Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2010, 19:14   #1

Curious Future Traveler

Dreams of sailing from Seattle to ????? anywhere west
Just how do you carry all those charts, you'd need a tanker?

What systems do you use, what charts (electronic or paper) what electronic gadgets do you have onboard?

Still building - want to be sure I equip the boat correctly

Thanks
colo.sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2010, 23:12   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
I'm sorry, but your question is probably too vague to be answered in a meaningful way. What type of boat are you building, what is your cruising goals and what type of lifestyle do you want going there?
I carry all my charts beneath my navigation table. And I use electronic also (Garmin 545) There are many ways to navigate, and you should have in mind what you want to do.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 10:04   #3

more details

Actually, I was just asking what you used/had on board as a starting point BUT, since you asked ...

I'm building a 22-foot cutter, wood! Sailing solo to points unknown. Minimum electrical/battery bank/solar ... maybe an outboard or no motor.
When I lived aboard/cruised a 40-Formosa, storing the charts rolled and in racks between the supports of the cabin top was ideal. But this boat IS much smaller and I'll be going a lot further from home port.

Do small cruisers on average have radar? Weather Fax? Paper or electronic charts? Can you get a decent, small, inexpensive GPS that doesn't require uploading charts but still provides chartview over just basic Lat/Long readings?

All just a starting point for me. I'm sure the conversation will open more questions

Thanks
Old 25-02-2010, 14:43   #4

Boat: Island Packet 380
Most boats that size do not have radar.

Most people get weather from VHF or Sirius/XM radio (both coastal), or SSB for offshore.

Any handheld GPS gives lat/long. Not sure why you would want them displayed over a grid of lat/long lines as you would have to plot them on a chart to make them meaningful anyway. The next step up is a chartplotter that requires you to purchase electronic charts. You should still have paper charts as a backup. And even on a small boat they are not a huge space filler. You only need them for where you plan to go.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 18:15   #5

Boat: a sailing boat
22 is very small. Most boats this size have very little eqip as very little is necessary to sail lakes / inshore waters. Whatever is necessary will already make the boat pretty loaded.

Yet, some boats of this size will have many toys, radar included.

In any voyage where I might run into any risk of getting lost, I would still like to have (budget permitting) a small GPS plotter AND the paper chart. Budget not permitting, a paper chart. In some areas a little plotter will have an edge over paper chart - e.g. in fjord type of coast with many rocks and side chanels. If the coast is miles of sandy beach, then you will be very happy with just a paper chart.

Another thing worth having is some sort of radio to pick up the weather forecast. The type depends on what the best source of forecast there is in your area.

A motor, can be outboard, is also very nice to have.

Nav lights, if you plan to sail at night.

Windvane, if you plan to sail alone.

Just imagine the area you want to use your boat in, then if you can do without something, do without it.

Travel light.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 19:55   #6

update, part II

The boat I'm building is similar to a Flicka - 5000# full keel. (GlenL Amigo)
Not your typical 22 foot lightweight racer or weekender.

I've done my share of coastal and lake sailing, plans are a trip to Alaska and back first summer, take off across the Pacific second year with no return trip planned, just keep heading west.
I'm not a greenhorn, used GPS, charts, etc.... just never to the extent planned and with no set plans, where do you start acquiring charts of the world for destinations unknown? Charts are expensive, take space and care to store...
Keep sharing your thoughts

Thx
Old 25-02-2010, 20:19   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
In Canada there is requirement that you have paper charts though no-one seems to check. I'm a novice and for my part I like having both the chart plotter and the paper charts. I have both them beside me while I'm at the wheel of my sailing vessel and check all unfamiliar water carefully. I have charts of all the waters I plan on being on this year and will buy more next year should I broaden my scope. I don't see the pont to carrying charts until I have a plan on being on those waters. YMMV.
hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2010, 09:52   #8

We buy charts before passages. No need earlier as our plans are very vague and only get less so after we reach another 'point-of-no-return'. Some places are very good to buy / swap charts - esp. where many cruisers converge (e.g.Panama, RSA, Canary Islands). I never found paper charts expensive. A C-map cartridge can be around EUR 150 (USD 250), which buys us 10 paper charts. Now with 10 paper charts I can go from Europe to the West Indies and back. We also found paper charts easier to swap. So, it is a great help to have a GPS with a plotter, but not something one cannot go without.

What is GlenL Amigo? I know a Swedish 23' Amigo, but it is not something you can build. You can still buy and outfit them for less that 10k. Great little cruising boats! But I guess you are building something else.

b.

b.
Old 26-02-2010, 13:30   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Glen-L is a company that sells boat plans, mostly made of plywood. I do not know what the Amigo is constructed of, since I have not seen the plans...
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2010, 06:00   #10

THX newt,

Found the design. Seen them s/h for 3-5k. Building one must be more expensive.

b.