Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2020, 18:47   #1

Boat: Outremer 55L
Entering Canada by boat, can we quarantine on board?

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...ion-sheet.html

Does our boat tied up to a marina dock qualify as a suitable place of quarantine? I’ve asked Canada Public Health but am still waiting for a response.

Hopefully this will be a moot question next summer, but just in case.
Old 11-10-2020, 08:33   #2

Boat: Sceptre 41
Re: Entering Canada by boat, can we quarantine on board?

Likely a moot question by next Summer....

Currently, if you're not a Canadian citizen (or Permanent Resident), you cannot enter, quarantine or not. IF you are one on the above, there have been recent examples of sailors returning to BC by sail from Hawaii whose 3 weeks at sea were accepted as quarantine.
Old 11-10-2020, 12:12   #3

Boat: Fountaine Pajot / Venezia 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post

Does our boat tied up to a marina dock qualify as a suitable place of quarantine? I’ve asked Canada Public Health but am still waiting for a response.

Hopefully this will be a moot question next summer, but just in case.

I think the federal rule is simple: you have to self quarantine for 14 days when you come back to Canada. It does not say where you must quarantine.

But the border is only open to Canadian citizens/residents. If you are a citizen/resident, depending on the province of residence, you are allowed to go some places but not others. Take a look at this map and pick your province of residence, it will tell you where you can or can't go https://time-to-travel.ca/where-cana...can-travel-now

Note that the maritime provinces have crated a bubble between them allowing their residents to travel freely between PEI, NS, NB and NL, but it may change anytime as the second wave is striking.
Old 11-10-2020, 13:42   #4

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

My wife quarantined on the boat in Aug. One week at the dock, and one week at anchor.

Cheers.
Paul.
Old 11-10-2020, 16:19   #5

I am a Canadian citizen (though last resident in Canada over 8 years ago) and my wife is not Canadian but of course can come in with me.

Our passage will be from at least Hawaii and possibly New Zealand if the borders aren’t more open next year, so either will be more than 14 days.

The plan is to enter at Prince Rupert, then after any quarantine explore the central coast and find a winter berth in Bella Coola. That’s the nearest (in relative terms) to the town where my mom is, which is why we’d be sailing to Canada in the first place.
Old 11-10-2020, 17:13   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Interesting, we are in a similar situation. Canadian citizen but not resident, although we have a cottage there we visit each year. Wife is US citizen.

Considering making a passage, at or close to 14 days, could make it so if needed.

Hopefully the issue will be moot before June 2021.

HOPEFULLY being operative there.
Old 11-10-2020, 18:41   #7

Boat: Rafiki 37

I'd love to believe it will be a non-issue by 2021, but at this point I'm beginning to worry about this persisting for many years. Some modelling I've recently seen suggests the coming years may be 10x or 100x times worse than we've seen so far. If this is the case, all bets are off as to how countries will be responding.

Canada can't legally turn away a citizen that lands on it's shores, but I'm not so sure about a non-citizen. You should check carefully with Canadian immigration before you depart to make sure there won't be a problem with your wife.
Old 11-10-2020, 23:49   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I'd love to believe it will be a non-issue by 2021, but at this point I'm beginning to worry about this persisting for many years. Some modelling I've recently seen suggests the coming years may be 10x or 100x times worse than we've seen so far. If this is the case, all bets are off as to how countries will be responding.

Canada can't legally turn away a citizen that lands on it's shores, but I'm not so sure about a non-citizen. You should check carefully with Canadian immigration before you depart to make sure there won't be a problem with your wife.

Immediate family
Old 12-10-2020, 03:50   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Where/how you quarantine will likely depend upon your boat, and the facilities available (at marina, etc).

You can enter Canada if you are an Immediate family member (✓) of a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, subject to Quarantine requirements.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...html#immediate
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...tml#citizen-pr
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...tml#quarantine
You cannot quarantine in places you can’t separate yourself, such as at a camp, student dorm or other group setting where there is close contact and shared common spaces (?).

Old 12-10-2020, 04:49   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:

Mike

Certainly hope you are wrong on the numbers. On continued border closures, now in perpetuity by your estimation closures are pointless. Even WHO disagrees.
https://apple.news/ANRUXPBs8Sn2Sxev9WZzpyQ

"We in the World Health Organization do not advocate lockdowns as the primary means of control of this virus," Nabarro said.
"The only time we believe a lockdown is justified is to buy you time to reorganize, regroup, rebalance your resources, protect your health workers who are exhausted," he added. "But by and large, we'd rather not do it."

Falling on ones sword is not a means to an end.
Old 12-10-2020, 05:14   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Yeah, I am not a big fan of lockdowns, but I must by the rules.

I have many comments, but all off topic and no one cares anyway.
Old 12-10-2020, 06:26   #12

Boat: Rafiki 37

I'm glad to see the clear exemption for immediate family. Was that part of the recent changes Canada made? I'm aware of stories where families have been separated by this border closure, so I'm glad to see it being relaxed somewhat.

I certainly hope the new modelling is wrong. I was painfully shocked when I saw some of the projections. In them, our Spring and now Fall waves are dwarfed in size. This is why I said all bets (and predictions) are off regarding how countries will be responding should these models come to pass.

I've read the WHO guidelines on lockdowns and border closures (not exactly the same thing). They are more subtle that this clip that is now being circulated by opponents. They point out the very real double-edged sword that lockdowns represent. There is a real cost, and sometimes the cure is worse than the disease.
Old 12-10-2020, 06:32   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
I'm glad to see the clear exemption for immediate family. Was that part of the recent changes Canada made? I'm aware of stories where families have been separated by this border closure, so I'm glad to see it being relaxed somewhat ...
I don't think that the immediate family permission is new.
An immediate family member is defined as a

spouse or common-law partner
It should be noted that grandparents, for instance are not included.

Old 12-10-2020, 08:27   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
I am a Canadian citizen (though last resident in Canada over 8 years ago) and my wife is not Canadian but of course can come in with me.

Our passage will be from at least Hawaii and possibly New Zealand if the borders aren’t more open next year, so either will be more than 14 days.

The plan is to enter at Prince Rupert, then after any quarantine explore the central coast and find a winter berth in Bella Coola. That’s the nearest (in relative terms) to the town where my mom is, which is why we’d be sailing to Canada in the first place.
fxykty you have made an incorrect assumption.

Your keyword above: NOT.

There are exemptions that will allow visiting immediate family members and extended family members to enter Canada. Your family member must be a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident in order to enter Canada.

To be considered an immediate family member, you must be in one of the following relationships:

you’re the spouse or common-law partner of the person
you‘re the dependent child of the person or the person’s spouse or common-law partner
you’re the dependent child of a dependent child of the person
you’re the parent or step-parent of the person or the person’s spouse or common-law partner
you’re the guardian or tutor of the person
You’ll be required to demonstrate that you plan on entering Canada for a period of at least 15 days.

In order to enter Canada as an extended family member, you must be in one of the following relationships:

in an exclusive dating relationship with the person for at least 1 year and have spent physical time together
a dependent child of the person you’re in an exclusive dating relationship with
a non-dependent child of the person or the person’s spouse, common-law partner, or the person you’re in an exclusive dating relationship with
a dependent child of this person
a sibling, half-sibling or step-sibling of the person or of the person’s spouse or common-law partner
a grandparent of the person or of the person’s spouse or common-law partner
You’ll also be required to:

demonstrate you intend to enter for a period of at least 15 days
have a declaration signed by the Canadian citizen or permanent resident that confirms your relationship
be authorized in writing by Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada to enter Canada to be with your extended family member.

Reference link: https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...restrictions_1
Old 12-10-2020, 08:31   #15

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lucia

Would a person sailing a Canadian flagged yacht be subject to HST (or PST & GST) upon entering Canada? I guess if the taxes hadn’t previously been paid or the yacht is not registered in Canada, then, no problem.
- I would imagine the Canadian Government would accept days at sea to count towards the 14 day quarantine period. 🤔

Tags
boat, Canada