Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > COVID-19 | Containment Area
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2020, 18:27   #91
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub
Re: Yachties Stuck In New Zealand - Facing Expulsion

The whole rest of the world to cruise. A lot of us have long memories.
Old 07-08-2020, 18:30   #92

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeron View Post
The whole rest of the world to cruise. A lot of us have long memories.
Good for you.... you will be sadly missed...

Whole world?
Really?
https://www.noonsite.com/news/novel-...try-worldwide/
Old 07-08-2020, 18:35   #93

Boat: Outremer 55L

During Covid times we are all going to have to cruise local areas. In the whole South Pacific right now only Fiji is open to (limited and expensive) foreign yachts. Everything else is effectively closed.

Same for the Caribbean.

Northern Europe I believe is relatively open with a few exceptions.

Mediterranean? Mostly closed I believe.

Canada, US and Mexico - all closed.

South Africa and Indian Ocean countries I haven’t heard.

SE Asia closed.

Stay local.
Old 07-08-2020, 18:52   #94
Senior Cruiser

No kidding Sherlock, but COVID isn't going to last forever. We are in our early 50's and plan to cruise until we can't physically go on. So far so good -4 years, the last two full time. We have got decades ahead of us and the world is our mollusc.

25 years from now? I will still remember how the snotty kiwis treated these cruisers during this difficult time for us all, kicking them out and basically taking their homes away from them.

A reputation lasts forever. If you think this kind of behavior is OK then I feel sorry for your soul, or whatever fascimilie of one you may posess.
Old 07-08-2020, 18:59   #95

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
No kidding Sherlock, but COVID isn't going to last forever. We are in our early 50's and plan to cruise until we can't physically go on. So far so good -4 years, the last two full time. We have got decades ahead of us and the world is our mollusc.

25 years from now? I will still remember how the snotty kiwis treated these cruisers during this difficult time for us all, kicking them out and basically taking their homes away from them.

A reputation lasts forever. If you think this kind of behavior is OK then I feel sorry for your soul, or whatever fascimilie of one you may posess.
I have no idea what you are whinging about, they extended visas for visiting yachts, suggested everyone repatriated if and when they could, and are probably now going to approve another extension for people who didn't leave.

That's quite the snotty attitude you have there, I'm 100% sure they won't miss you one bit!
Old 07-08-2020, 19:04   #96
Senior Cruiser

Who cares who misses us? Is this supposed to be some sort of a biting insult or something? Are people so low self-esteem out there that they actually care if everyone out there likes them?
Old 07-08-2020, 19:12   #97
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Who cares who misses us? Is this supposed to be some sort of a biting insult or something? Are people so low self-esteem out there that they actually care if everyone out there likes them?
24 hours ago you cared whether or not you were liked but not so much today apparently

Quote:
...... Plenty of other places that will appreciate us. If not then maybe we will not ever head that way at all.

All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 07-08-2020, 19:28   #98

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Black Heron, for someone who has yet to be damaged by the NZ policies you have a surprisingly negative attitude. If you decide to forgo visiting NZ because of a few posts here on CF, posts that have been shown to be somewhat ignorant of reality, then I despair for your cruising future.

But, as you say, there are lots of destinations to be visited, and perhaps some of them will meet your rigid criteria. Who knows the future?

Meanwhile, those of us who have enjoyed cruising in NZ will look forward to being allowed back in when things ease up.

Jim
Old 07-08-2020, 20:08   #99
Senior Cruiser

I like to learn from the mistakes of others, rather than have them someday happen to me. This issue that this thread is based on is simply horrible in my view.

NZ is a persnickety place. Cruisers have had to jump through all sorts of hoops and ridiculous rules well before this particular COVID issue. It's nothing new. It is a pattern.

We currently have a cat. NZ was up until now a place we could only go after she was no longer with us. Now I'm probably just going to go out and get another cat right away when ours passes someday because I have just crossed NZ right off of the list of places I ever want to go, along with the other places with similar rules against feline cruiser crew.

That's my opinion, and if stating it thusly hurts people's feelings from DU then they can just learn to deal with it or change their policies. If they don't care, or "won't miss me" I surely do not care either. As I said, there is a whole big wide world where the people don't have anything stuck up their bums like they seem to DU.
Old 07-08-2020, 20:38   #100

Quote:
I have just crossed NZ right off of the list of places I ever want to go, along with the other places with similar rules against feline cruiser crew.
Hope that your boat has big tanks, for you may just find that there are more than a few countries in the Pacific Basin that have quarantine rules for domestic pets on board. May have some long passages ahead of you, seeking felis catus freedom of entry.

Jim (who voluntarily gave up on pets aboard in order to go cruising)
Old 07-08-2020, 20:46   #101
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Sitting in French Polynesia waiting to see. Hawaii or NZ or stay in FP. Could be worse choices!
Old 07-08-2020, 20:49   #102
Senior Cruiser

Or we don't come that way at all. What's it to you?
Old 07-08-2020, 21:09   #103

Location: Boat is on the hard in San Carlos for the tropical storm season. We are back in the PNW
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Nah, we know that the USA is the world leader in the CV response and so it stands to reason (clearly) that those Kiwis aren't....

I have heard this directly from the horse's mouth...haven't you been keeping up with your twitter feed!

If you heard it from the US government, then you did not hear it from the horses mouth - you heard it from horses other end!
Old 07-08-2020, 21:42   #104

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillsbury View Post
And you know perfectly well that Oz and NZ have reciprocal agreements and there are plenty of Aussies over here who are just as welcome. More so, in fact, as they get automatic residency and access to benefit payments, whereas in the last 20 years Kiwis in Oz don't automatically get all the same benefits. There was a bit of a hoo-haa not long ago if you remember, when Kiwis living in Oz weren't granted the same Covid-related support. That was eventually cleared up, but still Kiwis in Oz don't have all the same protections.

But you will also know that Australia, like New Zealand and every other country I've ever heard of, has tourist or visitor visas that are limited to a number of months, for visitors from most other countries.
I'm old enough to remember when you could go out to the airport and pay for a ticket to NZ, or to Australia from NZ, at the checkout counter with no passport, no ID, no security clearances or health or immigration clearances, and you could stay as long as you liked. It was easier and usually quicker to get to or from NZ than to Western Australia because they were paranoid about fruit flies and sparrows.

At the moment it would probably be easier to come from or go to NZ than to or from Melbourne so we're not picking on you we are just blasted with paranoia.
Old 07-08-2020, 22:15   #105

Quote:
Or we don't come that way at all. What's it to you?
Not much at all, for it is a big area and a meeting is unlikely. But slanging the Kiwis kinda gets annoying to many of us who think highly of them, both before and during covid days, and most likely after if that happens.

Your personal movements are of little matter.

So, lets get back to considering the plight or delight of folks stuck there for the duration.

Jim

Tags
New Zealand, yacht