Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2023, 15:49   #1
JPK

Chartering in Greece: Ionian, Corfu or Saronic?

Hey all. We're starting to plan next summer's vacation charter in Greece, and I'd love some input from those that have chartered or cruised in the southern Ionian (Lefkada, Ithaki, Kefalonia, Zakynthos) vs. Corfu vs. the Saronic Gulf.

We chartered in the southern Ionian for a week through Dream Yacht charter two years ago and had a wonderful time. It was a great mix of remote beaches, small towns and larger towns. We would happily return there and do it again, but are open to alternatives. Of the three, this is the most difficult base to get to, with a looooong drive from Athens. I've been searching but do not see domestic flights from Athens to Preveza. I think only international and private flights go to Preveza.

I haven't chartered in the Saronic before but my family is from the Peloponnese so I've been to Hydra, Spetses, Poros, Nafplion, and Epidavros before. They're fun places to visit but seem like they might be overly crowded and a bit hectic (at least the busier destinations of Hydra and Spetses). Also not as many nice sandy beaches there that I know of - mostly rocky shoreline. It's the easiest base for us to get to from Athens.

Corfu - never been to that part of Greece but it looks like it could fit the bill nicely. Relatively easy to get to, with a short flight from Athens.

We'll be a group of 15 in two mono's, with ages ranging from 4 to 75 so we're looking for a nice mix of quiet towns, nice scenery and beaches, somewhat easy entry/exit ports and short hops from stop to stop. Between these three destinations, which would you choose?

Thanks,
John
JPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2023, 02:13   #2

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 31
Re: Chartering in Greece: Ionian, Corfu or Saronic?

It’s hard to beat the southern Ionian IMV — there are literally thousands of options, sure you’ll find something for each crew member. As a matter of fact, we just came back from a week’s charter there; our crew ranged from 6 to 78 YO… Everyone happy.
Have you thought flying to Cefalonia? I believe they have flights from Athens. Maybe it’s an option for you.
Fair winds.
Old 06-12-2023, 07:07   #3

We would like to Charter a cat in Greece in September 2024. Our men are tall. We all are sailors but will hire a skipper and cook. There are 4 of us. What’s a good company and good starting point ?
E4aBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 08:34   #4

Boat: Athena 38

Hi JPK

Looks like you are coming from the States. We hosted the American side of my wifes family this year and the flights worked out. The best is if you can get a transatlantic flight to Gatwick UK. From there you can get a cheap flight to almost anywhere in Europe via Easyjet or other low cost outfits. Easyjet fly to Preveza Corfu, Kefalonia etc.

If you cant get to Gatwick, next best is Heathrow and take the shuttle bus to Gatwick. Its a long trip for you, our guest were coming from the east coast.

There is also a bus from Athens to Preveza, it takes about 5 hours but is pleasant enough. Costs around 35 euros each way
Boatfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 08:55   #5

JPK

You don't say how long you are staying. Corfu itself is not my favourite, though Corfu town is not be missed. There are some nice little bays north of Corfu town and a great gently sloping sandy beach south at Patitiri. Further south again you have the islands of Paxos and Antipaxos with gems like Gaios ( very crowded ). On the mainland Parga is stunning and Sivota Mourtos is a lovely place to anchor but I don't know what the town is like. The west of Corfu island is reputed to be nice but a bit exposed, I have'nt made it there yet as we are usually in rush to leave Greece and get out of the Schengen zone.
Old 04-01-2024, 08:44   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatfreak View Post
JPK

...., I have'nt made it there yet as we are usually in rush to leave Greece and get out of the Schengen zone.
Please explain why Schengen zone is not desirable.
cdocsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 08:57   #7

Hi JPK2

There is nothing undesireable about the Schengen zone, except that it now includes almost the entire northern coastline of the mediterranean and all the islands. Non EU citizens may only stay within it for 90 days in any 180. This is not a problem for charterers but for liveaboards who do their winter maintenance in a Schengen country it makes life awkward if there are delays in getting essential work done. We are usually up sgainst our 90 day limit by the time we launch.
Old 04-01-2024, 08:59   #8

Sorry Cdocsail not JPK, forgot to look before I started my reply.
Old 04-01-2024, 09:01   #9

no worries. I am now enlightened
cdocsail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charter, Greece, ionian