Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2021, 11:34   #31

Boat: Allmand 31
Re: Anyone using the Spry waterproof drone?

Anyone have any experience/comments/improvement?
with the 2021 'SPRY PLUS WATERPROOF DRONE'?
Paradox111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 17:59   #32

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner

I can’t contribute to the why’s and wherefores of any particular drone because I’ve never owned one. I have however tried to employ three “professional” drone pilots, for good money, to take the ultimate shot of my brigantine schooner under full sail in Florida. All three have websites extolling their expertise, and showing superb shots of just about everything—except sailboats.
I explained to these people that the wind might be 15 knots, on the beam. The boat might be traveling at six or seven knots. The sea would not be very rough, depending on where we were, especially in the Intracoastal.
Yet they all ultimately cried off, saying it was too difficult to land their expensive drones on the boat, and the risk of crashing in the water was too great.
So what are the problems of flying a drone on a moving sailboat, apart from the obvious one of ditching the little baby?
I wouldn’t think it would it be a fat lot of good having a waterproof floating machine either, because keeping sight of such a small object, after we’ve furled five sails and turned around under power, would be practically impossible.
So who would be brave enough to venture into the unknown, around New Bern, North Carolina, in about a months’ time, and make the front cover of one of the major boating magazines?
Old 03-11-2021, 01:30   #33

Boat: Landfall 39 - Ron Amy

This summer while we were ghosting along in very light winds I managed to get a couple drone pics. Landing the thing was super stressful. It didn’t help that my battery wasn’t nearly as charged as I’d thought it was and all the alarms going off were extremely distracting as I attempted to match the boat speed and bring it in without hitting any rigging. Ideally probably better to have someone else there to snatch it out of the air when you’ve gotten it close. Click image for larger version

Name:	0B952D65-C4B1-442D-AB98-FCA47150B66D.jpeg
Views:	61
Size:	189.5 KB
ID:	247741
Oeanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 03:24   #34

Boatpix.com
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 03:31   #35

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oeanda View Post
This summer while we were ghosting along in very light winds I managed to get a couple drone pics. Landing the thing was super stressful. It didn’t help that my battery wasn’t nearly as charged as I’d thought it was and all the alarms going off were extremely distracting as I attempted to match the boat speed and bring it in without hitting any rigging. Ideally probably better to have someone else there to snatch it out of the air when you’ve gotten it close. Attachment 247741
I agree catching it is the tricky part. That's were the floating and tracking drone has a big plus.

Add a large zip tie to the top and land it in the water. Than retrieve it with the boat hook.

The drone continues to show its location on screen, so if the waves are not too high you should be able to find it.

If the image quality and stabilisation of the Spry gets better, it would be a good option. Looks much more robust than the Splash drone.
Old 03-11-2021, 04:38   #36

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Another non-drone-user here. I followed this thread way back when it was first posted.

If I were marketing a waterproof drone for use on boats, I'd want the ability to return to a "landing pad" that's not in a fixed position. Maybe a homing signal or a visually distinct pattern that the camera could pick up. Or are they not that smart yet?

I'm too old to learn to fly (and land) a drone. I have trouble with remote control toy boats, and that's only two dimensions. If I were to buy a drone, it would have to be able to return and land itself. Anyone ever hear of one that can do that?
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 05:30   #37

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Another non-drone-user here. I followed this thread way back when it was first posted.

If I were marketing a waterproof drone for use on boats, I'd want the ability to return to a "landing pad" that's not in a fixed position. Maybe a homing signal or a visually distinct pattern that the camera could pick up. Or are they not that smart yet?

I'm too old to learn to fly (and land) a drone. I have trouble with remote control toy boats, and that's only two dimensions. If I were to buy a drone, it would have to be able to return and land itself. Anyone ever hear of one that can do that?
The Swellpro drones (=Splash Drone & Spry) have a return to home which returns it to the location of the remote control.
Old 03-11-2021, 05:37   #38

Boat: J/88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
I can’t contribute to the why’s and wherefores of any particular drone because I’ve never owned one. I have however tried to employ three “professional” drone pilots, for good money, to take the ultimate shot of my brigantine schooner under full sail in Florida. All three have websites extolling their expertise, and showing superb shots of just about everything—except sailboats.
I explained to these people that the wind might be 15 knots, on the beam. The boat might be traveling at six or seven knots. The sea would not be very rough, depending on where we were, especially in the Intracoastal.
Yet they all ultimately cried off, saying it was too difficult to land their expensive drones on the boat, and the risk of crashing in the water was too great.
So what are the problems of flying a drone on a moving sailboat, apart from the obvious one of ditching the little baby?
I wouldn’t think it would it be a fat lot of good having a waterproof floating machine either, because keeping sight of such a small object, after we’ve furled five sails and turned around under power, would be practically impossible.
So who would be brave enough to venture into the unknown, around New Bern, North Carolina, in about a months’ time, and make the front cover of one of the major boating magazines?
Have you seen the footage taken by drone of the last Volvo Ocean Race? There are some videos of the pilots flying the drones in some pretty wild conditions!
Old 04-11-2021, 05:15   #39

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
The Swellpro drones (=Splash Drone & Spry) have a return to home which returns it to the location of the remote control.
That sounds like something I could handle. Thanks!!
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water