Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2011, 06:34   #1

Boat: 33ft sloop
West Scotland & Outer Hebrides

I am planning to leave Holland around May to travel to West Scotland via the Caledonian channel.
My boat is a 33 ft steel Pieter Beeldsnijder, flushdecked and draws 1.30-1.40 mtr or somewhere around 4,5 ft.

I have bought practically all (paper) charts, 76 in total, just looking for a correct, recent pilot as I have never sailed that area before.

A friend of mine was captain on a small trader and often cruised the Minx; beautiful but quite often the living hell on earth.

I am aware of that, I just want to do some coastal cruising as there must be a lot to see.

My first port of call will be Southwold, after that I will proceed northerly by way of hopping in legs of max 100 nm due to my hearing handicap.
For sleeping I need to disconnect my Bionic ear - w/o I am lost to the world.

I know that a few forummers traveled this particular area and any suggestion or advice is highly appreciated.
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 08:13   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: West Scotland & Outer Hebrides

http://www.force4.co.uk/2100/Imray-S...mpaign=pid2100
expensive but lots of good info,also you will need this for tides on the west coast as you will need to work the tidal streams and enterances of smaller harbours and anchorages

Reeds Aberdeen Asset Management Digital Almanac has now been released in Beta

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Reeds-Nautic.../dp/1408140543
is about the best lots of info,harbour charts etc
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 09:03   #3

I have bought all main admiralty charts from Holland onwards to all around the UK - just in case.
I will buy those pilots - they shall be of valuable assistance since the terrotory is unfamiliar with fast tides and eddy' s, although I crossed extremely dangerous waters like the "Zuider Stortemelk" and the "Thomas Smitgat" when the latter was still navigable.
Half the foreign fleet lies buried in those grounds.

Entering another sort of sea needs good preparation.
Old 18-12-2011, 09:19   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

fortunately the wind is mainly out of the west on the west coast during the summer,also due to the nature of the coast you have many very well protected natural harbours,the challenge is getting in and out and between them in the right conditions.

a weather eye is nessacary at all times,though in this day and age with the shipping forcast on bbc radio 4 and weatherfax.and good 3g gsm coverage should not pose a problem untill later in the season....sept onwards
Old 18-12-2011, 09:29   #5

Hey Atoll,

Thanks for your valuable info.

Leaving May means that I have till mid-August to wander around, after that I have to make up my mind: returning to Holland or follow the British coast and cross the Channel to enter the Raz the Seine and make my way to the Med. I would like to winter down south, maybe Aigues Mortes just before the Mistral's are hitting.

I am a Windward Sailor - the time is mine and I need to see places before it is too late!
Old 18-12-2011, 09:42   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

The Caledonian Canal is a superb trip on its own and will probably take you 5 days. The bouyage changes half way along, heading West you come out of a lock to be presented with a small Scottish Loch and a single Red pole in the middle. You now have to work out which side to pass We took a gamble and passed very close to the pole just in case. The flight of locks at Corpach seem to go on for ever but eventually you are into the sea again and quite sheltered waters.

Should be a fab trip and don't miss Northern Ireland on your way south if you go that way. The Antrim and Co Down coasts could take a summer to explore.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 09:55   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

ditto on the east coast of ireland,we stopped in arklow and really enjoyed it,also with your draft it will be possable to get into the "canal de midi" nr gironde and reach aigue morts that way saving the expensive traverse of algarve and s spain.
Old 18-12-2011, 10:05   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

I always thought this was the best reason to visit Scotland. Seems like a jperfect oportunity.

Noonsite: CLASSIC MALTS CRUISE NEWS

CLASSIC MALTS CRUISE NEWS

A GATHERING OF THE CLANS FOR THE ANNUAL CLASSIC MALTS CRUISE
Entries are now open for this voyage of discovery that attracts cruising enthusiasts the world over - 11th-24th July 2009
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The UK's largest non-competitive sailing event, the annual Classic Malts Cruise, offers its participants a unique two-week voyage following the spectacular coastline of north-west Scotland and combines superb sailing with visits to some of the most famous single malt whisky distilleries in Scotland. This year's cruise dates are 11th July - 24th July.

Established by Diageo's Classic Malts Selection(TM), the Cruise was first held in 1994 to celebrate the 200th anniversary of the distillery at Oban. This year, as part of Scotland's celebrations to mark the 250th Anniversary of the birth of Robbie Burns and as part of a tourism initiative to encourage a gathering in Scotland of anyone who is a Scot, is of Scottish descent, or who simply loves Scotland, the Classic Malts Cruise is playing its part as an official event of Homecoming Scotland 2009. (See www.homecomingscotland2009.com for more details.)

International crews sailing in up to 100 participating yachts enjoy the Classic Malts Cruise because it offers a tried and tested formula that delivers outstanding sailing whilst exploring the bays, islands and mountains to be found on the west coast of Scotland. They also come to visit the famous malt whisky distilleries that punctuate the sailing route, starting from the busy coastal town of Oban on 11th July, then northwards to one of the world's most isolated malt whisky distilleries, Talisker on the Isle of Skye, before concluding at Lagavulin on Islay at the southern end of the Hebridean island chain on 24th July.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 10:17   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
I always thought this was the best reason to visit Scotland. Seems like a jperfect oportunity.

Noonsite: CLASSIC MALTS CRUISE NEWS

CLASSIC MALTS CRUISE NEWS

A GATHERING OF THE CLANS FOR THE ANNUAL CLASSIC MALTS CRUISE
Entries are now open for this voyage of discovery that attracts cruising enthusiasts the world over - 11th-24th July 2009
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The UK's largest non-competitive sailing event, the annual Classic Malts Cruise, offers its participants a unique two-week voyage following the spectacular coastline of north-west Scotland and combines superb sailing with visits to some of the most famous single malt whisky distilleries in Scotland. This year's cruise dates are 11th July - 24th July.

Established by Diageo's Classic Malts Selection(TM), the Cruise was first held in 1994 to celebrate the 200th anniversary of the distillery at Oban. This year, as part of Scotland's celebrations to mark the 250th Anniversary of the birth of Robbie Burns and as part of a tourism initiative to encourage a gathering in Scotland of anyone who is a Scot, is of Scottish descent, or who simply loves Scotland, the Classic Malts Cruise is playing its part as an official event of Homecoming Scotland 2009. (See www.homecomingscotland2009.com for more details.)

International crews sailing in up to 100 participating yachts enjoy the Classic Malts Cruise because it offers a tried and tested formula that delivers outstanding sailing whilst exploring the bays, islands and mountains to be found on the west coast of Scotland. They also come to visit the famous malt whisky distilleries that punctuate the sailing route, starting from the busy coastal town of Oban on 11th July, then northwards to one of the world's most isolated malt whisky distilleries, Talisker on the Isle of Skye, before concluding at Lagavulin on Islay at the southern end of the Hebridean island chain on 24th July.
now thats my type of crusining.......hic....
Old 18-12-2011, 11:29   #10

LOL @ Pete: In Holland, don't pass the red buoy on the starboard side!

@ Nicholson : If the petty cash on board allows it, I will join the Malts tour. Would be nice but is a matter of cash available. I am still upgrading my boat and that cost already plenty.

@ Atoll - I know that area as my pocket. Yes, with my draft I can hobble any canal in France. One of the very reasons buying this particular boat. Not only for draft reasons but also to spare on cash assets. Moorings for the deeper keels are quite expensive, the little boats do not have the glamour and glitter of the bigger craft.
Old 18-12-2011, 11:39   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

lots of great free mooring in the canal de sete a rhone and the camarge is spectacular.

good duck and rabbit hunting along the canals,just have to look for the reserves they created for yachts people who don't need roads....." chasse reservee'"..............

also "vin de pays" at the many caves' you will find at an ecluse!
Old 18-12-2011, 11:43   #12

I have friends in the Camargue, been there regularly since 1967. One of my friends owns a small shipyard in Gros du Roi.
The salty vin du pays de Languedoc (Listel) (borders the Camargue) is very tasteful. 1 Euro/liter.
Old 18-12-2011, 11:58   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

ju'suis jelouse,i don't think my little boat will be ready for a hunting expedition in the french canals next year!!!!

will have to rely on cooking coq au vin,lapin au vin and canard au calvados at home this year!!!!

mind you like other members that have stopped in falmouth on their way south send a pm and we can show you around cornwall!!!!
Old 18-12-2011, 12:07   #14

Boat: Dudley Dix Hout Bay 33

The best pilot books by far are the ones published by the Clyde Cruising Club. They are available from Amazon or direct from the club (Google the address). They split the coast into a number of sections and each volume has up to date details, chart lets, photos and general as well as specific info. I use them all the time and I have to say I find them very good. (I am not a member or affiliate of CCC!) I'll be heading north in the late spring via Northern Ireland myself. If you are coming south it is worth considering going through the Crinan Canal which is interesting in its own right and then you are into the Firth of Clyde which is a fantastic cruising area in its own right and very sheltered usually. Provided you don't get savaged by the midges you'll have a great time.
SteveT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 12:13   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

arrrgh forgot about the midges!!!!!!!

Tags
Scotland