Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2020, 12:28   #31

Re: The Great Lakes Situation

Our club just announced that they have pushed the normal end-of-April launch to end of May. This is all conditional on lockdowns and social distancing being relaxed enough to permit the concentrated activity of a launch, and the normal social interactions of a boat club.

So... woohoo! Something to aim for.

Everyone maintain your isolation NOW so we can have boating later.
Old 29-03-2020, 13:44   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Buena Vela.

Old 30-03-2020, 06:50   #33

Boat: Aloha 32

At HYC (Toronto) we have cancelled our April launch. We will reschedule when/as things progress. No way to even guess then that might be at this point.
And we have almost completed our adjustable dock refit and would have been ready for the high water levels too.
Old 30-03-2020, 07:02   #34

Boat: C&C 110
Send a message via Skype™ to Marc S

Both main marinas on Lake Macatawa (Holland, MI) are closed and not launching until further notice. Access to yard boats is inconsistent.
Old 30-03-2020, 07:04   #35

Boat: Rafiki 37

Did everyone catch this news? Not that relevant yet since the season is still too early, but if this persists ...

https://greatlakes-seaway.com/wp-con...0200326_en.pdf

Quote:
MONTREAL / LAKE ONTARIO SECTION
WELLAND CANAL SECTION

Pleasure Craft Lockages Suspended at Canadian Locks until Further Notice

Effective immediately, all pleasure craft lockages in the St. Lawrence Seaway are suspended. This suspension applies to both the Montreal / Lake Ontario section and the Welland Canal section of the Seaway.
Old 30-03-2020, 07:11   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Did everyone catch this news? Not that relevant yet since the season is still too early, but if this persists ...

-sigh - not surprised. Trent-Severn and Rideau will probably not open either til the isolation orders are lifted.
Old 30-03-2020, 07:23   #37

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
-sigh - not surprised. Trent-Severn and Rideau will probably not open either til the isolation orders are lifted.
Yup, you're right .

Quote:
All Parks Canada facilities are temporarily closed, all visitor services and all motor vehicle access by visitors are suspended until further notice.
https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/lhn-nhs/on/trentsevern

https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/lhn-nhs/on/rideau
Old 30-03-2020, 07:37   #38

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:

That's a little bit surprising to me. I'm hoping that "no news is good news" regarding the NY canals. Worst case, at least we're not in a bad place to be "trapped" due to closed canals.
Old 30-03-2020, 08:19   #39

Boat: 42' Simpson Catamaran

We are located in the Twin Ports of Duluth, MN and Superior, WI on Lake Superior. There is a stay at home order here in both MN and WI. We're on the WI side so I'm not sure what the marinas in MN are doing. Although we still have ice in the marina it is still considered 'essential'. They closed the ship store but the shop is still plugging away with some extra measures in place to limit customer contact, etc. From what I understand they do plan to put in docks and start launch ASAP at ice out.
We currently have 6 COVID-19 cases in our county and 10 across the bridge in Duluth so as that changes it may have an effect on how the marina functions, I'm guessing.
Old 30-03-2020, 09:31   #40

Boat: 1967 Acadian Yawl 30'

Sure glad I can tide-launch on my own, without the hassle of cranes and coordinating with our yacht club! Looking forward to going on extended cruises this summer under the heading of self-isolation!
Old 30-03-2020, 10:21   #41

Boat: 1970 Ericson 35 MKII

I think as boat owners, particularly those with cruising vessels near coasts and major water ways, we should be vocal about our rights to access the vessels and launch / haul out. Sailing can easily be enjoyed by one, and a boat launch can easily be done with 6' social distancing.

To deny boat owners the chance to enjoy their preferred hobby / lifestyle because of a forced lockdown is fasciscm.

Sadly most people can't seem to get the hang of 6' minimums and hand washing / spraying everything you touch with lysol before and after.
Old 30-03-2020, 10:29   #42

Boat: Gemini 105mc
Unhappy Re: The Great Lakes Situation

Quote:

I feel trapped... not only is my boat on the hard, I can't even fantasize about sailing out the Saint-Lawrence away from this ****.
Old 30-03-2020, 11:12   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farlander View Post
I think as boat owners, particularly those with cruising vessels near coasts and major water ways, we should be vocal about our rights to access the vessels and launch / haul out. Sailing can easily be enjoyed by one, and a boat launch can easily be done with 6' social distancing.
As far as launching one boat at a time at a marina, maybe. The usual "launch weekend" used by clubs and some marinas involves tons of people, so is not currently permitted.

And - once launched, you have full parking lots and people milling about the marina/club, up and down the docks, partying or yakking with neighbours... that is also verboten.

So if your boat's normally at a club or marina, there's really no point to launching til enough of the restrictions have lifted that the marina or club returns to normal.

At our club we're betting on end of May.

In the next few weeks we may see things that will make missing a month or so of boating... not that important.
Old 30-03-2020, 12:23   #44

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by finding41 View Post
I'm a trailer sailor (Mac26D and Siren 17) so I have some options when it comes to where and when I can launch. That is if were allowed out. I've read of Marina's closing in Ontario but so far not of public access ramps.
I have a very busy cruising season planned in the North Channel and Georgian Bay in general. I hope that there will be marinas open by June so I can pump out at least. If there not my waste management will have to go a different direction. (The Mac I pump out. Siren is Double Duty bags and a bucket with lid to take liquid to shore.) I drink filtered lake water...

I may have to aim to anchor near known camp sites and kayaking stop overs. There's usually a thunder box or out house associated with these sites. (I've been marking thunder boxes on my charts for a few years now.)
It will be interesting to see if any restrictions are put on cruising. I really hope there won't be any.
Stay safe out there.

Marty. (4 rolls of TP in each boat)
We installed an Air Head when we cruised the GL. Essential in the North Channel. No need to clean out the poo pot for 3-6 weeks.
Old 30-03-2020, 12:25   #45
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Marc.

Tags
great lakes