Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2022, 03:28   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Long COVID

Nerve Damage May Contribute to Long COVID Symptoms

A small peer-reviewed study[1] of patients suffering from persistent symptoms long after a bout of COVID-19 found that nearly 60 per cent had nerve damage, possibly caused by a defective immune response, a finding that could point to new treatments, researchers have found.

The new U.S. study[1] involved in-depth exams of 17 people, with so-called long COVID, a condition that arises within three months of a COVID-19 infection, and lasts at least two months.

As many as 30 per cent of people, who have COVID-19, are believed to develop long COVID, a condition with symptoms ranging from fatigue, rapid heartbeat, shortness of breath, cognitive difficulties, chronic pain, sensory abnormalities, and muscle weakness.

Oaklander and colleagues focused on patients with symptoms consistent with a type of nerve damage, known as peripheral neuropathy. All but one had had mild cases of COVID-19, and none had nerve damage prior to their infections.

After ruling out other possible explanations for the patients' complaints, the researchers ran a series of tests, to identify whether the nerves were involved. The vast majority had small fibre neuropathy, meaning damage to small nerve fibres, that detect sensations and regulate involuntary bodily functions, such as the cardiovascular system, and breathing.

In the current study [1], 11 of the 17 patients were treated with either steroids or intravenous immunoglobulin (IVIG), a standard treatment for patients with small nerve fibre damage caused by an immune response. Some improved though none were cured.

The findings are consistent with a July study [2], by Drs. Dr. Rayaz Malik & Gulfidan Bitirgen & colleagues, of Weill Cornell Medicine Qatar, that found an association between nerve fibre damage in the cornea, and a diagnosis of long COVID.

[1] “Peripheral Neuropathy Evaluations of Patients With Prolonged Long COVID” ~ by Anne Louise Oaklander MD, PhD, et al
Full paper ➥ https://nn.neurology.org/content/9/3/e1146
Reporting About ➥ https://www.medpagetoday.com/neurolo...eurology/97470

[2] “Corneal confocal microscopy identifies corneal nerve fibre loss and increased dendritic cells in patients with long COVID” ~ Dr Gulfidan Bitirgen et al
Full paper ➥ https://bjo.bmj.com/content/early/20...ol-2021-319450
About ➥ https://qatar-weill.cornell.edu/medi...covid-patients

Old 03-03-2022, 05:45   #2

Boat: Albin Vega 27'
Re: Long COVID

Well in my case I hope there is no long term damage but I've been ill with Covid for for going on 5 weeks, that included having to go to the ER two weeks ago with shortness of breath and chest pain.

Good thing, is today I feel a bit better and could get out to clear the driveway. Managed about 25 mins at it, the most I could do since Jan. Going to take a little rest now as I don't want to over do it. This has been very frustrating as I normally work 8 or 9 hour a day as a carpenter and the lack of energy and weakness that this as caused is really disabling.

Anyone who says Covid is just a flu should experience just a few days of what I have had, they might change their mind.
Old 03-03-2022, 06:09   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Glenn, I had a much milder case than yours, and six weeks later I still experience elevated blood pressure and lowered oxygenation. Mine was after two Moderna shots and a booster. You are so right - this disease is nasty, and surviving it is only the beginning. Best wishes for your recovery.
Old 03-03-2022, 06:37   #4

Boat: Albin Vega 27'

tkeithlu thanks and I hope this is the end of it. I too have had my vaccines, three different ones, Astrazeneca, Moderna and Pfizer.

I think if not for those it may have been much worst.

My son and his wife and two kids also had it but again they had their shots and had mild cases. Amazingly my wife did not get it, at all. She had her shots earlier than me, she's a critical care RN and got them at work. She says all those years in hospitals she has a great immune system.