Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > COVID-19 | Containment Area
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2021, 16:28   #121

Boat: Sceptre 41
Re: I heard there was an announcement about opening the US/Canada border on June 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Adeline View Post
I don't write the news, I watch it on television. They have specifically reported what they called * break through* cases where fully vaccinated people contracted covid 19 and became deathly ill. They also state that vaccinated persons who are exposed usually have little or no symptoms and are over the infection in a few days...make no mistake they are classified as infected.
Calling me a liar for repeating a mainstream media news report during a relevant conversation is childish and rude. If the reports are a lie...it's the news media reporting it.
It's a matter of degree...
Reporting on breakthrough cases and the fact that they may have passed on the virus, in itself, is not false or inappropriate. But it must be put in perspective: breakthrough cases are less than 5% and not all of this proportionally small number passed on the virus.

This is very different from your incorrect statement that vaccination "does nothing to mitigate the spread. Ie: protects you, endangers others who have not had vaccine".
Old 17-05-2021, 19:19   #122

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: I heard there was an announcement about opening the US/Canada border on June 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Adeline View Post
Calling me a liar for repeating a mainstream media news report during a relevant conversation is childish and rude. If the reports are a lie...it's the news media reporting it.
Please post your "mainstream media news report." That way we can assess the validity of their claims, and your interpretation.

I'm sorry if you feel put out, but I'm tired of this constant false crap coming from a small group of people who state untruths like: "but does nothing to mitigate the spread. Ie: protects you, endangers others who have not had vaccine."

Yes, there have been "break through" cases where fully vaccinated people are getting infected. And once infected, they have the possibility of spreading this disease. No immunity, be it generated by vaccine or natural exposure, produces 100% protection. That's why basic public health measures remain important. And that's why the getting everyone (or most) people vaccinated is so important. Vaccines have two functions. They protect the individual, but mostly they protect everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
You of course didn't include a link, but I'm pretty sure that the mainstream media did not say "[vaccination] does nothing to mitigate the spread. Ie: protects you, endangers others who have not had vaccine". This is not true.

Let's be generous and just say that you misunderstand, then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post
It's a matter of degree...
Reporting on breakthrough cases and the fact that they may have passed on the virus, in itself, is not false or inappropriate. But it must be put in perspective: breakthrough cases are less than 5% and not all of this proportionally small number passed on the virus.

This is very different from your incorrect statement that vaccination "does nothing to mitigate the spread. Ie: protects you, endangers others who have not had vaccine".
Old 18-05-2021, 05:50   #123

Boat: C&C

What makes "mainstream media" that is funded by the government the only ones that supposedly speak and broadcast the truth? Could we have your "mainstream media" official names and stations so that I can just blindly follow them and delete all others. Then when they call for us to line up and jump off that bridge I can make sure to be right behind you, I surely don't want to be left behind in this narrow minded world.
Old 18-05-2021, 06:32   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannacat View Post
What makes "mainstream media" that is funded by the government the only ones that supposedly speak and broadcast the truth? Could we have your "mainstream media" official names and stations so that I can just blindly follow them and delete all others. Then when they call for us to line up and jump off that bridge I can make sure to be right behind you, I surely don't want to be left behind in this narrow minded world.
90+% of the people on CF who consistently complain about "mainstream media" get their "news" from overtly partisan blogs, newsgroups and emails, who make no secret of their bias.

My favourite moment in all this "mainstream media bias" BS was late 2019 when Trump urged his followers to dump Faux News for even more biased partisan news sources. Cos Faux wasn't biased enough. Can't make this stuff up...
Old 18-05-2021, 07:11   #125

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Enough politics.

Tags
Canada, men