Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2009, 12:28   #61

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Oh why is nothing simple? Unless I bought the boat very very cheaply, once again, importing a US boat is going to break the bank. Shipping, tax, certification, wiring to code etc is going to cost as much if not more than the boat and thats going to push it over the edge. Thank you guys for your kind help, im going to have to ponder this one.
Old 19-08-2009, 12:35   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman_Tx View Post
HeHe, I know, damn me all to hell for opening THAT can of worms again(formosa).
Re: the Yorktown: oops I think that's a doghouse aft, sry bout that. But the Marine Trading ketch, I haven't heard anything about these. Anyone?

PS Marmite - same as VitaMite or is it Vegamite? VitaMeataVegamine? ;o)
Aussies have their version called Vegimite. Very tasty with extra chillies.Germany and France showed sign this week that for the first time in 6 months their economy grew by 0.1%. We, on the other hand now have so much debt thanks to flash gordon, I forsee our recession lasting a while longer yet. having said that, some boats are moving fast. Prices certainly dont seem to be falling and are no where near as low as in the States when you compare boat for boat, pound for dollar. I dont think playing a waiting game here is going to provide much saving, unlike in the States where the pain is still ongoing.
Old 19-08-2009, 12:54   #63

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
- - Way back when in these discussions I mentioned that if you are buying a "used" boat - fairly old one - to allow for an amount of money equal to the purchase price of the boat for getting it ready to sail. Boats less than ten years old probably require much less "re-work" to get them ready to go. And anything 30+ years will probably require more than your paid for the boat to get it back to ocean ready status.
- - Nobody told me that when I bought my 34 year old boat at a great bargain price and I sure found out the hard way.
- - But there are a few "gems" out in the rough that can really make your day if you find one. But on average, take your total budget and divide it in half, then look for a boat in that price range. But remember the prices you see "listed" are rarely, if ever, the actual selling price. On average the actual selling price is about 1/3 less than the asking price. The variation is caused by the condition of the boat; the seller's panic to sell it; your panic to buy it; and overall market conditions - even the season of the year.
- - One of the reasons cruisers are such a coherent solid community of great people is the result of having the determination, perserverance, and acquired knowledge necessary just to get to the point of actually setting sail. Everybody else gives up and buys a RV.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 12:58   #64

"Oh why is nothing simple? Unless I bought....." yea.... welcome to a world where big brother looks out for you..... The US isnt so bad as the EU yet.... but I imagine it's coming...
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 13:05   #65

Yeah, our plethora of health and safety, human rights etc has driven a lot of manufacturing overseas to the cheaper countries, and conversly, our enhanced social qualities are a magnet for illegal and economic migrants, all looking for the gold paved streets of great britain. Its made everything so expensive.
anjou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 13:37   #66

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
Sounds like it's time to emigrate to the good ole' US of A.....just long enough to get a boat and haul ass SOUTH!

I've been thinking very hard about a palapa on the beach and a Cat on the hook in Ecuador........
and peace and tranquility reign forever!
1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch
Fishman_Tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 13:43   #67

Ive never been to the USA and dont even know if you will have me. Im a good girl, never been in trouble, never done drugs, Im a loyal upholder of democracy and not wanted by anyone, but thanks to a shoe bomber who had a Brit passport, we are all tared with the same brush. My daddy died working for Uncle Sam, but I doubt that would cut any ice. If its customary to knock 1/3 off the sale price, I could have a real bargain, provided I didnt have to bring it to UK waters.
Old 19-08-2009, 13:53   #68

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
Florida is VERY nice this time of year. And if your Dad died in the service of Uncle Sam you actually MIGHT have something to work with. Service related or civil? Actually, it would be fairly easy for you to emigrate here. Just go thru Mexico! (Just Kidding).

Aw we'll take you anyway, just look at that face! Isn't she cute, officer? She can't be a TERRORIST! No!

Not meaning to start a racial ruckus here, but you don't fit the "profile". Seriously.
Old 19-08-2009, 14:01   #69

Sssssshhhh, dont mention the 'T' word, spooks are listening. Of course im cute, with a face only a mother could love. If i were to marry, I could get in that way, couldnt I?
Old 19-08-2009, 14:21   #70

Why Yes You Could

But first you have to come here on a work Visa so you can trap...uh uh ..I mean attract a gentleman that's to your taste!

Honestly tho, with your Dad's service, you shouldn't have any trouble coming to visit or to work should you so desire. Here, is a great place to be. Come for a visit, travel the country, find an area you like and settle in. Citizenship is just a matter of time and red tape.
Old 19-08-2009, 14:37   #71

Hmmmm, I hope its not mandatory to eat junk food, fries, drink freezing cold watered down beer and watch basketball? Apart from that, bring it on.
Old 19-08-2009, 14:42   #72

hmmm....

"Im a good girl, never been in trouble, never done drugs,...."
Hmmm.....Not sure you'll fit in, we like them hot and wet with cheap beer in hand... like this...:
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 14:48   #73

Yeah and im old enough to almost be her grandma.
Old 19-08-2009, 15:23   #74

You CAN'T be THAT old, I've seen your pictures! You can't be more than 30!!
Quote:
Of course im cute, with a face only a mother could love.
Just your mum? I thought you were cuter than that...
(Yes I'm kissing butt!)
Old 20-08-2009, 01:43   #75

Big 50 next year. gulp, Aghhhhhhhh