Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2014, 19:03   #256
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Re: Should A Non Eu Boat Sail Across The Atlantic To Sail The Med

The whole 90 day deal is a pain in the butt but back to the original question, I think YES is the answer unless you are a liveaboard and want to stay in one small geographic region period. We are in our third year and will likely have 3 more before we leave. But we also only spent 9 weeks in the Med this year so it's easy for us.

If you compare it to cruising the world in general it must be worth it.
Old 25-08-2014, 07:00   #257
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Despite what was claimed here , and so as to not mislead people. There is no such thing as a Schengen business visa.

There are various long stay visas available from national governments, the requirements of which vary considerably. These are type D visa is that while they afford leeway on the names country they do not extend the 90 days issue in other Schengen areas.

Whether you comply and can be issued a long stay national visa is solely at the discretion of the national issuing authority. There can be residency requirements, tax and vat issues. They are not lightly entered into.

Furthemore despite what was said , a person travelling from a " visa wavier " country is subject to all the rules and regulations of the standard type C tourist visa. The visa is actually the entry stamp. The " wavier " means you simply don't have to apply for it in advance.

The EU and the Schengen is considering done form of community long stay visa, but often these things require complementary movement from other major trading parties. So write your congressman !

Dave
Old 25-08-2014, 07:50   #258
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1408978183.058208.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	214.9 KB
ID:	87080 not quite the Med, but guess where ..
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2014, 08:46   #259

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

The answer to the original question lost long ago is No. Look people have been arriving in Europe for 10,000 years and it's now full. Don't believe me well this video was taken in a quaint little French harbour.

Granville - Port de Herel Entrance - YouTube

Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2014, 09:08   #260
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
Attachment 87080 not quite the Med, but guess where ..
OK, I give up. Where?
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2014, 17:41   #261
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

[QUOTE=Pete7;1613465]The answer to the original question lost long ago is No. Look people have been arriving in Europe for 10,000 years and it's now full. Don't believe me well this video was taken in a quaint little French harbour.

dont I know, There I was having a nice picnic on me own....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2014-08-26 01.39.05.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	355.1 KB
ID:	87111  
Old 02-10-2014, 03:31   #262

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

As a bit of an update, we did manage to clear out of the EU after 65 days in and a great but very fast run from Sardina to Corsia to Rome to Messina to Ortanto to Albania.

That is a lot of territory in 65 days and we had to keep moving. We did sail up the Albanian coast, to Montenegro and Croatia and eventually checked back into the EU in Venice and now are headed back to Tunisia. Our clock was not reset but someone is going to have to do a lot of checking and calculating to see how many days we were in and out as of when.

WIth Croatia in the Schengren, we understand that will occur next year, that trip would not be possible.

For next year our plan, God willing, is to leave Tunisia for a quick sail to Albania for a while and then spend the majority of our time in Greece before going over to Turkey for the winter. Trying to make the most out of 90 days takes some forethought and planning on getting the best from where you want to go and see. We will not get to see all the Greek islands we would like but by using Albania as a stop off point for a while, and some inland travel, we should be able to get a lot of the Greek islands in.

But is it worth it? We would have been a lot better off flying over and renting a camper van and seeing a lot more.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:30   #263

Boat: Baltic 38DP

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
We would have been a lot better off flying over and renting a camper van and seeing a lot more.
Sailing is never going to compete with a camper van if you want to see things, that should be pretty obvious. Personally I don't understand why you wanted to fit the whole of the Med's waters into 65 days....

As for the 90 day rule - does the boat need to be outside of the EU as well? If not you could leave it and return to it.

Onno
JazzyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:43   #264

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

[QUOTE=JazzyO;1643465]Sailing is never going to compete with a camper van if you want to see things, that should be pretty obvious. Personally I don't understand why you wanted to fit the whole of the Med's waters into 65 days....

As for the 90 day rule - does the boat need to be outside of the EU as well? If not you could leave it and return to it.

Onno[/QUOTE

Jazzy - my boat is my home. We do not have a dirt based dwelling so we need to stay on the boat. And no we did not plan to see all the med in 90 days but gosh you can spend a lot of time seeing it and i am getting to old to spend just 90 days out of the year seeing great things. You really can not sail the med in the winter, I mean you can if you want to get cold and wait out big storms ect and have a miserable time and I am just to old to put up with that.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:48   #265

Boat: Baltic 38DP

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
i am getting to old to spend just 90 days out of the year seeing great things. You really can not sail the med in the winter, I mean you can if you want to get cold and wait out big storms ect and have a miserable time and I am just to old to put up with that.
That I understand. I was in fact suggesting perhaps taking it a bit easier. But you don't owe me any justification, of course.

I agree that the 90 day rule is very restricting for cruisers and I for one would like to see it changed.

Fair winds!

Onno
JazzyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:04   #266

Boat: Various

Hopefully the proposed touring visa will be passed in 2015. A reminder of what the change proposed by the European Commission is:

Establishing a Touring Visa, to allow legitimate non-EU residents to travel for up to a year in the Schengen area, provided they do not stay in one member state for longer than 90 days in any 180 day period. This visa would also offer the possibility of an extension for up to two years.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:20   #267
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Should A Non Eu Boat Sail Across The Atlantic To Sail The Med

This is where I kinda differ from the majority here..
"You were in Florida..? WOW... did you see Disneyworld..?"
No... I hung out at a coupla bars on E River and met folk...
"Awww man.. Sicily!! did you see Vesuvius..?"
Not close up.. it was smoking a bit as we went past 5m offshore.. but when we went into the harbour.. I hung out in bars, cafes and restaurants... met folk and chewed the BS..
Oz.. S Pacific.. Panama... USA (tho' I did drive a Jeep Wrangler from Oriental NC to Vermont.. then back towing a 19ft wooden boat that is apparently very well thought off..).. in fact pretty much everywhere I go.. same old same old...
Its the voyage that matters.. dirt's part time...

Or.. to simplify.. you guys think to much.. and as tourists...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2014, 07:05   #268

Boat: Kadey Krogen '42

I'm hoping it does get changed, and if it doesn't, I'm coping.

As many others have said previously, it really only becomes an issue at airports.

And this summer, when I'll be in schengen countries, I won't fly.

Besides, where there is a will, there is a way.
If you don't believe that, how did you manage to cross an ocean.??

Richard on Dauntless in now in Ireland
Kadey Krogen 42'
Dauntlessny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2014, 08:22   #269

Boat: Sceptre 41

[QUOTE=chuckr;1558500]
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
My research on the issue confirms this exactly. If I recall, in theory long stay visas are offered by France, Italy, Spain, Portugal and Germany. Possibly others as well but these are the countries I went to the national web sites and read all the requirements. None of them looked easy and I believe all required a permanent address in the country. Plus several the paperwork required was quite daunting, seemly set up to specifically discourage anyone from applying. QUOTE]

we had actually heard that portugal has made it very easy to get a long term stay visa if you do not want anything, like free this or that or everything - and can pay your own way -

we did go to the national police in madrid spain and were told they could not give us an extension but if we would take a train to lisbon and go to the spanish embassy they could -- then they told us just stay no one will care

but we want to fly back to the usa to see kids and grandkids for a couple of weeks and we were told by folks that the c&i at the airports count days regardless of the days and we just did not want to take the chance

we are now 37 days into our 90 and need to save 21 to get from albania back to italy and sciliy before heading to tunisia for the winter - so our visiting in the eu is about over - a day or so here or there but that is all
have you thought of taking aninternal flight(EU) to england or a train. Then fly in and out of England where you would clear customs. From there you are again on an internal flight back to where your boat is. By doing this your passport does not get stamped. Most customs officials don't want to figre out the problems associated with the 90 day stay rule unless they work at the airport.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2014, 08:31   #270

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
This is where I kinda differ from the majority here..
"You were in Florida..? WOW... did you see Disneyworld..?"
No... I hung out at a coupla bars on E River and met folk...
"Awww man.. Sicily!! did you see Vesuvius..?"
Not close up.. it was smoking a bit as we went past 5m offshore.. but when we went into the harbour.. I hung out in bars, cafes and restaurants... met folk and chewed the BS..
Oz.. S Pacific.. Panama... USA (tho' I did drive a Jeep Wrangler from Oriental NC to Vermont.. then back towing a 19ft wooden boat that is apparently very well thought off..).. in fact pretty much everywhere I go.. same old same old...
Its the voyage that matters.. dirt's part time...

Or.. to simplify.. you guys think to much.. and as tourists...
And you make a living doing deliveries while many of us are tourists. We love the voyage but we also love exploring each port. And we don't hang out at the nearby bars. We get to town, get to the sites, meet more people other than just those in bars. We like to find what makes the area different.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail