Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2014, 11:18   #16

Re: Do You Cruise with Product Logos & Advertising?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Ya but have you checked the value that "gear" brings to the price of a boat these days? You are usually far better off stripping off the "cruising gear" and selling it at a flea market than thinking it will increase the valve of your boat.
Actually, I was refering to individual pieces of gear. Example: He repainted the dingy outboard cover. If he goes to sell the outboard, he is likely to get less than it would sell for with the original appearance.

If it makes you feel better, go for it but understand it will likely cost you some money.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2014, 11:19   #17
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Maybe we can get paid by advertisers to mount custom billboards, or sails on boats displaying the latest crop of consumerism , and get paid to go cruising....
It happens in the racing world, but not that I've seen for cruisers.

Maybe the mods can ask the man.....er, person behind the curtain, how much they will pay us to put cruisersforum.com down the sides of our boats?

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2014, 11:30   #18
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Gee, all this time I though my boat's name was "West Marine"
No kidding. I'm sure the West in Kemah missed us when we left in 2012.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mini with <a title=dinghy, motor, and anchor.jpg Views: 93 Size: 418.8 KB ID: 88688" style="margin: 2px" />

Have no fear, they are still alive (and expanded) since we left. Actually, the store in Kemah is one of the best around, with some very knowledgeable cruisers working there.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2014, 11:39   #19

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Not to mention that for some of us, the boat will never be sold, least while we still breath.

Maybe we should look at it from the opposite direction. Maybe we can get paid by advertisers to mount custom billboards, or sails on boats displaying the latest crop of consumerism , and get paid to go cruising....

OK Madison ave, give me a ring.......
That's what made me interested in this thread - I thought - Maybe we could get paid to advertise Probably still not out of the question - just would need to be in the right place with the right visibility.
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2014, 11:56   #20

Boat: Currently boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Actually, I was refering to individual pieces of gear. Example: He repainted the dingy outboard cover. If he goes to sell the outboard, he is likely to get less than it would sell for with the original appearance.

If it makes you feel better, go for it but understand it will likely cost you some money.
Strangely enough this is exactly the reason we painted our outboard. The decreased value makes it less attractive to steal. Also, in certain brands you cant tell a 15hp from a 10hp by the case so without the stickers it is unclear what you have.

Not a close up but you can see it here:
3.jpg (image)
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2014, 12:31   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
One time my mom bought a pair of black reboks for my dad. As soon as she got them home she pulled out the sharpie and carefully filled in the white lettering because she wasn't going to have him walking around advertising for rebok...we started keeping a closer eye on her after that.

I get your point but it's not something that will keep me up at night.

Of course the down side is when it comes time for resale, you probably just shaved 20-40% off the price for a lot of these items because people are going to question what was wrong that you had to redo the paint?
I had a great laugh from this because I did the exact same treatment to a pair of black Reboks that I bought years ago! It's not as though the thoughts are "keeping me up at night", but I do like making my things more generalized than branded advertising.

As for value lost, like SailorChic34, I have no concerns. I've had my boat for thirty years and I use and repair my gear until it has little value left. Yesterday, I bought a pack of small compression springs to fix a door latch from my head. I know more people toss out their forty year old $8 latches instead of repairing them. ...... "when it comes time for resale" just doesn't happen for people that use their stuff until it's no longer functional.

Oh, and RTB, I am totally with you concerning the "Life Sling"! I have mine covered with Sunbrella!
Old 23-09-2014, 13:07   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
Wish this was the most important thing I had to worry about on my boat. When I set priorities on my do do list this ranks right before looking for big foot.
I used to have a mercury BigFoot outboard on my boat. I never had to look for it, it was always on the back of the boat! Another check for the to do list!
Of course if I had removed the stickers.........
L
lillia28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise