Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2020, 14:14   #76

Boat: Nonsuch 30
Re: The Great Lakes Situation

My plans for this summer were North Channel via the Trent-Severn - first time since mid 70s that I have a boat with shallow enough draft. Plan for 2021 was Newfoundland; for 2022 more Newfoundland or south, missing Grenada. I don't normally do plans, perhaps I am causing all this?
Old 01-04-2020, 14:20   #77

Boat: Hans Christian 43
The Great Lakes Situation

Hope marinas give some consideration for less use of slips( cost significantly higher than on shore storage ) and reduced hydro costs If this goes on into normal season. Just got my insurance invoice.... they might benefit from reduced exposure too, can’t see a rebate there.
Old 01-04-2020, 14:59   #78

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowglide View Post
Hope marinas give some consideration for less use of slips( cost significantly higher than on shore storage ) and reduced hydro costs If this goes on into normal season. Just got my insurance invoice.... they might benefit from reduced exposure too, can’t see a rebate there.
Unlikely. Marinas took a big hit the past two years. In many cases the owners would do well to sell the property to condo developers. I’m happy to pay regular rate, the alternative sucks.
Old 01-04-2020, 15:03   #79

Hi All
I'm new to the forum but not to sailing. I bought a boat in Buffalo in November that will be moored at Youngstown Yacht Club on Lake Ontario. Just read on this thread about the closure of the Welland Canal. I had planned to transit the canal in May to get the boat to Youngstown, but in this weird time, trying to operate on a schedule makes no sense. So I'm just chillaxin and waiting for the world to right itself.
Last night we had an earthquake in Boise, Idaho, where I live. Somehow, an earthquake seemed appropriate. Political upheaval, a pandemic and earthquakes. Just another Tuesday afternoon...
Would love to be spending time in the yard on my boat, setting it up the way I want it, but for now I'll just have to find other entertainment, as will we all. Looking forward to learning some of the skills I lack from you all.
My new boat?
A lightly used, freshwater 2006 Hunter 38 in excellent condition. Over the winter I added a full cockpit enclosure, and I have all the gear for 320 watts of solar on the bimini. The yard is going to install the solar and a couple of brand new 4Ds when they reopen. I think I may need 400 watts of solar, so I will try to add another 100 watts on top of the dodger. Also adding a 38" flatscreen. I plan to live aboard in Youngstown off and on during sailing season. The most beautiful sunsets on the planet there...
Stay safe, y'all.
Old 01-04-2020, 16:35   #80

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

I got some good news today. Went by the marina this evening to do some work on the boat and they had a note posted on the office door indicating that they're currently planning to start launching in earnest on April 27th. So unless something causes them to change that, I'll probably be in the water some time around mid-May. Probably a 1 - 2 week delay from what I was expecting originally, which is not bad at all.
Old 02-04-2020, 03:42   #81
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, summerof69.

Old 02-04-2020, 07:55   #82

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
I got some good news today. Went by the marina this evening to do some work on the boat and they had a note posted on the office door indicating that they're currently planning to start launching in earnest on April 27th. So unless something causes them to change that, I'll probably be in the water some time around mid-May. Probably a 1 - 2 week delay from what I was expecting originally, which is not bad at all.

Further clarification on that came today: Marina is closed and not doing service or anything until 4/27, but we can still work on our own boats. Launching is planned to start as soon as they re-open operations. Hopefully the 4/27 date holds and doesn't get pushed.
Old 02-04-2020, 15:11   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerof69 View Post
My new boat?
A lightly used, freshwater 2006 Hunter 38 in excellent condition. Over the winter I added a full cockpit enclosure, and I have all the gear for 320 watts of solar on the bimini. The yard is going to install the solar and a couple of brand new 4Ds when they reopen. I think I may need 400 watts of solar, so I will try to add another 100 watts on top of the dodger. Also adding a 38" flatscreen. I plan to live aboard in Youngstown off and on during sailing season. The most beautiful sunsets on the planet there...
What!?

Are you trying to torture us, Summer of 69?

Sounds absolutely bloody lovely. Hope you get there soon.

Warmly,
LittleWing77
Old 03-04-2020, 07:55   #84

One from Rick Mercer. So ok, only relevant to the northern side, maybe.

Old 03-04-2020, 09:47   #85

Boat: Jeanneau SO 34.2

Does anyone have any current information on Wisconsin marinas? Pikes Bay in Bayfield, as of 3/25, is open for parts ordering and services, but physically accessible only to staff.

https://www.waterwayguide.com/covid-19-reports has no WI updates since 3/25.
Old 03-04-2020, 10:04   #86

Boat: Grampian 26

Outer Harbour Marina in Toronto is owned by the federal government. They have locked the washrooms, locked the office (you may phone or email them) and delayed launch. We have a couple of TraveLifts so we don't need to all launch at once. There is a guard in the gatehouse during the day now but he doesn't seem to be stopping owners.
Old 04-04-2020, 06:19   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Right on, Rick! (And thanks Lake Effect!)
Old 04-04-2020, 21:53   #88

Boat: Columbia 8.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFS Klopas View Post
My Indiana marina will close when the state locks down Wednesday. Scheduled opening April 1st, splash late April, neither will happen until the state lockdown is lifted.
Turns out this was wrong, marina is opening next week.
Old 07-04-2020, 19:09   #89

Boat: Tanzer 8.5 #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post

Another Rick Mercer fan here. Thanks!

Re: the 6th great lake , Lake Champlain, the marina we were at last year in Rouses Point NY is closed. Makes no difference, can't cross the border anyway.
Old 10-04-2020, 12:57   #90

Boat: Beneteau 331

A quick update from our home port.

We remain under a Stay at Home order, however water sports are acceptable activities.

You are allowed to use public launches
Fuel and pump out docks are closed
Fueling at docks is illegal
Boat yards are closed-no launching
I doubt working on your boat is an essential activity (but I'd argue the contrary)

Another big impact is the record high water.

The City is removing all equipment in the drawbridge and leaving it in the up position.

Municipal marinas are closed because the electric lines are under water.

I haven't seen water levels at our slip, but thats moot because I don't envision launching until mid May at the very best.

Tags
great lakes