Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > COVID-19 | Containment Area
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2021, 11:42   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: I heard there was an announcement about opening the US/Canada border on June 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsfforsberg View Post
Yeah, that's why the "public" is "locked down". Who is locked down? Please think for yourself. I really don't mean to be mean....but holy cow, the blissful ignorance is insane. By now most people have had "the covid" whether they felt it or not, so this nonsense is just that. You'll be fine. Relax, go for a walk outside, and get some sunshine and vitamin D. The regulations are government created, illogical nonsense. Do you really think that a sailboat cruising from Seattle to Alaska is going to spread covid? Really? Are people dropping like flies from this thing? Again, I had covid worse than anyone I've ever talked to, met, or know....it sucked, but that's it. You are far more likely to spread covid than me. Just stay at home and be very afraid of your neighbor....he's the boggieman!
Do as you wish but please stay away from me.
Old 15-05-2021, 11:43   #32

Re: I heard there was an announcement about opening the US/Canada border on June 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
Since you've aimed this at me, I'll reply. Of what should I be very afraid?

The coves! The coves! aaaaah! Run for your lives! You might get a fever for a few days! aaaaah!
Old 15-05-2021, 11:44   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Do as you wish but please stay away from me.

I will, you might give me the coves.
Old 15-05-2021, 11:46   #34
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsfforsberg View Post
I will, you might give me the coves.
BLOCKED
Old 15-05-2021, 13:30   #35

Boat: Beneteau/343

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
The US may open its borders to us - but I doubt Canada will open for visitors anywhere near that soon. We lag quite far behind the US in vaccination rates and the pandemic rages on in many parts of Canada. Also I agree with a previous comment that the changes to the masking rule by the US CDC will lead to the anti-vaxers also discarding their masks and very likely could lead to a big resurgance of infections going into the summer.

I'll do the Broughtons (again!) for you if you wish
Please do. While you are at it, please give my regards to Waddington Harbour.

I suspect the reason for saying “no masks needed if you are vaccinated” was to head off the idea that getting the vaccine isn’t worth much if you still have to wear the mask. Personally, I took the very first opportunity presented to get the vaccine and since I’ve not had a cold in 15 months, I’m thinking there are some side benefits that make the mask worth it.
Old 15-05-2021, 13:57   #36
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by davefromoregon View Post
Personally, I took the very first opportunity presented to get the vaccine and since I’ve not had a cold in 15 months, I’m thinking there are some side benefits that make the mask worth it.
Really?! Don’t you understand that this is bad, not good?! Your immune system is designed to encounter and deal with everyday viruses, not to be isolated from them! This will make a simple Coronavirus like the common cold a novel virus for you.

When you have been fully vaccinated for a couple of weeks, you need to stop washing your hands every couple minutes, stop using hand sanitizer and take that mask off while going outside. This is no joke

Old 15-05-2021, 14:06   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyDaveNY View Post
Please note that the shots being provided in the U.S. are NOT vaccines. They are gene therapy. They do NOT prevent anyone from getting the virus nor do the prevent anyone from spreading it. What they do however is reduce or eliminate symptoms of those who do get it.
They are NOT gene therapy.

The vaccines greatly reduce the chance of catching COVID, and also greatly reduce both the intensity and duration of illness. Which means that they reduce spreading from the vaccinated who do still catch it. Reduced infection means reduced symptoms, of course.
Old 15-05-2021, 14:29   #38

It's been over a year now (Jan/Feb 2020) and the rwnj's still don't get it. Masks don't protect you, they protect me from you.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 15-05-2021, 14:41   #39

Boat: Rafiki 37

I just think it's so cute how these anti-everythings keep crawling out of the woodwork to post here.
Old 15-05-2021, 14:53   #40

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by davefromoregon View Post
Please do. While you are at it, please give my regards to Waddington Harbour.

I suspect the reason for saying “no masks needed if you are vaccinated” was to head off the idea that getting the vaccine isn’t worth much if you still have to wear the mask. Personally, I took the very first opportunity presented to get the vaccine and since I’ve not had a cold in 15 months, I’m thinking there are some side benefits that make the mask worth it.
I will.

You are absolutely right about the masking. I've not had a cold for 15 months and the doctors and scientists are saying there was NO flu season this past winter.

My daughter, a doctor (of Aerospace Engineering, not medicine ) this morning sent me a very interesting article about "airborne" diseases:

https://www.wired.com/story/the-teen...1sxxrJ7m6oKBi4

It seems the CDC and WHO got it all wrong at the start of this pandemic. For over 60 years the standard definition of an airborne disease is one where the particles are less than five microns. Anything bigger has been thought too big to stay in the air for any length of time and can be expected to fall to the ground (or any other surface) very quickly. Apparently the Covid-19 virus IS bigger than five microns and so wasn't classified as an airborne disease. Hence the hand washing, "deep cleaning", and six foot social distancing. WRONG! This article identifies where the five micron cut-off originated and shows just how wrong it is. Apparently particles as big as 100 microns can stay in the air for long periods of time and travel great distances - like 100 feet in a large, poorly ventilated room. It turns out that masks and ventilation (or being outdoors) are the most important barriers to transmission (although UV sterilization of the air and HEPA filters are also mentioned).

I think the thing about masks was also exacerbated in the early days of the pandemic by the critical shortage of masks and the need to keep available suppy for health care workers.

With a revised definition of what makes a disease an airborne disease, many others such as the flu, colds, etc. now fall in the category and can be minimized by mask wearing.
Old 15-05-2021, 15:21   #41

It should be a no brainer to allow fully vaccinated Americans into Canada although it does seem our government will be reluctant to believe in the vaccines...
Old 15-05-2021, 15:41   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eder View Post
It should be a no brainer to allow fully vaccinated Americans into Canada although it does seem our government will be reluctant to believe in the vaccines...
I think the problem is with people being able to PROVE they have been vaccinated. There's been enough cheating going on with testing to indicate there could be a significant number of people who will declare themselves vaccinated when they haven't been - and the idea of a secure, universal vaccine passport hasn't really caught on - although perhaps it will once vaccines are available to everyone - which, due to limited supply, they are not yet in Canada.

And where do you get the idea that "our" government (whoever that is: Canadian or American?) is reluctant to believe in the vaccines? Since I think it was January 20th, I believe BOTH governments have been pushing very hard to get everyone vaccinated.
Old 15-05-2021, 15:51   #43
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I am surprised that the governments, Canadian and USA, have not come to some agreement over fully vaccinated people. I have my vaccine card. I have my passport. It seems like I should he allowed to pass.

What possible reason, other than fear politics, to block you that interchange?
Old 15-05-2021, 16:01   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
I am surprised that the governments, Canadian and USA, have not come to some agreement over fully vaccinated people. I have my vaccine card. I have my passport. It seems like I should he allowed to pass.

What possible reason, other than fear politics, to block you that interchange?
Yes, but vaccine cards are, as are Covid test results, too easy to forge.
Old 15-05-2021, 16:05   #45
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I don’t think thats the issue. Too many ways to fix it.

Tags
Canada, men