Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2023, 09:36   #31

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Joys of Cruising Baltic Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Longshadow View Post
With only 3 months between June and September, and starting in Rauma, any thoughts about heading to Helsinki and then onto Estonia?

There are endless places to stop on that route. Along the South coast of Finland -- Hanko for sure, anchor out somewhere between Hanko and Helsinki, then stay in the Motor Boat Club in Helsinki (best access to the center), then Tallinn. Stay in the Old City Marina in Tallinn (the old port and just next to Old Town). A very cool place sort of on the way between Helsinki and Tallinn is Prangli -- a kind of Back to the USSR time machine place -- really cool. Call the harbormaster ahead -- there is little space in the little fishing harbor for yachts (and speak Estonian or Russian with him -- no English).

Then from Tallinn sail West (there's a decent anchorage or two on the way if there's no North in the wind), stop in Dirhami if you need a stop (good place for fuel), then do the Estonian islands, worth a few weeks in their own right, but the distances aren't great so a week is enough if you don't have more time. If you have time sail down to Riga (stay at Andrejostas Yacht Club). Or stop in Ruhnu, the Southernmost of the Estonian islands before setting off West.

From there it's an easy overnight sail to the East Coast of Gotland. Depending on how much time you have, you can sail into one of the East Coast ports (like Herrvik, my favorite) and take a bus into Vysby before continuing on to Bornholm. OR, if you have more time, sail into Farosund. Take the ferry and taxi or long walk to the Bergman museum and gravesite on Faro. Then sail through the Farosund around to the West coast of Gotland and go to Vysby. From there sail down into the Kalmarsund of Sweden (there's a fantastic anchorage on the very tip of Öland if you need a stop), then choose between any number of cool places and innumerable anchorages, but don't miss Kalmar itself with the fantastic castle and lots of things to do and see.

From the Kalmarsund, you sail across the "Swedish Bay of Biscay" and either keep sailing or stop in Simrishamn, or go to Kaeseberge and hike up to the "Swedish Stonehenge", a fantastic Neolithic stone circle on a high bluff overlooking the sea. Then Ystad is worth a stop, then wherever you want to go in Baltic Germany is a day sail away.

If you went via Bornholm (lots of ports and lots of things to see), it's an easy overnight or long daysail from there to Sassnitz on Rügen.

There are literally thousands of places to go along that route so those are just a few hints. Enjoy Baltic cruising!
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2023, 09:06   #32

Captain, you are amazing!!! Thank you for the helpful info.

One other question, may I ask who you use to insure your yacht in Denmark?

~Lisa
Lisa Longshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2023, 10:45   #33

Here is the name of a reputable Danish Underwriter: Codan Forsikring A/S.

I have no idea what the policies of Danish underwriters may be these days - having been away for 65 years - but I would imagine that you would have to go through an agent, just as we do here,

Here is the gen on an agent with offices both in Denmark and Sweden:

https://www.crawco.com/en-dk

If I were in your shoes, I would contact them to clarify not only coverage available but also underwriting polices in regard foreign flagged vessels and to "foreign" individuals as policy holders. Letter or e-mail will do. The personnel will be quite competent in English.

Best to get that sort of legal information straight from the horse's mouth ;-)

Is there any reason that your existing carrier (US based, I assume) cannot endorse your existing policy to cover operation in (specified) European waters?

The picture, BTW, is "Nyhavn" (New Haven), a street and canal right in central Copenhagen, Nyhavn was established in the late 17the century as a more efficient commercial harbour than the one that had existed theretofore. Dutch commercial practice is obviously reflected in the architecture of the merchant's establishments and warehouses.

When I was young, Nyhavn was Copenhagen's unofficial, but tolerated, red light district, sort of like the Reeperbahn in Hamburg.

TP
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2023, 12:22   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Longshadow View Post
Captain, you are amazing!!! Thank you for the helpful info.

One other question, may I ask who you use to insure your yacht in Denmark?

~Lisa

My yacht is UK flagged. I use Pantaenius.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2023, 07:05   #35

Merry Christmas to cruisers with yachts in the Baltic Sea...
Lisa Longshadow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baltic, cruising, Germany