Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electric Propulsion (EP)
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2020, 17:24   #1

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail
Re: Highfield 310 CL with ePropulsion Navy 6?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aybabtme View Post
With the inverter. The mothership has enough installed power generation and power capacity to replenish, and there's space for more.
Boy, you lost me there. Recharging at the dock is probably reasonable since you have the week to do it.

But putting 6000w into a 48v battery using an inverter means they have to come out of something. The solar array? I wonder how big of a helo landing deck you have up there? You would have to have a big house battery bank. AND, do you supply 110v to the charger to get 48v into the batteries? Some losses there I suspect.

Upgrading the alternator is another bigger project than maybe you are thinking. To get 500 amp/hours out of the alternator you're going to have to run it, and run it hard, for quite a while.

But I get it. You really want to do this and are prepared to sink a pile of money into it and dedicate the yacht's entire electrical system towards recharging at anchor or underway if you ever need to. Further, you are limiting yourself to never needing more than 1 hour's operation, which will often be at full throttle because you're going to be underpowered. OK, go ahead.

But the vast majority of cruisers with a 3.1 RIB have a 9.9 or a 15hp gasoline outboard, and they get a lot of utility out of the bigger engine and longer range. If you can get a good used 2-stroke, better yet, and you will be amazed at how light and convenient it is.

Tags
navy, propulsion