Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > COVID-19 | Containment Area
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2020, 03:53   #901

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)
Re: Northern Europe this Summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
The Chileans and Argentinians are only claiming bits of the UK areas, they aren't bothering the Aussies. We are a friendly mob and have let Russia, China, Romania, France and Italy all build bases on the Aussie turf.

If you are interested, you might like to set up camp in Marie Byrd Land. It could help you when you try selling something you don't have...

I recall the Argentinians thought they had a claim on the Falklands too .
I've camped in lot of places and not imaging that making me an owner. The same applies for Aussies. The claim is not internationally recognized. You know Russia is making similar claims on North Pole which means what ..
Old 02-09-2020, 05:44   #902
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
I've camped in lot of places and not imaging that making me an owner. The same applies for Aussies. The claim is not internationally recognized. You know Russia is making similar claims on North Pole which means what ..

Why do the Aussies maintain three permanent bases on their territory - so we are 9/10 there already. Why do we welcome the four Russian camps in our territory - 'cause we are eying off the NP as well - quid pro quo and all that

Quote:
Talking about wild claims I (and my palls) claim the ownership of Ceres, Europa, Io and Callisto and the space between the orbits, effectively half way from Mars to Jupiter and a bit beyond..
Camped on Ceres, Europa, Io and Callisto or just imaging ownership
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 02-09-2020, 06:17   #903

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Why do the Aussies maintain three permanent bases on their territory - so we are 9/10 there already. Why do we welcome the four Russian camps in our territory - 'cause we are eying off the NP as well - quid pro quo and all that

Camped on Ceres, Europa, Io and Callisto or just imaging ownership
I deny even your claim on Aboriginal land on a continent you are calling Australia.. Out of this discussion..
Old 02-09-2020, 14:48   #904

Quote:
I deny even your claim on Aboriginal land on a continent you are calling Australia.. Out of this discussion..
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 02-09-2020, 19:15   #905

This Montanan is left pondering how did mention of Australia, Chile, Argentina end up being included into a thread with a topic of Northern Europe this Summer.

Seemingly, rather about equally geographically and topically far offtopic.

Old 02-09-2020, 20:47   #906

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
This Montanan is left pondering how did mention of Australia, Chile, Argentina end up being included into a thread with a topic of Northern Europe this Summer.

Haha.... Ya gotta keep up with the conversation .

Now go back to post #892/893 and try to stay current - the topic has progressed, possibly because NH summer has ended a few days back...

Real cruisers look to the future, not the past .

Old 03-09-2020, 05:56   #907

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post

This thread is at nearly 1000 posts, and still going, although as Wotname mentioned, the "Northern European Summer" which was the original topic, actually ended a few days ago! The thread has ranged far and wide. Some of the discussion was kind of ugly, in the early months, but later became more interesting and cordial. I think it's been a good thread, and might still have some life left in it.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Old 03-09-2020, 09:03   #908

Quote:
Haha.... Ya gotta keep up with the conversation .

Now go back to post #892/893 and try to stay current - the topic has progressed, possibly because NH summer has ended a few days back...

Real cruisers look to the future, not the past .

Okay, got it now.

Summer is headed south. Enjoy it, Downunder. Sun is getting lower and days are shortening in The Last Best Place - Montaña. Temperatures still in the upper 70's, low 80's during the days, cooling to the upper 40's at night, humidity 35 to 40%. That be Fahrenheit scale. Our thermometers don't list Celsius.

Thankfully, no fire season so far this year and getting a bit late to become of major threat potential. Nice to have no smoke in the Big Sky Country, except from what drifted in from distant California for a few days during the last couple of weeks.

With international travel constrained by COVID-19, thus no prospect for our going to New Zealand or southern pacific or the Caribbean during our cold months, I may take up iceboating if it gets cold enough up here to freeze over the lakes. Trying to imagine how to modify our smallest boat, a trailerable Hobie Tandem Island Adventure, a sailyak used for remote alpine lakes, with port and starboard amas [trimaran] becoming equipped with blades and skis on the hulls and on the rudder. Could be a zoomer cutting across the frozen water, ice or even on packed snowfields. Being knocked down / over on ice or snow is totally different experience than on the seas. Hard water. One does not have to be concerned about rough seas when the wind picks up, quite the differential from water sailing.

From our 406 Country, I am wishing you all the best, stay healthy.
Old 11-09-2020, 22:59   #909

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Here is the situation in Northern Europe today, compared to a couple of weeks ago, with some other countries for comparison:

Click image for larger version

Name:	dailycases12sep.PNG
Views:	107
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	223238

We have an alarming outbreak (by Northern European standards) in Denmark:

Name:	dailynewcasesdenmark.PNG
Views:	100
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	223239

Germany and Sweden are stable at a low level. Cases have nearly doubled in Finland and Estonia, but these are still low levels. Nevertheless, the dynamic is not good.

Travel rules are changing all the time. Nordic countries now restrict travel by region. So Norway now restricts travel from Southern Denmark, which has the most serious outbreak in Northern Europe at the moment. In many countries you have to go through passport control despite Schengen.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 12-09-2020, 06:18   #910

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Interestingly, but not pleasant to report -- Norway is also seeing a quite substantial increase in cases, 110 per day 7 day rolling average, which is 2.08 per 100k of population. Pretty far from Denmark's 4.1, but well above Sweden and Finland and the trend is unpleasant. Hope this turns around.
Walt Whitman
Old 12-09-2020, 11:37   #911

Boat: a sailing boat

Situation in Southern Europe as bad x5. ;-(

b.
S Europe
Old 12-09-2020, 18:13   #912
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Interestingly, but not pleasant to report -- Norway is also seeing a quite substantial increase in cases, 110 per day 7 day rolling average, which is 2.08 per 100k of population. Pretty far from Denmark's 4.1, but well above Sweden and Finland and the trend is unpleasant. Hope this turns around.

But looking at the Deaths they are not currently massively increasing (not just Norway - Spain is a good example) in line with the amount of new cases, so this is a good thing - People are getting it, acquiring an immunity and not dying.

Its funny how that since the death rate in a lot of places has plateaued, its now all about the amount of cases and not deaths that is being pushed - Not just by the media, but individuals as well - Gotta keep that fear rolling......
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Spain.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	223308  
Old 12-09-2020, 18:43   #913
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440

Interesting article:

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...hJwdIYIP82Uru4
Old 13-09-2020, 01:05   #914

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
But looking at the Deaths they are not currently massively increasing (not just Norway - Spain is a good example) in line with the amount of new cases, so this is a good thing - People are getting it, acquiring an immunity and not dying.

Its funny how that since the death rate in a lot of places has plateaued, its now all about the amount of cases and not deaths that is being pushed - Not just by the media, but individuals as well - Gotta keep that fear rolling......

I posted in another thread about the striking change in the death rates all across Europe. Even in France, with a huge outbreak according to cases per 100k, almost no one is dying. This is really good new - but why? Why were people dying in the spring and not now?
Walt Whitman
Old 13-09-2020, 03:45   #915

Boat: Gib sea 43

Vitamin D, its summer! Apparently being deficient in vitamin D makes you 25x more likely to end up in hospital from covid.

If the pen is mightier than the sword, then my keyboard must be a nuclear missile!

Tags
rope, Europe