Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2015, 05:40   #1
cruiser

Waterproof Video Drone

We're looking to purchase a video drone to use from our boat. I'm familiar with the DJI models, but I'd like to know if anyone has found a high quality waterproof model? There's a mariner model out there, but I haven't found many reviews. Has anyone fitted and used a stabilizer gimbal on the Mariner model?

Please post any experiences you've had regarding drones... 'looks like fun, my wife's looking forward to bringing her photography to new heights. We're looking for a drone which will broadcast video back to the controller while in flight, so we can see what we're doing in real time via Gopro 3 or the camera which comes with the drone. It doesn't look like the Mariner model offers the ability to watch the video via the controller, smartphone or ipad.

Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2015, 06:44   #2

Boat: Lagoon 450
Re: Waterproof Video Drone

We are about to buy the Mariner with the video transmission option for my birthday. We decided against the gimbal as it is not waterproof. I hope to have it (and learn how to fly it) before heading to St Maarten for the Heineken Cup Regatta in March. I will try and remember to report back when it arrives.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Catopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2015, 21:12   #3

Recently crashed my dji phantom in the water did not survive. Careful flying with wifi and gopro range only about 200ft line of sight and is slow and can freeze. My video feed froze and hit the water not realizing how low I was. Ordered today the dji inspire 1, it has built in lightbridge system hd video communication up to one mile. Order with two remote controls and the admiral can operate the camera while I pilot. It now will be something we do together.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Sailingcouple13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2015, 22:06   #4

Boat: 55'alloy performance cruiser

There we go , some idiot flying over my boat in a quiet anchorage with his drone. I guess this is the way the world is going; Tell me it is a U.S. thing so I am safe up here in the West Coast of Canada.
Mirar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2015, 00:21   #5

Boat: 1986 Tosca 36'
Send a message via Skype™ to american

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirar View Post
There we go , some idiot flying over my boat in a quiet anchorage with his drone. I guess this is the way the world is going; Tell me it is a U.S. thing so I am safe up here in the West Coast of Canada.
Just buy a drone of your own, outfit it with mini Gatling gun. Drone wars! Problem solved.

I'm also interested in the Mariner and curious to hear any updates on quality of construction, ease of use, etc.

For now I've satisfied my desire for aerial footage by attaching the GoPro to a large kite and flying that from the deck. Will post back with footage once I've uploaded some. Not a lot of control over the footage you capture... but also doesn't anger the neighbors with noise!
Old 30-01-2015, 06:08   #6

Boat: Sabre 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailingcouple13 View Post
Recently crashed my dji phantom in the water did not survive. Careful flying with wifi and gopro range only about 200ft line of sight and is slow and can freeze. My video feed froze and hit the water not realizing how low I was. Ordered today the dji inspire 1, it has built in lightbridge system hd video communication up to one mile. Order with two remote controls and the admiral can operate the camera while I pilot. It now will be something we do together.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Hey, thought I'd give you (and others) a bit of color as to why you crashed. Been reading about the DJI and came across this same story a few time.

Turns out the GoPro uses the same wifi band as the DJI-controller link. The two singles interfere with one another and BAM! you crash. DJI now specifically says not to do this.

You can run the DJI like the way you tried (a basic DJI, with a GoPro AND the ability to fly using the GoPro video feed) but it involves adding a few pieces to convert the GoPro to another wifi band before beaming down to your modified controller. Google "DJI FPV". Not too difficult; just takes some reading as it is still currently a "hack" not supported by DJI.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

s/v Carpe Ventum
1983 Sabre 38
My Intro
fallingeggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2015, 06:38   #7

Boat: cheoy lee 35 (perry)

Sling-shot....silent but deadly
Old 30-01-2015, 07:02   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Having flown a lot of RC, I can't imagine those outrunner motors will do well in salt water

I wouldn't fly anything that isn't a 2.4 Ghz, either Futaba, or my favorite is JR.

I think you guy's have more money than sense, at least the drones battery life isn't long enough for it to become truly annoying.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2015, 07:18   #9

I think an underwater drone would be pretty fun and cool to have on a cruising boat.
Old 30-01-2015, 07:30   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
I think an underwater drone would be pretty fun and cool to have on a cruising boat.
That may be difficult, I think radio doesn't propagate well in water, maybe have to go acoustic for controls? But would be cool.

Navy launches and recovers drones all the time out of the base in Panama City, they look like torpedoes and I think may be autonomous.
Old 30-01-2015, 08:21   #11

Boat: 1973 Easterly 36

Even if it was tethered and underwater video "drone" would be pretty cool for sneaking up on fish and coral reef inhabitants.
Old 30-01-2015, 09:47   #12

A64 is correct
I too have flown RC aircraft for many years
(First transmitter had tubes)
If you think salt water does a number on your boat
It is nothing compared to what it does to miniature dc motors
that are powered when they hit the water.
Same goes for your Radio Control equipment
One dunk and your done
At my home RC field our overfly area is a salt water creek
and nobody trusts anything after a dunk, ever
It may appear to work but can give up the ghost at any time
It's just too dangerous to fly dunked gear
I'm not into drones but you should be concerned about what type of
Batteries they use. Lithium Poly can self ignite if shorted or overcharged or if
their protective covering is compromised
Once ignited they will burn right thru your boat
Very hard to extinguish. I fellow at our field was
Car Charging on the way to the field and burnt up his new mini van
Lipo's are a different animal then Lithium Ion
They are usually charged in a battery bunker or ceramic vessel
Ditto on 2.4 and JR,
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2015, 11:10   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
That may be difficult, I think radio doesn't propagate well in water, maybe have to go acoustic for controls? But would be cool.

Navy launches and recovers drones all the time out of the base in Panama City, they look like torpedoes and I think may be autonomous.
Even with a tether would be cool.

When I lived in Maryland, they were tearing down the old radio ELF antennae farm that used to communicate with nuclear submarines underwater. I was told it operated with a wave that was so large that they just had letters as codes for numerous pre-recorded messages.

When they tore them all down, I figured they had come up with something better.
Old 30-01-2015, 11:16   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Go View Post
Lipo's are a different animal then Lithium Ion
They are usually charged in a battery bunker or ceramic vessel
I steal a pyrex dish with a lid on it from the wife to charge my batteries, although only electrics I fly are helicopters.
I haven't had a battery fire, yet, but others that have, the Pyrex dish contains the fire well. Trying to remember the brand name, white dish, clear glass lid.

I've given up on RC, will give the stuff to the kid when we go, you can put a stupid amount of money into that stuff, just like all hobbies
Old 30-01-2015, 11:40   #15
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

I sold all of my R/C gear along with the home. Not room aboard the boat...
I always wanted to install a camera for video, but never did. I was a JR guy too.

Ralph
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0001.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	392.8 KB
ID:	96276  
Attached Images

RTB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water