Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2020, 16:02   #61

Boat: O'Day 322
Re: The Great Lakes Situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farlander View Post
I think as boat owners, particularly those with cruising vessels near coasts and major water ways, we should be vocal about our rights to access the vessels and launch / haul out. Sailing can easily be enjoyed by one, and a boat launch can easily be done with 6' social distancing.

To deny boat owners the chance to enjoy their preferred hobby / lifestyle because of a forced lockdown is fasciscm.

Sadly most people can't seem to get the hang of 6' minimums and hand washing / spraying everything you touch with lysol before and after.
I have called the marina manager, the Health Department chief and the Mayor (my marina is a municipal marina) arguing in favor of letting owner access their boats in the yard. Mine is in the water, but they won’t let me access it either.

Marina manager is sympathetic, but she is under orders from the mayor.

I think I could approach the marina by water (row boat or dinghy) and the security guards would not know I was there, but not sure I a want to take the chance of getting arrested (the security guard told he would call the police if I tried to walk in)...

Oh boy...

Greg
Old 31-03-2020, 18:50   #62

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
Right now the 4 marina's around me (Port Darlington, Wiggers, Port Whitby, and Whitby Yacht Club are all closed as "non-essential" and have asked customers to stay away.
Thanks. This is what I assume will be the case everywhere in all jurisdictions which have similar orders. There's no way a recreational marina will be considered "essential" in these times of whoa.
Old 01-04-2020, 05:57   #63

Boat: 1985 Aloha 28

This is also a strange time of year when all the marina's ask for the seasonal slip fees. In normal years I'm happy to pay, this year just feels odd handing over a wad of cash for a place you can't go and boat you can't visit. There's been no communication from the marina either so we don't know what the impacts are to launch day or the lenght of season. I'm not sure anyone knows that yet I guess.
Old 01-04-2020, 06:16   #64

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Thanks. This is what I assume will be the case everywhere in all jurisdictions which have similar orders. There's no way a recreational marina will be considered "essential" in these times of whoa.
Interestingly, CT seems to be considering marinas essential and letting them stay open. Even ones that don't provide any meaningful services or fuel. NY seems to be mostly doing the same. Seems like those of you on the other side of the lake are in a bit worse shape, however.

As of Monday, my marina is still not sure of spring launch dates or what spring launch will look like. They're not sure whether they'll be able to have a full crew to do the normal full scale launch, and I also expect a lot of people are probably not sure if they want to launch.

But they're still operating, so chances are, we'll be able to get in the water. My only concern is that I'm in the inside storage shed. The attached picture was taken standing on the bow of my boat a few months ago. The door we'd have to get out through is just behind the travel lift at the far end. So by my best estimate, they've got at least 5, probably 6 boats to move to get us out of the shed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191117_141410.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	251.8 KB
ID:	211801  
Old 01-04-2020, 06:44   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Interestingly, CT seems to be considering marinas essential and letting them stay open. Even ones that don't provide any meaningful services or fuel. NY seems to be mostly doing the same. Seems like those of you on the other side of the lake are in a bit worse shape, however.

As of Monday, my marina is still not sure of spring launch dates or what spring launch will look like. They're not sure whether they'll be able to have a full crew to do the normal full scale launch, and I also expect a lot of people are probably not sure if they want to launch.

But they're still operating, so chances are, we'll be able to get in the water. My only concern is that I'm in the inside storage shed. The attached picture was taken standing on the bow of my boat a few months ago. The door we'd have to get out through is just behind the travel lift at the far end. So by my best estimate, they've got at least 5, probably 6 boats to move to get us out of the shed.
Interesting indeed given that NY is now the global epicenter.

I've been surveying all the marinas on Lake Ontario (for work), and have come upon perhaps 20% that are closed due to Covid-19. A few have been in the US, but mostly in Canada.
Old 01-04-2020, 06:52   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Interesting indeed given that NY is now the global epicenter.

I've been surveying all the marinas on Lake Ontario (for work), and have come upon perhaps 20% that are closed due to Covid-19. A few have been in the US, but mostly in Canada.
It is interesting, but at the same time, NY has been trying to keep options open for people to get out and do things that don't involve contact with people they don't live with. So state parks are free with the intent of encouraging people to go hiking, etc. By that logic, keeping marinas open in some capacity makes sense. Some of them provide essential services, and for the rest, some time on the boat is probably good for people. Just leave the friends behind and avoid contact with other boaters.

I've noticed that everyone who's been in the yard working on their boats has been pretty good about keeping to themselves and not interacting with anyone, so that's encouraging.
Old 01-04-2020, 07:05   #67

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Our yacht club, Whitby YC, have announced a delay in launch from early May to late May. Obviously no one knows what will happen, but we use cranes for launch and I imagine they have to work toward a particular date even if it needs to be delayed further.
Old 01-04-2020, 07:13   #68

Quote:
It is interesting, but at the same time, NY has been trying to keep options open for people to get out and do things that don't involve contact with people they don't live with. So state parks are free with the intent of encouraging people to go hiking, etc. By that logic, keeping marinas open in some capacity makes sense. Some of them provide essential services, and for the rest, some time on the boat is probably good for people. Just leave the friends behind and avoid contact with other boaters.

I've noticed that everyone who's been in the yard working on their boats has been pretty good about keeping to themselves and not interacting with anyone, so that's encouraging.
And here in Ontario they've closed all the municipal and provincial parks, right now till the end of April. It's not a big deal up here yet since most of the provincial parks would normally be closed till May (due to winter). But if this goes beyond May 1st...

I support the need for physical distancing, but I think boating can certainly be done accordingly. And for cruisers, what better way to self-isolate than to be on a well-equipped boat.
Old 01-04-2020, 08:16   #69

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
It is interesting, but at the same time, NY has been trying to keep options open for people to get out and do things that don't involve contact with people they don't live with. So state parks are free with the intent of encouraging people to go hiking, etc.
Ironically, NYS has a Lyme Disease epidemic with over 80,000 infected. Sending more people, particularly Soccer Mom and Dad, out hiking is going to get a lot of people sick. Perhaps more ironically, the same governor that wants to send families hiking had cut Lyme research and prevention funding by 30%. Doh.

Far safer on boats!
Old 01-04-2020, 09:42   #70

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:

Seems odd that NY would try to keep things open for everything given the circumstances. There are 5 times more confirmed cases in the state of NY than all of Canada, and they are still encouraging people to get out?? Seems like the american's aren't really taking this situation seriously despite the numbers indicating that 1 in 5 cases of Corona (worldwide) are in the U.S.
Old 01-04-2020, 09:49   #71

Quote:
Seems odd that NY would try to keep things open for everything given the circumstances. There are 5 times more confirmed cases in the state of NY than all of Canada, and they are still encouraging people to get out?? Seems like the american's aren't really taking this situation seriously despite the numbers indicating that 1 in 5 cases of Corona (worldwide) are in the U.S.
NY has all non-essential employees home from work (I've been working from home for weeks at this point). The walking trail near my house has been busy though. Mostly individual people or couples walking, so people are doing a good job of getting out and walking, etc. without being in groups.
Old 01-04-2020, 10:52   #72

Our club's commodore has been in touch with the province and Ontario Sailing. The official word today is:
Quote:
ALL YACHT CLUBS AND MARINAS ARE TO BE CLOSED during the two-week state of emergency and remain closed if that is extended. Entry to club/marina premises is restricted except for necessary maintenance (e.g., roof leak, dealing with high water), safety issues, or emergencies.

Basically, we can't work on, or even visit our boats during this time, except for emergency work - eg prevent damage from high winds. Liveaboards have permission to remain and isolate there... and they're in-place security anyway.

So that's the north side of the Great Lakes shut down...
Old 01-04-2020, 11:12   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Our club's commodore has been in touch with the province and Ontario Sailing. The official word today is:

Basically, we can't work on, or even visit our boats during this time, except for emergency work - eg prevent damage from high winds. Liveaboards have permission to remain and isolate there... and they're in-place security anyway.

So that's the north side of the Great Lakes shut down...
My Marina shut down last Wednesday (Wiggers) for this 14 day period. I was hoping that I would be able to get back to my boat by the 8th, but who knows.
Old 01-04-2020, 11:54   #74

Quote:
My Marina shut down last Wednesday (Wiggers) for this 14 day period. I was hoping that I would be able to get back to my boat by the 8th, but who knows.
Well... Apparently the clock was reset on Monday, and the state of emergency will be revisited (and possibly extended) every two weeks.

I'm resigned to this state of things for all of April, and half-anticipating the same for some or all of May. After that, could be pitchforks and torches if we can't get on the water by June
Old 01-04-2020, 12:01   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Well... Apparently the clock was reset on Monday, and the state of emergency will be revisited (and possibly extended) every two weeks.

I'm resigned to this state of things for all of April, and half-anticipating the same for some or all of May. After that, could be pitchforks and torches if we can't get on the water by June
Yep, We had plans to paint our hull and decks before launching this year. I have a leaky seacock that needs repairing before launch and I need to repack my stuffing box and install my prop. Guess the Painting will have to go by the wayside this year! And my new cradle is waiting for me at a new club this year too!

man could be a short, short season!

Tags
great lakes