Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > COVID-19 | Containment Area
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2021, 09:22   #16

Re: I heard there was an announcement about opening the US/Canada border on June 30

I think it is very unlikely the border will open before September. The US move to allow vaccinated people not to wear masks without any real form of identification will most certainly lead to another massive outbreak due to the the anti masker vaxers. Very foolish decision.
Old 15-05-2021, 09:26   #17

Boat: Beneteau/343
Re: I heard there was an announcement about opening the US/Canada border on June 30

Unfortunately, it is as I mentioned in the original post. I “heard” something from a friend. I do not have a real source. I figured there were a lot of people here who are intensely interested in what is going on. My hope is/was that if there were something to it, you guys would know.
Old 15-05-2021, 09:40   #18

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
SO cynical, Mr. O'Reilly!
So accurate Mr. O'Reilly!
Old 15-05-2021, 09:46   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by davefromoregon View Post
Unfortunately, it is as I mentioned in the original post. I “heard” something from a friend. I do not have a real source. I figured there were a lot of people here who are intensely interested in what is going on. My hope is/was that if there were something to it, you guys would know.
The US may open its borders to us - but I doubt Canada will open for visitors anywhere near that soon. We lag quite far behind the US in vaccination rates and the pandemic rages on in many parts of Canada. Also I agree with a previous comment that the changes to the masking rule by the US CDC will lead to the anti-vaxers also discarding their masks and very likely could lead to a big resurgance of infections going into the summer.

I'll do the Broughtons (again!) for you if you wish
Old 15-05-2021, 10:06   #20

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWilly View Post
If you “heard” something, please provide a source, rather that just throwing out speculation. It’s not helpful at all. Thanks.
Seriously, A Rumor?
LOL
Old 15-05-2021, 11:10   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
The US may open its borders to us - but I doubt Canada will open for visitors anywhere near that soon. We lag quite far behind the US in vaccination rates and the pandemic rages on in many parts of Canada. Also I agree with a previous comment that the changes to the masking rule by the US CDC will lead to the anti-vaxers also discarding their masks and very likely could lead to a big resurgance of infections going into the summer.

As an "anti-vaxer" I can tell you that us non-sheep never wore the masks anyway, so a "masking rule" change will not affect anything. The CDC recommendations will never matter to me. I simply will not comply with their rules that make no sense. If the rules made logical sense, I'd comply, but wearing masks outside? Locking yourself indoors? That's insane - never going to do that.
Old 15-05-2021, 11:18   #22

Boat: Jeanneau SO45.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsfforsberg View Post
As an "anti-vaxer" I can tell you that us non-sheep never wore the masks anyway, so a "masking rule" change will not affect anything. The CDC recommendations will never matter to me. I simply will not comply with their rules that make no sense. If the rules made logical sense, I'd comply, but wearing masks outside? Locking yourself indoors? That's insane - never going to do that.

Then, respectfully, please stay on your side of the border.
Old 15-05-2021, 11:21   #23

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Please note that the shots being provided in the U.S. are NOT vaccines. They are gene therapy. They do NOT prevent anyone from getting the virus nor do the prevent anyone from spreading it. What they do however is reduce or eliminate symptoms of those who do get it.

Regardless of how many people get the shots, it may ultimately make no difference in when the borders are opened or the rules relaxed. Mike's comment is spot on and as elections approach I think Mike's comment will become more and more the case (here in the U.S. too!).
Old 15-05-2021, 11:21   #24

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:

There you have it!!
This is Why we're not opening sooner, antivaxxers keep the economy and the public locked down. Spreaders
They don't want to help anyone but themselves.
Selfish! IMHO
Old 15-05-2021, 11:32   #25

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatyarddog View Post
This is Why we're not opening sooner, antivaxxers keep the economy and the public locked down. Spreaders
Selfish! IMHO
I have to respectfully disagree with you based upon the science. I was just in Florida for almost five weeks and they are open for business. They shut down for a couple of weeks so that their medical facilities weren't over burdened, however once they took a look at the total situation, they opened up and didn't kill their economy, while taking a targeted approach. They are doing much better than here in the People's Republic of New York both economically and from a death toll. Here in NY, our rules made no sense at all. There are other states that are experiencing similar results. California has the strictest lock down rules of all and they are among those with the most problems.

We must remember that most people are at exceptionally low risk and that the overwhelming majority of people who die are those with multiple underlying conditions. Also, the overwhelming majority of those who had it had zero or occasionally very mild symptoms.

Having said all of this, if someone is afraid and they want to wear a mask, they have a right to. If it makes them feel better, then even better.
Old 15-05-2021, 11:33   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline452 View Post
Then, respectfully, please stay on your side of the border.

I already had the "deadly" virus, so I'm not the problem, sounds like you may be the problem. Please stay on the North side, and be very afraid
Old 15-05-2021, 11:39   #27

Quote:
I like the two of three rule: Any two of: outdoors, wear a mask, and social distance. You don't have to wear a mask if you are outdoors and social distancing. You should wear a mask indoors. You shoul wear a mask outdoors if you can't social distance.

I just don't understand anti-vaxers - and I know a few of them. Covid-19 has killed hundreds of thousands. The vaccines are knocking it down. Look at the plummeting case numbers in the US where most people are getting vaccinated. If we can get 80%+ of the population vaccinated we can kill this disease. But if we can't, it will become endemic: controllable, but always there, like the flu.

I had the vaccine the first day it was available to my age group. Those new micro-needles they are using now are like acupuncture needles: you don't even feel them going in. I was a little tired the next day but other than that, no side effects.

We knocked out smallpox and polio with vaccines. We controlled mumps, whooping cough, diptheria, measles and a host of other diseases. What's the big objection this time?

I expect there may be a few Darwin awards given out.
Old 15-05-2021, 11:40   #28

Quote:
I already had the "deadly" virus, so I'm not the problem, sounds like you may be the problem. Please stay on the North side, and be very afraid
Since you've aimed this at me, I'll reply. Of what should I be very afraid?
Old 15-05-2021, 11:41   #29

Quote:
There you have it!!
Selfish! IMHO

Yeah, that's why the "public" is "locked down". Who is locked down? Please think for yourself. I really don't mean to be mean....but holy cow, the blissful ignorance is insane. By now most people have had "the covid" whether they felt it or not, so this nonsense is just that. You'll be fine. Relax, go for a walk outside, and get some sunshine and vitamin D. The regulations are government created, illogical nonsense. Do you really think that a sailboat cruising from Seattle to Alaska is going to spread covid? Really? Are people dropping like flies from this thing? Again, I had covid worse than anyone I've ever talked to, met, or know....it sucked, but that's it. You are far more likely to spread covid than me. Just stay at home and be very afraid of your neighbor....he's the boggieman!
Old 15-05-2021, 11:41   #30
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
There you have it!!
Selfish! IMHO
Plus one.

Tags
Canada, men