Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > COVID-19 | Containment Area
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2020, 22:44   #106

Re: Yachties Stuck In New Zealand - Facing Expulsion

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
At the moment it would probably be easier to come from or go to NZ than to or from Melbourne so we're not picking on you we are just blasted with paranoia.
I'm stuck in Melbourne unable to fly out to New Zealand until November at the earliest now. Previous flights have been cancelled and no guarantee my next attempt won't be either. No use complaining, it is what it is. There's plenty of worse places to be.
Old 08-08-2020, 04:48   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeron View Post
NZ is a persnickety place. Cruisers have had to jump through all sorts of hoops and ridiculous rules well before this particular COVID issue. It's nothing new. It is a pattern.

We currently have a cat. NZ was up until now a place we could only go after she was no longer with us. Now I'm probably just going to go out and get another cat right away when ours passes someday because I have just crossed NZ right off of the list of places I ever want to go, along with the other places with similar rules against feline cruiser crew.

Their house, their rules.

Would you dare enter a neighbours home with your cat if they told you the pet was not welcome?

Your loss is their gain. Lucky NZ.

Also, you would likely have the same issues with your feline friend in all of French Polynesia. Traveling to foreign lands is a privilege, not a right - regardless of the method you choose to get there.
Old 08-08-2020, 06:23   #108
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub

It is funny how poorly some people take rejection here on CF. I am just not that into you kiwis. Get over it.
Old 08-08-2020, 07:10   #109

It's funny, but when I first read the OP's title Yachties Stuck In New Zealand I thought to myself, what better place to be "stuck" than NZ! I used to live in Christchurch and except for the expensive cost of living, I would say NZ is one of the most fantastic countries on this Earth.
Old 08-08-2020, 08:11   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
During Covid times we are all going to have to cruise local areas. In the whole South Pacific right now only Fiji is open to (limited and expensive) foreign yachts. Everything else is effectively closed.

Same for the Caribbean.

Northern Europe I believe is relatively open with a few exceptions.

Mediterranean? Mostly closed I believe.

Canada, US and Mexico - all closed.

South Africa and Indian Ocean countries I haven’t heard.

SE Asia closed.

Stay local.

Mexico isn’t closed.
Old 08-08-2020, 08:41   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
What if????
What about???????

One would think that all visiting sailors were as poor as church mice.... they aren't... I would suggest that none are....
Take a look around the foreign flagged boats in any of the NZ marinas to see what I mean.

Not only are the paying for their berth they are also having to feed themselves... and then there are haulouts, new sails, boat toys, hiring a van to tour the country, .... they bring a lot of foreign exchange into the country... they support an entire undustry ... this in a country that doesn't have much.... pretty much just kiwi fruit, hobbits and hot water.

No one is asking for an 'unlimited' visa.
So if they are that rich, get on one of the evacuation flights and go spend a few months your home country.

I agree, most are not poor but if that's true, it precludes them claiming poverty as a reason to stay in the country.

For those that truly are poor, they are very much a risk to NZ having to pay for them.
Old 08-08-2020, 09:12   #112

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Training Wheels View Post
Mexico isn’t closed.
well, according to Noonsite, Mexico is a mixed bag. The Federal Government says one thing, but the states or local counties/cities have different rules. Noonsite notes that if traveling, it is best to call the local harbor ahead of time and make sure that you can come in.

Looking that map - many require quarantine, some allow you to enter and leave your boat (within 48 hours) some allow you to enter, get fuel etc, but not leave the boat.

So all in all, while the official line is that Mexico is not closed - cruising there is apparently an iffy proposition.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
Old 08-08-2020, 09:21   #113

Boat: a sailing boat

Yes. Indeed. As long as these people have any money left, they should be allowed to stay.

Old cruisers have their pensions while the younger ones could get temporarily incorporated into the working circuit.

It would be very odd for NZ to drive out anybody who pays their way and who has been in the country for a while now.

Time will tell but I bet NZ will find a way to allow such tourists stay / sit out / and go next season maybe. It is in the end only 12 months, and a small group of people. No big deal. Imho.

b.
Old 08-08-2020, 13:38   #114

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
I like to learn from the mistakes of others, rather than have them someday happen to me. This issue that this thread is based on is simply horrible in my view.

NZ is a persnickety place. Cruisers have had to jump through all sorts of hoops and ridiculous rules well before this particular COVID issue. It's nothing new. It is a pattern.

We currently have a cat. NZ was up until now a place we could only go after she was no longer with us. Now I'm probably just going to go out and get another cat right away when ours passes someday because I have just crossed NZ right off of the list of places I ever want to go, along with the other places with similar rules against feline cruiser crew.

That's my opinion, and if stating it thusly hurts people's feelings from DU then they can just learn to deal with it or change their policies. If they don't care, or "won't miss me" I surely do not care either. As I said, there is a whole big wide world where the people don't have anything stuck up their bums like they seem to DU.
It is estimated that NZ has about 2.4 million feral cats eating up the native wild life. I'm fairly certain that if you could find a home for your extant cat before you got there they would be glad to have you visit and supply you with any number of feral cats to take with you when you leave. You could take the opportunity to stock up on a lifetimes supply of cats.
Old 08-08-2020, 13:41   #115

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

I see no problem with countries asking cruisers to either put up on the hard and fly out or head on home by sea. Under what obligation are these countries to their guests? The more of a fit we make, the less likely we will be invited back with open arms when things do get better.

Now, if there is simply no place for you to haul out (and I'm not talking about 'convenient to you' here) because all of the haul out facilities are full then it would be very helpful if the country made some additional room for temporary dry storage locations for those cruisers that agree to repatriate.
Old 08-08-2020, 15:08   #116

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
I see no problem with countries asking cruisers to either put up on the hard and fly out or head on home by sea. Under what obligation are these countries to their guests? The more of a fit we make, the less likely we will be invited back with open arms when things do get better.

Now, if there is simply no place for you to haul out (and I'm not talking about 'convenient to you' here) because all of the haul out facilities are full then it would be very helpful if the country made some additional room for temporary dry storage locations for those cruisers that agree to repatriate.
Sounds like a major operation to me....

So are these people a pest, a drain on the national purse, a health threat?
No they are not.

Are this people bringing money into NZ, are they of a certain age group at reasonably elevated risk of contracting covid in their home countries... typically US and Europe.

Yes they are.

Nobody is throwing a fit... a polite request has been made that their visas should be extended ....is all......
Old 08-08-2020, 15:34   #117

If a group of stranded yachties in the south pacific, (the more the better) banded together and just sailed down to NZ but insured atleast a two week passage before the election and just arrive the governement typically falls over itself to be "kind", and it knows a large number of NZ ers are boaties and behind you and you have self quarrantined. No problem. The priministers Partner..is a fisho and friend?? of the south pacific so done and dusted.
Old 08-08-2020, 16:47   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaClyDog View Post
As per the US government, NZ isn't a safe place for american citizens because of Covid-19;

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/travel/ne...ectid=12354666
New Zealand currently has only 23 cases, all of which are in managed isolation. On June 8, Jacinda Ardern, the prime minister, declared the pandemic over as community transmission has been eliminated.

The warning on the US government travel advice website does not mention this fact or that each active case involves a returned traveller who went directly into quarantine on arrival. Until Thursday, the warning also did not mention that anyone who is not a citizen or permanent resident of New Zealand cannot enter the country.

The US Department of State has four travel advisory levels for travel abroad: Level 1: Exercise Normal Precautions; Level 2: Exercise Increased Caution; Level 3: Reconsider Travel; and Level 4: Do Not Travel. It classified New Zealand as Level 2.

Meanwhile the US Homeland Security Department rates the USA as a perfect Level 10. Just kidding.
Old 08-08-2020, 18:59   #119

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post

NZ was very successful in locking out the virus and the cruisers are also most likely virus free. Many of them will be in the high risk group. It would be an act of sheer ba......ry to drive them out onto the sea into a world which has not enjoyed a similar success in suppressing the virus and I'm of the opinion that the Kiwis will never do it.
Old 08-08-2020, 19:07   #120

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
It is funny how poorly some people take rejection here on CF. I am just not that into you kiwis. Get over it.

I am sure that your decision is the correct decision for you, considering that the bulk of this part of the world has in place quarantine and other import restrictions that some members of the American community feel should not be there.
Enjoy your sailing wherever you end up.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em

Tags
New Zealand, yacht