Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2020, 10:30   #1

Boat: Ontario 32
pirate The Great Lakes Situation

Up until a week ago, the main concern for clubs and marinas here on the Great Lakes was that we were expecting to once again experience record-high water levels. Thanks to Covid-19, this may no longer be a concern for some of us.

Here in my home club on Lake Ontario, we come together as a group to launch all of our boats in one day, using a rented crane. Because of the current restrictions on the assembly of large groups this is no longer possible (here in Ontario, the limit for a group assembly is currently 50, expect it to be reduced to 10 or less soon). So, for our club there is no possible launching for the foreseeable future. Many marinas have sent their staff home and shut down, since they are deemed non-essential. However, I have been told that the Niagara-on-the-Lake club is going to proceed with their launch, working with a 3 or 4-man team to launch their boats over a number of days.

What is the situation with your club or marina? Do you anticipate getting your boat in? Or is this going to be another lost season? And what is the effect going to be on the general Marine industry? I know of a few marine chandleries that are either closing or contemplating closing because the last few seasons have been devastating, thanks to the record high water levels.

It's a shame, because I know that my favourite form of self-isolation is to be floating around in the middle of the lake, preferably with a cold brew.
Old 23-03-2020, 10:41   #2

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: The Great Lakes Situation

Exact launch dates are still TBD at my marina, but as of Friday, they were still working. I'll be going to do some work on the boat this evening, so assuming I get there early enough I'll be able to get a sense of what operations are still going on.

So far it looks like I'll likely be an early May launch, but at this point, who knows what'll change between now and then. I'm just going to shoot for projects finished and boat ready to launch on a few hours notice by the last weekend in April and see what happens from there.
Old 23-03-2020, 10:47   #3

We're still talking about a launch at our club, with some kind of way to keep the numbers down, but I dunno if we will be allowed to.

My wife just told me that Toronto's mayor John Tory is making a speech today at 3 PM EDT. My wife suspects a harder lockdown is coming.

Anyway, I cannot conceive of a hard lockdown lasting much past end of April. The economy and people just won't tolerate it. So... hoping for a launch before June.
Old 23-03-2020, 15:40   #4

Crane is booked for our boats who have 14'+ beam on April 24th. My friend's boat is at Outer Harbour Marina and his launch date is May 13th.
Old 23-03-2020, 15:42   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Ontario Premier Doug Ford announces closure of all non-essential businesses, beginning Tuesday Speaking in Toronto, Ford said only grocery stores, pharmacies, takeout and delivery restaurants, essential manufacturing industries and supply chain suppliers will be allowed to remain open. The province’s liquor stores will also remain open, according to a report from the Toronto Star. A full list of businesses allowed to stay open will be released Tuesday, he said..
https://www.thestar.com/politics/pro...f-cheques.html

Old 23-03-2020, 15:44   #6

Don'cha just love how the LCBO* is considered an essential service? We'll all be under the table by the end of this...!

*Liquor Control Board of Ontario
Old 23-03-2020, 20:26   #7

Boat: Ontario 32

Yes, but why is the rum always gone?

So LittleWing, are you telling us that the big boats are getting to launch (14+ beam) but us little guys are getting the short end of the tiller?
Old 23-03-2020, 21:41   #8

Boat: Columbia 8.7

My Indiana marina will close when the state locks down Wednesday. Scheduled opening April 1st, splash late April, neither will happen until the state lockdown is lifted.
Old 23-03-2020, 23:39   #9

Michigan just issued a "stay at home" order. Until April 13.

The marina didn't launch too many boats prior to April 13, anyway. However, I'm sure they will be behind on various things.

I really hope this issue is on the decline, by April 13...
Old 24-03-2020, 05:35   #10

Boat: Nonsuch 30

I think we just have to go with the flow on this one. It is impossible to know what situation will be in another month.
Old 24-03-2020, 08:58   #11

From Dublin, Ireland.. They closed the pubs here 2 weeks back... ;-)

Interesting times...
Old 24-03-2020, 10:26   #12

Boat: Macgregor 26D

I'm a trailer sailor (Mac26D and Siren 17) so I have some options when it comes to where and when I can launch. That is if were allowed out. I've read of Marina's closing in Ontario but so far not of public access ramps.
I have a very busy cruising season planned in the North Channel and Georgian Bay in general. I hope that there will be marinas open by June so I can pump out at least. If there not my waste management will have to go a different direction. (The Mac I pump out. Siren is Double Duty bags and a bucket with lid to take liquid to shore.) I drink filtered lake water...

I may have to aim to anchor near known camp sites and kayaking stop overs. There's usually a thunder box or out house associated with these sites. (I've been marking thunder boxes on my charts for a few years now.)
It will be interesting to see if any restrictions are put on cruising. I really hope there won't be any.
Stay safe out there.

Marty. (4 rolls of TP in each boat)
Old 24-03-2020, 14:40   #13

Boat: Beneteau First 235

Wye Heritage( Maple Leaf Marinas) Midland, Georgian Bay, just sent an email today that they are closed and the gate is locked and there is no access for members until further notice. Our sails are stuck at the sail loft also. 1st world problems and not a big deal when you look at the potential big picture.
Old 24-03-2020, 14:47   #14

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

I got confirmation today that my marina is considered essential, so staff are still working and operations are normal-ish. I expect the ship's store won't be opening on time, but that's about it. They've got the deepest draft fuel dock in the area and also house the sheriff's department boats, state DEC boat, TowBoatUS and provide services for the CBP station across the street. So out of every marina in the area, they're the least likely to end up closed.
Old 24-03-2020, 14:57   #15

Boat: F-82 tri.

here is a link to the recently released list
https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.news....kplaces-2.html
hope it works.

Tags
great lakes