Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > COVID-19 | Containment Area
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2021, 12:41   #2296

Re: Northern Europe during Pandemic -- Summers 2020 & 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon villa View Post
I do have the option and the crew to do it non stop weather permitting, one more reason to choose the time of the year. However chances are I will have to shelter somewhere along the way, and I don't know what to expect when that happens. I don't have the option to postpone the trip as I'll be homeless without the boat.
Thanks for your replies Boatman and Montanan
Entering territorial waters to make innocent transit passage and being able to take shelter from a storm is likely. Making actual landfall, or tying to a quay, or provisioning that is when it becomes more problematic. It is one thing to stay at anchor under the Q flag, another to be provided inspection / clearance or free pratique.

Refueling, while keeping social distance, that seems to have been more commonly available during lockdown. One just can't be certain what the virus will allow.

Stock up fully so as to be able to complete the voyage or to be stuck at an anchorage for extended travel restrictions, [weeks of going no where was not uncommon last year].

Turas maith & luas dé
Old 27-03-2021, 13:06   #2297
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Northern Europe during Pandemic -- Summers 2020 & 2021

Areas to anchor under Quarantine flag awaiting weather.. .
Syracuse Sicily
Alcudia Mallorca
W coast Ibiza
LA Linea Spain (off the beach between harbour and breakwater..)
Cadiz Bay (turn to stbd once inside and follow Channel toward SE corner then to port to clear the channel and head for beach, good holding in 5metres)
Portimao or Sagres Portugal
Setubal W Portugal
Cascais W Portugal
Baiona NW Spain (also lots of rias N of there)
After that it's a run across the Biscay and home.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 27-03-2021, 13:58   #2298

There's a definite feeling of optimism here in the UK , I'm seeing volumes of people being sheparded in for their vaccine shots , I'm guessing that the sub 60 year olds are now being processed ,I'm due my second shot April 13th ( NHS worker ) ,those that were given the Pfizer shot are now being told that their second shot has been cancelled .
My personal view is that alll this negative publicity being put out by the EU ,regarding the AZ vaccine is to cover their political asses for what is a major screw up by those at the top . Out of 17 million doses there have been 38 recorded cases of blood clots , I wonder how many people each year have had reactions to the flu jab and it does happen , I had my first flu jab this year and I Had to wait 15 minutes before they would let me go , it was to check that I did not react badly to it.
The numbers from Europe are looking bad ,we need to take a covid test before we can enter Europe ,I hope items reciprocated process
Old 27-03-2021, 14:43   #2299
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Today's anti viral supper..
Home made Chilli con Carne.. Not canned, frozen or packet mix..

Fresh garlic.. Benifits include lowers blood pressure and cholesterol, an anti-inflammatory effect, a reduced risk of cancer, and a stronger immune system.
Fresh onions.. Benefits include detoxing system, strengthens respiratory system and boosts immune system.
Ground Cumin seed.. Benifits include boosts immune system, detox, anti inflammation and combats free radicals.
Paprika.. Benifits include rich in antioxidants, Vitamin A.
Tumeric.. Benefits include anti inflammatory and antioxidants.
Red Chilli... Benifits include rich in Potassium, Vitamin C, aids respiratory pathways, anti biotic properties.
Tomato puree.. Benefits include Iron, Potassium and B vitamins.
Fresh Corriander garnish rich in Vitamin C, Vitamin K and protein, calcium, phosphorous, potassium, thiamin, niacin and carotene.
Basmati Rice.. Benifits are its loaded with vitamins and minerals.. and filling.
Mango and Ginger Chutney on the side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210327_211820.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	434.5 KB
ID:	235330  

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 28-03-2021, 12:34   #2300
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
If there are travel restrictions inhibiting travel then you should be able to claim force majeure on the contract in which case it becomes a negotiable relationship wherein once the situation avails the parties to the contract to be able to perform their respective parts then the contract can proceed. So I would expect that they would agree to an alternative date in the future for your charter, if you are precluded from arrival. A return of your deposit, well that may be something they could consider but I suspect they will more likely just agree to reschedule. Much depends on their liquidity status and the terms of the contract and whether the deposit funds were being held in escrow to mutual favor, or the funds were put into their working capital and not restricted as to their usage of your advance payment. When one is dealing with travel that involves advance deposits, it is advantageous that such funds be placed in an escrow fund, and / or there is the opportunity to utilize one's credit cards to provide such, in which case one can typically have the credit card company reverse the charge back to the vendor if they don't fulfill their end of the bargain. Albeit in this instance, it more your inability to fulfill the charter obligation so a reversal of the credit card charge is unlikely. All too often travelers do not insist on deposits being put into escrow and the travelers end up being shorted when the travel agency / service firm defaults. Caveat emptor.

All the best.
Do not disagree however, to charter a boat with le Boat you have to sign their contract, agree to their terms or you don't get a boat, plain and simple. Of course a number of the provisions are questionable at best and could be legally challenged but at the end of the day, it would cost more time and money to go after them than to walk away.

Encountered this when taking SCUBA classes. Had to sign a waiver indemnifying the instructor for any and all damages and injuries, even if the instructor demonstrated gross negligence. No waiver, no class. Spoke to my father who went to law school (never took the bar as he went into a related field that didn't require it) who assured me that the waiver was worthless if the instructor did cause injury due to any negligence on his part.

Since all flights to France were canceled and all travel banned last year le Boat would not give a refund but did give me credit to rebook this year; unlike Delta and AirBNB who both gave a full refund, no problem

Now if le Boat was US based (idea: maybe they have a US entity I could go after) I would take them to small claims court. Did that with Royal Caribbean over lost luggage and they immediately paid.
Old 28-03-2021, 13:26   #2301

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
. . . Spoke to my father who went to law school (never took the bar as he went into a related field that didn't require it) who assured me that the waiver was worthless if the instructor did cause injury due to any negligence on his part.. . .

Just for the record -- waivers of ordinary negligence are generally valid if well-formed. Waivers of gross negligence or intentional misconduct are generally not.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Old 28-03-2021, 13:36   #2302

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Do not disagree however, to charter a boat with le Boat you have to sign their contract, agree to their terms or you don't get a boat, plain and simple. Of course a number of the provisions are questionable at best and could be legally challenged but at the end of the day, it would cost more time and money to go after them than to walk away.

Encountered this when taking SCUBA classes. Had to sign a waiver indemnifying the instructor for any and all damages and injuries, even if the instructor demonstrated gross negligence. No waiver, no class. Spoke to my father who went to law school (never took the bar as he went into a related field that didn't require it) who assured me that the waiver was worthless if the instructor did cause injury due to any negligence on his part.

Since all flights to France were canceled and all travel banned last year le Boat would not give a refund but did give me credit to rebook this year; unlike Delta and AirBNB who both gave a full refund, no problem

Now if le Boat was US based (idea: maybe they have a US entity I could go after) I would take them to small claims court. Did that with Royal Caribbean over lost luggage and they immediately paid.
Le Boat was bought out by TUI a bunch of years back... which think is now Travelopia. They (Le Boat) used to have a big florida office which was who I did all my booking through. As a side note they now have a great canal trip in Ontario up the Rideau so maybe you can have it moved there because I am betting Canada opens up before France.
Old 28-03-2021, 18:31   #2303
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Just for the record -- waivers of ordinary negligence are generally valid if well-formed. Waivers of gross negligence or intentional misconduct are generally not.
Yes, as I recall that was father's advise, so should have specified gross vs ordinary. I guess that begs the question of what defines the difference between ordinary and gross negligence?
Old 28-03-2021, 18:33   #2304
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
Le Boat was bought out by TUI a bunch of years back... which think is now Travelopia. They (Le Boat) used to have a big florida office which was who I did all my booking through. As a side note they now have a great canal trip in Ontario up the Rideau so maybe you can have it moved there because I am betting Canada opens up before France.
Thanks. That might be an option. Canada is certainly ahead of France in vaccinations so could open up much sooner.
Old 28-03-2021, 18:34   #2305

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Yes, as I recall that was father's advise, so should have specified gross vs ordinary. I guess that begs the question of what defines the difference between ordinary and gross negligence?

https://legal-dictionary.thefreedict...oss+negligence
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Old 29-03-2021, 10:54   #2306

First ‘real-world’ study from the United States on Pfizer and Moderna COVID-19 vaccines found 90% efficacy

The CDC study included 3,950 people in the U.S. who received either the Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna vaccine during the height of country's winter surge, from mid-December to mid-March. All were essential workers, including health care personnel and first responders from six states: Arizona, Florida, Minnesota, Oregon, Texas and Utah.

Two weeks after participants received both of the recommended doses, their risk of SARS-CoV-2 infection was reduced by 90%. (People are considered fully vaccinated two weeks after they received their final dose.) Even the first dose had an effect, reducing infection risk by 80%, the study found.
Importantly, the research also showed that both vaccines not only prevent people from getting sick with COVID-19, they also help prevent asymptomatic infections, in which people never develop symptoms.
Old 29-03-2021, 12:53   #2307

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Today's anti viral supper..
Home made Chilli con Carne.. Not canned, frozen or packet mix..

Fresh garlic.. Benifits include lowers blood pressure and cholesterol, an anti-inflammatory effect, a reduced risk of cancer, and a stronger immune system.
Fresh onions.. Benefits include detoxing system, strengthens respiratory system and boosts immune system.
Ground Cumin seed.. Benifits include boosts immune system, detox, anti inflammation and combats free radicals.
Paprika.. Benifits include rich in antioxidants, Vitamin A.
Tumeric.. Benefits include anti inflammatory and antioxidants.
Red Chilli... Benifits include rich in Potassium, Vitamin C, aids respiratory pathways, anti biotic properties.
Tomato puree.. Benefits include Iron, Potassium and B vitamins.
Fresh Corriander garnish rich in Vitamin C, Vitamin K and protein, calcium, phosphorous, potassium, thiamin, niacin and carotene.
Basmati Rice.. Benifits are its loaded with vitamins and minerals.. and filling.
Mango and Ginger Chutney on the side.
You left out the all-important beverages. Surely there are add'l anti-viral benefits to be had there. Even if not, certainly therapeutic ones.
Old 29-03-2021, 13:00   #2308
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
You left out the all-important beverages. Surely there are add'l anti-viral benefits to be had there. Even if not, certainly therapeutic ones.
Apologies...
Should have added that... I drink this with juice from 1/2 a lime with spicy meals..

Benefits include.. A single 1.5 oz serving can reduce anxiety and contribute to a solid night’s sleep.
Antimicrobial properties of rum can help prevent a common cold.
By increasing the mineral density of bones, rum helps prevent osteoporosis and assist in alleviating arthritis.
It helps fight and prevent muscle pain.

Also.. Rum has the properties to keep your brain stronger and healthier. Thus it decreases the risks of getting Dementia and Alzheimer’s. Just have one and a half ounces rum per day, and you’re good to go.
Rum may also Improve Your Libido

A single dose below..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210329_205750.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	426.5 KB
ID:	235443   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210329_211819.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	401.6 KB
ID:	235444  

Old 29-03-2021, 13:17   #2309

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Apologies...
Should have added that... I drink this with juice from 1/2 a lime with spicy meals..

Benefits include.. A single 1.5 oz serving can reduce anxiety and contribute to a solid night’s sleep.
Antimicrobial properties of rum can help prevent a common cold.
By increasing the mineral density of bones, rum helps prevent osteoporosis and assist in alleviating arthritis.
It helps fight and prevent muscle pain.

Also.. Rum has the properties to keep your brain stronger and healthier. Thus it decreases the risks of getting Dementia and Alzheimer’s. Just have one and a half ounces rum per day, and you’re good to go.
Rum may also Improve Your Libido
Thank you (Dr.) Boatman. Best "prescription" I've seen offered in one of these Covid threads to date.
Old 29-03-2021, 15:09   #2310

Quote:
No chance.. Europe is a cluster flock.. others may think otherwise..
Quote:
In the last month or so I've heard from friends in Italy, France, Netherlands, Belgium and the UK. All agree that it's a FUBAR.
I wonder if the long term impact of the pandemic will be the political fallout from the EuroCrats handling of the crisis.

The EU's triggering of Article 16 seemed very heavy handed and without consideration of the consequences in Northern Ireland. The latent ember of The Troubles has certainly been fed and things are slowly heating up in NI. If that ember is not cooled down and reburied, we might be seeing the start of The Troubles V2.0.

The EU's attack on AZ, the company AND the vaccine, just seems nothing short of desperate and bone headed. Their attack on AZ and questioning the safety of the vaccine is surely not helping people who have concerns about the vaccine's safety when the government is saying it safe, not it's not, yes it is.

With Brexit and the loss of the UK's contribution to the EU, the remaining countries are going to have to increase taxes paid to the EU and/or cut services. I really don't see the EU cutting services, so will the Frugal Four and Germany want to continue to fund the EU at higher rate, especially given the EU's performance during the pandemic? Can the EU legally issue bonds? Will the German court case succeed, and if so, what will be the ramifications for an EU pandemic recovery AND the EU?

Later,
Dan

Tags
rope, Europe