circumnavigate the globe against prevailing winds and currents after 178 days at sea, having started in late 2005.

Just under three years later, in February 2009, Dee Caffari completed the Vendee Globe race, setting a new record and becoming the first woman to sail around the world in both directions."

Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 01:16   #65

Boat: no boat any more

my foremost heroine of the oceans is the lady*that
for three years patiently let her man spend all his sparetime building a boat without any recriminations that he might be neglecting her
then followed this landlocked mariner, that never had sailed on saltwater before, onboard his selfbuilt boat & trusted him with her life
spent 7 years of her twenties circumnavigating with him under conditions of utmost frugality & actually enjoying this spartan, on primitivity bordering life of adventure (bucket-loo...) all the while being a cheerful companion & lover
initiated after 1 year ashore the pruchase of another boat & again set off with him direction South Pacific
bore their child halfway around the world,*never missing*a nightwatch, to deliver it in their dream-location, in raiatea
completed their second rtw with the baby on board, mastering several heartstopping episodes in the Red Sea...
after three years again set off with their son & him on their third voyage, schooled the at-times-intractable primary-schooler on board to return after another circumnavigation full of unforgettable experiences
took up the forgotten landlocked life after 18 years "away", smoothed his "passage ashore", made & still makes a success of it
now far along in her fifties has stayed young at heart & is making approving sound when he is ruminating about "the next*boat"...
she is my true heroine, the*lady of my life, companion of 39 wife of 29 years & first mate for more than 100000 blue-water miles, the woman indispensible for the fullfilment of all my dreams, whom I'll be deeply grateful to till my dying day
double u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 01:51   #66

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Nice post, UU, and I agree: a heroic woman with a track record to be envied.

And that sentiment from a guy with a heroic dame of his own!

Jim
Old 29-11-2016, 04:16   #67

Nobody mentioned the first women to have circumnavigated? Not any Polish guy or lady around?

Krystyna Chojnowska-Liskiewicz. Sure, she did have done it by the cape horn but she had done it with this small 32ft boat:

While Naomi James (already mentioned), that circumnavigated by the Horn, some time after, has done that with this big 53ft boat:

Old 29-11-2016, 04:33   #68
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post
my foremost heroine of the oceans is the lady*that
for three years patiently let her man spend all his sparetime building a boat without any recriminations that he might be neglecting her
then followed this landlocked mariner, that never had sailed on saltwater before, onboard his selfbuilt boat & trusted him with her life
spent 7 years of her twenties circumnavigating with him under conditions of utmost frugality & actually enjoying this spartan, on primitivity bordering life of adventure (bucket-loo...) all the while being a cheerful companion & lover
initiated after 1 year ashore the pruchase of another boat & again set off with him direction South Pacific
bore their child halfway around the world,*never missing*a nightwatch, to deliver it in their dream-location, in raiatea
completed their second rtw with the baby on board, mastering several heartstopping episodes in the Red Sea...
after three years again set off with their son & him on their third voyage, schooled the at-times-intractable primary-schooler on board to return after another circumnavigation full of unforgettable experiences
took up the forgotten landlocked life after 18 years "away", smoothed his "passage ashore", made & still makes a success of it
now far along in her fifties has stayed young at heart & is making approving sound when he is ruminating about "the next*boat"...
she is my true heroine, the*lady of my life, companion of 39 wife of 29 years & first mate for more than 100000 blue-water miles, the woman indispensible for the fullfilment of all my dreams, whom I'll be deeply grateful to till my dying day
WOW!
I am a fan now of that heroic woman!
Lucky guy who has a gal like that as a partner and shipmate!
I sure wish I was that lucky!
Thanks for sharing with us something about her.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 04:35   #69
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
I cannot believe that after 5 pages no one nominated Dee Caffari. She does not only old the women's westbound solo circumnavigation record as it is the only women that circumnavigated solo on both directions.

"In 2006, Caffari became the first woman to single-handedly circumnavigate the globe against prevailing winds and currents after 178 days at sea, having started in late 2005.

Just under three years later, in February 2009, Dee Caffari completed the Vendee Globe race, setting a new record and becoming the first woman to sail around the world in both directions."

POLUX,
I am glad you are adding some names we may not know. Actually, that goes for everyone in this thread.

The point of the thread is to honor some of the female sailors who have inspired us, helped us, and have been or may become our "heroes."

I know I am learning new ones to admire as I read the many interesting posts.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 04:42   #70

Boat: no boat any more

...& funnily enough, steady hand: she's no "germanic valkyrie" or russian shotputter, but more of a diminutively sizes 5'3"-gal...
double u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 06:55   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
POLUX,
I am glad you are adding some names we may not know. Actually, that goes for everyone in this thread.

The point of the thread is to honor some of the female sailors who have inspired us, helped us, and have been or may become our "heroes."

I know I am learning new ones to admire as I read the many interesting posts.
Humm, so you want more?

Shame on the Australians for not naming Kay Cottee. I am not one and I am proud of her, the first lady that sailed solo, without assistance and by the horn. She had done that on a 37ft boat.

DVD - Kay Cottee "First Lady"
Old 29-11-2016, 15:36   #72

Boat: Buccaneer 27; Hobie 18

I've served with several women who I consider heroes. I've seen them train as hard as the men, exhibit outstanding seamanship and leadership, save more than a few lives, and millions in property.
Boatswain2PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 15:51   #73

Not really a sailor but The Hungry Ocean by skipper Linda Greenlaw is a good read of a woman in a man's offshore fishing world.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 17:10   #74

I have been posting about women that made women's records (circumnavigations) but sailing, particularly offshore solo sailing, is one of the few sports where women can play in equal terms with men in what regards sport.

The case of Sam Davies and Ellen Mac Arthur are good examples but there are others and from the young girls of the new generation I would like to name the Swiss Justine Mettraux, she is just starting:

I believe most here knows about the mini transat where all young tallented solo sailors try to make a name, some of them already professionals. On the 2013 mini transat (France- Brazil) lined 84 racers, 31 protos and 53 production boats.

Justine raced with a production boat and finished 2nd on the class and 7th overall beating most of the faster protos. That's my kind of girl

Old 04-12-2016, 14:04   #75

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

Ida, Grace, UU...and the many more unknown.

I have few words... Admiration, Respect, Prayers

Greatest thread ever! Hurrah CF :-)
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail