Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2011, 02:39   #31

Boat: 33ft sloop
Re: West Scotland & Outer Hebrides

Thanks gentlemen for this helpful info. Can plan budgetwise will in advance.
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2011, 02:43   #32
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Perhaps you might have a look at the complete info (including charts) offered at:

Scottish Canals: Destinations for leisure, sport & investment

bcn
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2011, 04:33   #33

Boat: a sailing boat

Very nice area. However, in the year when we sailed there, their weather consisted of two pretty polar modes: a) gale, rain, cold - stay in port, and b) sunny & calm - go cruising UNDER POWER. Make sure you fuel tanks are adequate.

The upside of our voyage was discovering that the people in Scotland are FANTASTIC.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2011, 05:38   #34

I fear the weather mostly. I live partly in Holland and wintertime mostly at our residence in France. So I know what wet and cold is in the land of mist, mest and rain (after one of the Dutch poets). It will however an experience and I am looking forward to meet the Scottish sailing/fishing fraternity. Are there any fishing permits required fishing the coastal waters?
Old 24-12-2011, 11:12   #35

Boat: Dudley Dix Hout Bay 33

For fishing in the sea no permits are required. This includes sea trout in the sea but within rivers or lakes you would require a permit from the holder of the fishing rights. Trout permits in small lochs are usually cheap and in some cases maybe free but you do need to ask. Any waters with migratory fish are likely to be expensive to fish and usually need to be booked in advance. There is a Fishing in Scotland website run by the Scottish Tourist Board which will tell you everything you need to know.
SteveT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2011, 11:57   #36

Very good. So I can produce my own Fish'n chips. For that purpose I have a second stove in the cockpit.
Old 25-12-2011, 11:15   #37

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman

If you are visiting Gods country, you could keep that second stove free for Haggis.
You'll find it easily in the butchers shops, but its much more satisfying if you bag a few yourself. So it might be worth investing in an air rifle (which will require a license) or even a heavyweight sling shot (which won't) and get out Haggis hunting when in Scotland.
It takes wee while to track them down but locals are usually happy to send you off in the right direction. They are pretty slow little things and if you catch one unawares, it don't take much to bring them down. And of course, a more traditional dish that the fish n chips .....

Cheers
John
Old 25-12-2011, 11:37   #38

I could take my .300 H&H mag aboard, and going to look for the horned 4 legged meatproviders of which there are plenty in Scotland.
The only risk I' ll run is having all the McLeod's, MacDonalds and the lot after me.
Old 01-01-2012, 03:05   #39

Can I just point out that Haggis (singular) or Haggii (plural) are somewhat hard to find and there numbers are decreasing. The main reason for this is "lot" nature has dealt them. They are found on mountain sides - the males have "port" legs shorter than the "starboard" this is so that when running around the mountains their bodies are level. The same for the females except it is their starboard legs that are shorter.
This situation of not facing the correct way for the male to mate with has caused the problem with the population.
Occasionally you will get a female/ or male Haggis that has learnt to turn round, and this has ensured that the Haggis has survived. BUT when faced with one of these types of Haggii please be careful.
Dave
Holby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 03:51   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holby View Post
Can I just point out that Haggis (singular) or Haggii (plural) are somewhat hard to find and there numbers are decreasing. The main reason for this is "lot" nature has dealt them. They are found on mountain sides - the males have "port" legs shorter than the "starboard" this is so that when running around the mountains their bodies are level. The same for the females except it is their starboard legs that are shorter.
This situation of not facing the correct way for the male to mate with has caused the problem with the population.
Occasionally you will get a female/ or male Haggis that has learnt to turn round, and this has ensured that the Haggis has survived. BUT when faced with one of these types of Haggii please be careful.
Dave
they can be extremly dangerous when cornered,apparently they have developed a taste for half eaten batter coated mars bars and are now moving into urban area's.....
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 04:00   #41

I am afraid that the shortage of the Haggii is the result of the silent submarine activity of the Russians in the Minx - they have there their annual Haggis-hunt right before X-mas - without the British or Scots knowing it.

I became aware of this because I received, for another project, a bucketload of Russian Admiralty charts, and those of the Outer Hebrides were earmarked and stained with pencilpoints where the best hunt was to be expected.

The point is that most of the Britons have developed a sincere dislike for the Haggii and this is the very reason of all those Scottish-Anglo Saxon wars over the years.
Old 01-01-2012, 04:17   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacG View Post
I am afraid that the shortage of the Haggii is the result of the silent submarine activity of the Russians in the Minx - they have there their annual Haggis-hunt right before X-mas - without the British or Scots knowing it.

I became aware of this because I received, for another project, a bucketload of Russian Admiralty charts, and those of the Outer Hebrides were earmarked and stained with pencilpoints where the best hunt was to be expected.

The point is that most of the Britons have developed a sincere dislike for the Haggii and this is the very reason of all those Scottish-Anglo Saxon wars over the years.
which brings me to the next warning and important advice!

i highly reccomend getting a tartan kilt,so you woun't be mistaken for an anglo-saxon and wearing it when going ashore,espeasially on saturday nights when the natives can get very restless
Old 01-01-2012, 04:45   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT View Post
For fishing in the sea no permits are required. This includes sea trout in the sea but within rivers or lakes you would require a permit from the holder of the fishing rights. Trout permits in small lochs are usually cheap and in some cases maybe free but you do need to ask. Any waters with migratory fish are likely to be expensive to fish and usually need to be booked in advance. There is a Fishing in Scotland website run by the Scottish Tourist Board which will tell you everything you need to know.
I have no idea about the area you are talking about, but i do like Portishead...

Beth rocks..............
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 06:12   #44

Yes, I can appreciate this ........

And Atoll - as sort of a inheritance my father left me this notorious familyname that might attract the Scottish and Irish Haggii .....
The Britons might not. It is said that they hanged my great granduncle because he did something bad with the train between Dublin and Belfast.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:34   #45
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Tags
Scotland