Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2017, 17:40   #1

Boat: Beneteau 321
Boat Swap - Curious

I am retiring and planning to spend more time in the Puerto Vallarta - Bay of Banderas area. I plan to be in the area during the winter months.
I have a Beneteau 321 that I sail out of Victoria, British Columbia. I love my boat and have cared for it dearly. I have refurbished the boat and she is definitely my pride and joy.
So, here's my question. Do any of you have experience with trading boats? It seems to make sense to me that I could trade a month of sailing in the Bay of Banderas for a month of sailing in the Pacific Northwest. I envision using someone else's boat for a month in the winter and trading for the use of my boat for a month in the summer.
While I love cruising the San Juan and Gulf Islands in the summer I'd be willing to give up a month for a reciprocal arrangement in Mexico in the winter.
I've been online and have seen lots of international house swaps. I'm curious if any of you have any experience with doing the same with boats.
Any experience or advice is welcome.
Thanks.
Plangstraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2017, 18:03   #2
rbk

Boat: T37
Re: Boat Swap - Curious

Would you truly trust a stranger with your pride and joy? That said I’d get on a bene owners forum and see about meeting up with other owners. Plan on crewing and hosting crew until both feel comfortable loaning each other boats. Other option would be to charter down south and maybe consider selling and buying one in southern latitudes.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2017, 18:35   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Would you truly trust a stranger with your pride and joy? and in hurricane season? I would not be able to trust someone unknown to me to tie her up properly for a hurricane. I would want to see to that preparation myself, but ymmv.

A.
Old 27-12-2017, 07:22   #4

We did many, many house exchanges, including cars, started well before the internet, so snail mail was used for all arrangements. We've had boats since about back then, too.

In all those years, I've heard this concept raised and few, if any, have ever come to fruition.

How many people do you know who you would let dock your boat?

In all my years sailing, there are less than a handful of people I would trust to take my boat out without me along, and only one actually has.

Boats are different than cars and houses. Just ask any dock...
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2017, 08:22   #5

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

If you ignore human nature it is still a bad idea. Being realistic it is an awful idea!
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2017, 08:27   #6

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Depending on your budget it may be worth looking at buying a second boat, maybe as a boat share with other Canadians? I am sure you are not the only one who thinks this sounds like a good plan. You would be amazed at prices around the canal zone and also you need a quite different type of setup to cope with tropical conditions compared to where you are. The other factor is that you want to use the boat down south in their peak season.
My experience of getting anyone to look after my boat is that it is very difficult to find people who are competent anywhere in the Central American or Carri bean area.
As a PS, if you are looking for crew any time this spring I am working in Duncan until July and would welcome a chance to sail as my boat is currently in Panama.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2017, 08:29   #7

Boat: Beneteau 321

Good and valid points. Interesting to me, though. I see many house swaps including the use of vehicles. I care for my BMW as much as I care for my boat. Yet, it appears that people are willing to swap cars.
I understand that parking in the driveway is different from docking a boat but I would assume that in a boat swap both owners would have experience and be equally concerned about the care of their boats.
Perhaps some sort of "damage deposit" might work?
Plangstraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2017, 09:16   #8

Boat: Boatless

We shared a boat for many years and it was GREAT!!!

That being said very unique to have a situation like that work out.

Was with a trusted long term friend (still friends). Both parties financially stable. Simple rule, leave her better than you found her.

If you can get the magic mix it really opens up a whole world of opportunities.

The best was the boat always ending up somewhere different.

Best of luck. Good idea in theory, due diligence!

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2017, 09:25   #9

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

I think it all comes down to insurance, if the insurers are happy, go for it.
Old 27-12-2017, 10:25   #10

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

Apparently over 100% of charter boats are sunk or damaged beyond repair. At least that is how it sounds on this particular thread.
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2017, 11:00   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

Well the voice of doom has been heard from the naysayers. I on the other hand have been trying to arrange a "boat swap" with a boat owner in the Northeast for my boat in The Netherlands. I would be willing to swap for up to six weeks and I can throw in a car to use if one wants to explore the land.'

Otherwise, with six weeks, one can reach the Baltic, Scotland, go all around the UK, head south to France.

I am offering a 1973 Pearson 36 that has undergone a 10 year complete refit, fully equipped with Givens Lifebuoy, dinghy, 6hp Yamaha, Raymarine electronics with C120, radar and AIS transceiver. The interior has been completely redone as has the exterior. New standing rigging and the sails are in top condition. Three burner Eno Gasgone oven and a 110 liter Dometic refrigerator (no freezer). The Yanmar 3GM30F has 1400 hours on it and just had the heat exchanger cleaned and the Balmar alternator overhauled.

As far as I am concerned seeing photos of a well maintained boat is the sign of a good captain. I would expect the swapee to be as careful with my boat as I would be with theirs.

The boat is berthed at Compagnieshaven in Enkhuizen which is a 5 gold anchor marina in a beautiful 16th century Dutch village.

I have a manual for all the systems on the boat and can send photos. Here is a link to a video of a trip we made to the Channel Islands in 2015.

Short video of Skylark's vacation:
https://vimeo.com/133183259
Password: SkylarkNY
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2017, 11:18   #12

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherchronica View Post
Apparently over 100% of charter boats are sunk or damaged beyond repair. At least that is how it sounds on this particular thread.
Nobody lists something they consider their "pride and joy" with a charter agent.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2017, 12:16   #13

Question Re: Boat Swap - Curious

Good idea but two major problems to overcome to be practical.
1/ Finding someone who Capable and Willing of looking after your pride and joy the way you do.
2/ Finding the Perfect location. IE Good for All Seasons.
Bandares Bay may be Perfect in Winter but the Humidity might be a Killer in Summer.
Ferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2017, 13:54   #14

Boat: Boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
I think it all comes down to insurance, if the insurers are happy, go for it.
No no no no no

Character
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2017, 14:21   #15
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

I have thought of doing the same, but would approach it cautiously.

After verifying each parties qualifications and commitment it would be with the understanding that the first 2 or 3 days are "qualifying" days where you sail together to learn both boat and visiting Skipper's competence levels
Either party can decline to allow the visitor to skipper the boat if for real reasons but would come along as the unpaid skipper to fulfil the agreement.
My own boat being larger and more complicated would require something like this.

The long term hope is that would become a regular trade
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat