Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2016, 10:43   #31

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Does anyone measure distance in "Cables"?

I use cables on a regular basis. I say 0.2 of a nautical mile is 2 cables.

I use this nearly always when reporting my distance off another boat or shore. (e.g. anchored 1 cable off the beach, etc.)

If the phrase is new to you, you can be the iThing generation of sailors.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 11:26   #32

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I use cables on a regular basis. I say 0.2 of a nautical mile is 2 cables.

I use this nearly always when reporting my distance off another boat or shore. (e.g. anchored 1 cable off the beach, etc.)

If the phrase is new to you, you can be the iThing generation of sailors.

b.
No, I'm not a member of the iThing generation of sailors. I just believe in clear communication over the radio. My question is how common is it to hear distances measured in cables when a commercial vessel is communicating with a pleasure craft. In previous radio communications with other vessels, we have managed to get along nicely using nautical miles or some fraction thereof.

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 11:34   #33

Boat: Custom sailing catamaran

Cables for 1/10 of a nuatical mile, are standard usage for all professional mariners worldwide. Including the USA.
It is in the standard Maritime vocabulary used by seafarers.
It is also an adjunct/allowable unit for SI/Metric.
Nautical miles and cables are fractions of the earths circumference, which means they can be directly related to the angular measurements used in Astro navigation.

Why the USA still uses such absurdities as pounds per cubic foot, i can only put down to the same type of collective insanity they have about terrorists, guns and choosing their Presidents'.
KJThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 11:39   #34

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I use cables to discuss short distances, less than a mile. Useful when discussing anchorages or tight passages between islands. Common? I find that most sailing and navigation terms are not common to most people, but I enjoy the terminology.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 11:40   #35

Haven't you heard? "Making America great again" will include the compulsory use of the "cable" as a measurement ;-0)?

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 11:44   #36

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Alan Lucas' Cruising Guides use cables, as well. Harbors measured in cables are pretty durn small, imo.

Ann
Old 06-11-2016, 11:44   #37

Boat: Custom sailing catamaran

Never heard of chain measured in shots. I suspect it is an archaic British/current US term. Chain is measured in shackles. The length between joining shackles.
KJThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 11:47   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

The last time the subject of arcane measurements came up I recall someone suggested measuring speed in furlongs per fortnight.

skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 12:31   #39

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Not since I was a cabin boy. Is a shot not a weight of chain measuring the amount that can be put in a barrel?
I guess I need to stand corrected. It appears to be a manufacturing length of approx. 90 ft. or shackle to shackle. Interesting along with the length of a cable. I have a hard enough trouble with yards and meters. Nice for info. not for common usage.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 12:45   #40

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Good thread... IMHO, nautical miles and fractions thereof should be used for all measurements... too much mental effort for me to deal with light years, miles, Kilometers, meters, yards, feet, inches, cm, mm, stones, gauge
Old 06-11-2016, 12:51   #41

Someone suggested measuring speed in furlongs per fortnight.

A perfectly sensible thing to do! Depends on the task before you :-)

Ann is on to something without having said so explicitly: It is the EFFLUXION OF TIME that matters to most of us in most circumstances. Isn't that what docking is all about - your reaction time, your ship's reaction time and the distance travelled in a given unit of time? Giving yourself TIME to do what needs doing, regardless of what the distances involved are.

Miles don't mean much in TrentePieds cos to travel a mile takes about 12 minutes. To travel a cable-length takes about a count of seventy elephants "One elephant, two elephant....". To travel a boat-length takes about a count of 3 elephants.

I react in some fraction of a second, say, a tenth, so in a sailboat I don't even count that. Regrettably, TrentePieds is wheel steered, which is absurd in a thirty footer, so her reaction time is unnecessarily l-o-o-o-o-o-n-g despite her being a fin-keeler. Say 9 elephants to alter 8 points - or 1 point per elephant with one spoke of helm on.

A baby-cruiser is a helluvalot easier to dock, and to control in tight quarters, if she is tiller steered than if she is wheel-steered.

TrentePieds
Old 06-11-2016, 13:04   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJThomas View Post
Never heard of chain measured in shots. I suspect it is an archaic British/current US term. Chain is measured in shackles. The length between joining shackles.
What? You never watch the reality tv show "Below Deck"? When anchoring, the captain of the mega yacht Valor usually shouts "Give me 3 shots!"

Heck, I plan on doing the same next time to impress my fellow yotties that are all within earshot...

"Standby to drop anchor! We are now 2 cables from the Willy T Bar and Grill. Give me 3 shots baby!!

Belay that! We don't have that much chain. Give me ONE shot baby!....jolly good, now give me a half shot baby!"

I just know my fellow yotties will all be impressed as hell.
Old 06-11-2016, 13:14   #43

Boat: Westerly Sealord

I assume the use of the word 'shot' is a merkinism....

British usage is to call the 'shackles' when anchoring a big ship.. and to ring the focsle bell as stated before ... 3 rings for 3 shackles, 2 for 2, and a rapid ringing of the bell when aweigh.

However.. on this wee ship we don't have shackles.... just a single length of chain... so we mark and call by the 10 metre... or meter if you wish...
Old 06-11-2016, 13:43   #44

10 metre marks are a pain. I like to drop the hook where I, at low water, will have one fathom under me all within the circle of my swing. That'll rise to 6 or 7 fathoms at high water on a typical spring tide around here. 6 fathoms and a scope of 7 is 42 fathoms. 40 fathoms is close enuff, so my cable is marked every five fathoms. Unconventional, but it works for me. Guess what 5 fathoms converts to in metres ;-0)!

TrentePieds
Old 06-11-2016, 13:50   #45

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Bottom hereabouts usually rises to 'green' on the chart real quick ... so I normally anchor ( swinging ... no shore lines up here in the subtropical Golfo de Corcovado ) in 5 fathoms and lay out 2 shackles.... on deck

Tags
cables