Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2014, 07:28   #1

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat
Cruising Southern Turkey in winter?

I've searched, but seem to miss where this has been discussed before. Every wintering in Turkey thread I have read talks about which marinas to use, but I haven't read anyone's opinion on cruising and anchoring instead of sitting in a marina all winter long. I'm sure there's a good reason for it, and I would like to find exactly why this is. Protected locations too few and far between? Storms too common?

Marina life is not something I enjoy at all! I would much rather sit at anchor or a mooring and only leave my boat in the care of a marina when I leave it for more than a day. We would like to put it on the hard for a month while we travel inland and then to visit friend in South Africa, but the rest of this upcoming winter would be nice to be moving a little (two or three weeks in each area).

I haven't bought the Imray guide for the area yet, but will before we make it close.

Thanks for any advice,

Matt
Old 10-08-2014, 08:10   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Cruising Southern Turkey in winter?

in southern turkey about the only place you could sit at anchor over the winter is kekova roads.

on the other side of kekova island is a tiny natural harbour totally surrounded by steep cliffs know as "hole in the wall" where you could probably sit out a hurricane!

apart from that not much else that is protected from all wind directions,and the force 10 storms that they get during winter.

finike marina has a good boat yard for storage.

kekova roads has a small village where basic supplies can be bought.

hole in the wall has nothing,and no people!
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 10:08   #3

Thanks Atoll. What about up by Marmaris? The charts seem to make that look protected, but of course they can always be misleading without a guide book.

Matt
Old 10-08-2014, 10:48   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Thanks Atoll. What about up by Marmaris? The charts seem to make that look protected, but of course they can always be misleading without a guide book.

Matt
marmaris bay though almost totally enclosed is very large and does not really offer secure all round protection for small vessels during the winter,it can get rough in the anchorage even in summer.

in fetihye bay you might be able to rent a mooring or use your own anchor.
protection is fairly good there.
though 60 knot katabatic winds coming down off the 3000m mountains nearby can make life interesting even in the best of anchorages!

you will also need some form of heating onboard as temps are around 4c-10c over winter.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 11:08   #5

Boat: Oyster 435 - Miyagi Moon
Send a message via Skype™ to miyagimoon

Hi Matt,

In your original post you ask about "Southern Turkey".

By that I would suspect you mean from Bodrum (roughly 37deg N) to Finike (roughly 36 deg, 18 min N) a distance of some 300Nm if you go in and out of all the gulfs in between. This covers the Carian Coast and the Lycian Coast.

The are many good and safe anchorages along these coasts.

In Gokova Korfezi (Bodrum area) there are anchorages on both north and south side of the gulf. Such places as English Harbour, an anchorage on the south with all round protection.

Next would be Hisaronu Korfezi which covers Datca through to Bozborn, again with anchorages north and south. South side has Keci Buku (Orhaniye) all round shelter and a Marina if needed (Marti Marine).

Marmaris Bay. Somewhere in the bay you will get shelter from the nasty wind direction. Plus a number of Marina's, a town quay and lts of shops, chandlers etc.

Gocek / Fethiye (Fethiye Korfezi). Too many anchorages to name. Fethiye has at least 2 Marina's and Gocek at least 3. Good all round shelter and lots of shops etc.

Kas, Kekova Roads & Finike. Again in this area there are 2 marinas (Kas & Finike) a town harbour (Ucagiz) with total all round shelter and loads of anchorages.

Day hops from one Gulf to another would be a max of 40Nm.

Many people have wintered in and around these areas with no problem. Just need to keep an eye out for bad weather and pick the right location. If need be you will be no more that some 20 mile from a marina.

The biggest problem you will have is only being able to spend 90 days in 180 days in Turkey. But if like me and many others you believe winter to be December, January & February and you intend to go to South Africa for a few week which will obviously extend your period you will be fine.

If you started from the East (Finike) then worked to the West you can then start going up the Eastern Greek Islands. Symi, Kos, Samos etc.

This area is very wet in the winter and can get cold. Suggest to get Rod Heikell's - Turkish Waters & Cyprus Pilot. Lots of good info even if somewhat out of date.

We have spent since 2010 in and around this area so talk from experience.
miyagimoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 12:07   #6

miyagimoon,
This is Jessica, Matt's wife. Thanks for all the great information, although I do have a question on the visas and having 90 days out of 180. Although we are hoping to go to SA for a few weeks, would that be enough to reset our available time there? We're thinking of being in Turkey from approx Dec - May. In our JimB sailing guide it mentions hiring an agent upon arrival and applying for a Residence Permit which would allow us to stay the entire winter/spring without issue. Have you come across others that have done this?
Old 10-08-2014, 12:32   #7

The resident permit in Turkey is easy peasy. Our marina folks gave us a hand. You can get 1 year and up.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 16:02   #8
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Between Marmaris and Antalya there is only one safe place; Orak (36.55 N, 28.10 E)in Gokova bay. The famous turkish navigator (he did 3 circumnavigations and written the best pilote book for turkish coasts, unfortunately never translated to other languages..) Sadun Bora has been leaving there for more than 40 years,when he's not sailing. Having sailed all of the Turkish coast for several years, there should be a reason for that; it is closed to all kind of weather.. There are three restaurants there but they are not fully operative in winter, they come and go mostly on weekends. It's about 40 min. drive to Marmaris and 140 nm by sea. Bodrum is closer, 40 nm.
The other suggested places offers some protection , Kekova probably a bit more, but are not recommended in southeasterlies which is the biggest threat in winter.

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 23:08   #9

Boat: Oyster 435 - Miyagi Moon
Send a message via Skype™ to miyagimoon

Have a look at Marmaris Bay Cruisers web site:
Residence Permits Archive » Marmaris Bay Cruisers

It takes some reading but you should find all you need in respect to Residency Permits.

In respect to going to SA. In essence no. The 90 days only restarts after 180 is up.

The Anchorage referred to by the very knowledgeable Yeloya appears to be what I have called (From Rod Heikell's Book) English Harbour.
miyagimoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 00:04   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Every wintering in Turkey thread I have read talks about which marinas to use, but I haven't read anyone's opinion on cruising and anchoring instead of sitting in a marina all winter long. I'm sure there's a good reason for it, and I would like to find exactly why this is. Protected locations too few and far between? Storms too common?
There is only a very small number of boats in the Eastern Med that anchor and don't go into a marina (or tie to a jetty) over the winter period.
Most cruisers consider it unsafe.

Even when I explain I have been doing it for 7 years I still get that "you're mad" look from other cruisers

However, my contention is that with good modern anchoring gear and experienced crew it can be safe. At least your fate is in your own hands.

I have not wintered in Turkey so I cannot help you with the specifics.

Don't be put off. It can be done.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 06:32   #11
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miyagimoon View Post

The Anchorage referred to by the very knowledgeable Yeloya appears to be what I have called (From Rod Heikell's Book) English Harbour.

First of all apoligizes for the mistake, the bay I was referring to is not Orak but Okluk. This large bay has three small bays inside; the one on the right at the entrance is English bay. It's not sheltered against souteasterlies.
Just in front there is another bay where there is a summer residence of the President. He doesn't come often but normally you are not allowed there. The one I am talking is the left side at the end of the bay.

Cheers

Yeloya
Old 22-08-2014, 07:10   #12

Thanks to those that posted information about Turkey in the winter. We are looking to base out of Gocek/Fethiye area, staying at a marina and getting hauled out - but potentially venturing out in that immediate area in late February & March with a group of students. I have been studying winter temps and precip. - and it does seem pretty cold with way more rain that I would have expected.

Does it routinely get colder than 8 or 10 C?

Watching weather, of course, is it plausible to be able to venture out a little during those months - or is it typically a wash-out Dec - March?
SGGeronimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2014, 08:24   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
There is only a very small number of boats in the Eastern Med that anchor and don't go into a marina (or tie to a jetty) over the winter period.
Most cruisers consider it unsafe.

Even when I explain I have been doing it for 7 years I still get that "you're mad" look from other cruisers

However, my contention is that with good modern anchoring gear and experienced crew it can be safe. At least your fate is in your own hands.

I have not wintered in Turkey so I cannot help you with the specifics.

Don't be put off. It can be done.
You have to be sure you have some good gear if you want to do this.

Can you withstand more than 50kts at anchor.

Southern Turkey sometimes has these storms and sometimes locally not forecast.

The worst I have had in Southern Turkey ran 10 hrs overnight, covered my deck in 6cm of hailstones and took a blade off my brand new wind transducer and broke my plastic spray dodger windows.
Luckily no other boats were anchored nearby. The windforce for around 4 hrs was so strong (just under 70kts) that standing was not possible and sometimes my boat lay on a 45 degree angle.
The 180degree windshift was so strong and sudden that I did not circle my anchor, instead I was blown directly over it to the new position.
Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2014, 14:21   #14
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGGeronimo View Post
Thanks to those that posted information about Turkey in the winter. We are looking to base out of Gocek/Fethiye area, staying at a marina and getting hauled out - but potentially venturing out in that immediate area in late February & March with a group of students. I have been studying winter temps and precip. - and it does seem pretty cold with way more rain that I would have expected.

Does it routinely get colder than 8 or 10 C?

Watching weather, of course, is it plausible to be able to venture out a little during those months - or is it typically a wash-out Dec - March?
Göçek bays are relatively protected and the temperature goes below 10 C very rarely. December should be OK. The worst could be in Feb-March. Showers are frequent and strong in these months.
Cheers
Yeloya

Tags
cruising, Turkey