Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2022, 06:57   #106

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Canadian COVID part-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
96% in Newfoundland: Amazing!
Yes, it's amazing what trust in your neighbours will do. Newfoundlanders, perhaps more than any other group of Canadians, have long understood that they need each other to survive and thrive. They have a high level of trust in each other. That's really the root of the famous Newfoundlander generosity.

I've said from the outset of this pandemic, that societies that can act collectively will do better than those who can't, or won't. There's growing research now to show this is exactly what has happened around the world.

But in more pressing news on the Newfoundland front, that province has just lowered their alert level to stage 3, improving from stage 4. So like all provinces, things are on track for further openings and reduced restrictions. Hopefully by the late spring it will all be a bad memory.
Old 08-02-2022, 07:02   #107
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
96% in Newfoundland: Amazing!

Given its significant Irish settlement origins , the number is very similar to Ireland.

….!!!
Old 08-02-2022, 08:04   #108

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Mike, I'm confused why you can't go to NFL. An American friend drove across the border, and on to NFL in late December. I know he had to be vaccinated, he had to take tests, had to quarantine; beyond that I didn't get into more details. But the fact is he did it, legally.

Did he find a loophole? He's not the type to explore minutiae looking for a loophole, so I doubt it.

Did he comply with federal/ Ontario law, and once in country overlook any QBC or NFL laws? If he did, he did so accidentally, I know he spent a lot of prep time doing due diligence.
Old 08-02-2022, 09:42   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
Mike, I'm confused why you can't go to NFL. An American friend drove across the border, and on to NFL in late December. I know he had to be vaccinated, he had to take tests, had to quarantine; beyond that I didn't get into more details. But the fact is he did it, legally.

Did he find a loophole? He's not the type to explore minutiae looking for a loophole, so I doubt it.

Did he comply with federal/ Ontario law, and once in country overlook any QBC or NFL laws? If he did, he did so accidentally, I know he spent a lot of prep time doing due diligence.
Sorry for the confusion. I've been able to go to NL since July 1, although there's been various levels of PITA hoops to jump through. But by then it was really too late in the season to think about launching. So we made other plans.

I can't launch, or even hope to live on it, till things warm up now, so I can't really go now. As a frugal (i.e. poor) cruiser, I can't afford to shack up in a motel for months at a time, so the next realistic opportunity will be in later spring, once it's warmed up enough.
Old 08-02-2022, 10:28   #110

This is not encouraging.
https://dailyexpose.uk/2022/02/06/canadas-pandemic-of-the-fully-vaccinated/
Old 08-02-2022, 10:33   #111

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Sorry for the confusion. I've been able to go to NL since July 1, although there's been various levels of PITA hoops to jump through. But by then it was really too late in the season to think about launching. So we made other plans.

I can't launch, or even hope to live on it, till things warm up now, so I can't really go now. As a frugal (i.e. poor) cruiser, I can't afford to shack up in a motel for months at a time, so the next realistic opportunity will be in later spring, once it's warmed up enough.
Ahah! That makes things clearer; and here I thought I might had found you a way there.

Don't worry, the boat is mostly fiberglass and metal. A little wax, a little brightwork, and some scrubbing and she'll be like new. Fret not. I see a lot of boats that sit uncovered through winter, and none died.

Of course, I should remind you that if you'd left the boat in Miami, or at least Toronto, the season would start sooner.

OK, so off topic. Many moons ago my then-wife's cousin and boyfriend came to visit from Germany. They were so insistent and excited to see Canada- you know, the moose and stuff. So across the lake we went, all 65 miles to Kingston, and were they PO! As in fuming that they'd been jilted. They thought it would be snowing (in July) as soon as we hit the border, since it was, well, you know, Canada. Serious.
Old 08-02-2022, 11:31   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoetheCobbler View Post

The fact that any publication would capitalize on the innumeracy of their readership is very discouraging.
Old 08-02-2022, 11:34   #113

Just chalk it up to the operating of "Gresham's Law of Journalism" :-)!

TP
Old 08-02-2022, 12:07   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoetheCobbler View Post
What a joke . This is the definition of "fake news." I could make further comments about this publication's understanding of grade 4 math, but why bother ...

Just to note, HERE is the "official Government of Canada data". There is no need to "investigate" it. It's all easily and publicly available.

Quote:
Cases reported since the start of the vaccination campaign, as of January 15, 2022

Since the start of the vaccination campaign on December 14, 2020, PHAC received case-level vaccine history data for 72.7% (n=1,458,433) of COVID-19 cases aged 12 years or older.
Of these cases:

• 771,095 (52.9%) were unvaccinated at the time of their episode date
  • 44,494 (3.1%) were not yet protected by the vaccine, as their episode date occurred less than 14 days after their first dose
  • 61,209 (4.2%) were only partially vaccinated, as their episode date occurred either 14 days or more after their first dose or less than 14 days after their second dose
  • 581,635 (39.9%) were fully vaccinated, as their episode date occurred 14 days or more after their second dose
As we just noted, the national vaccination rate is about 85% now (of those over 18). So ~60% of all cases are coming from ~15% of the population. Do we really need to explain this? -- again?
Old 08-02-2022, 13:12   #115

Boat: Sceptre 41

Someone needs a little education.... Perhaps someone needs something written along the lines of "Dick & Jane"....

Attachment 252644

For others:
https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/corona...ized-1.5770226
Old 08-02-2022, 16:57   #116

What the truck is going on in Canada?

"The whole world should be worried by the ‘siege of Ottawa’. This is about much more than a few anti-vaxx truckers"

Opinion by Arwa Mahdawi

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opini...?ocid=msedgntp

There’s a lot going on in the world right now. If you’re not Canadian, then the protest in Ottawa might not be top of your list of things to worry about. But I’m afraid you should be worried. You should certainly be paying attention. What’s unfolding in Ottawa is not a grassroots protest that has spontaneously erupted out of the frustration of local lorry drivers. Rather, it’s an astroturfed movement – one that creates an impression of widespread grassroots support where little exists –

. . .

The drama may be centred in Canada, but what is unfolding has repercussions for us all.

That’s a big claim, so let me break it down. We’ll start with the Canadian lorry drivers. The people protesting against vaccine mandates, it can’t be stressed enough, are by no means representative of the Canadian haulage industry as a whole. Just 10% of cross-border drivers refused the jabs, according to the Canadian Trucking Alliance (CTA), meaning that from 15 January they can no longer cross back into Canada without quarantine. The CTA, along with other major industry organisations, has disavowed the protest. The protesters don’t represent the vast majority of lorry drivers, nor are they representative of public sentiment towards vaccines in Canada – a country where 84% of the population, children included, have received at least one vaccine dose.

Old 08-02-2022, 18:53   #117

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

[QUOTE=Montanan;3570805]What the truck is going on in Canada?

"The whole world should be worried by the ‘siege of Ottawa’. This is about much more than a few anti-vaxx truckers"

Opinion by Arwa Mahdawi

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opini...?ocid=msedgntp

There’s a lot going on in the world right now. I

. . .

The drama may be centred in Canada, but what is unfolding has repercussions for us all.

========================================

Today was reading the news and saw the headlines, these two articles caught my eye.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ti-vaxx-canada

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ops-in-belarus

Also, the sudden love affair between Russia and China, a couple of days ago they announced a close cooperation and mutual interests ,kind of reminds me of the "close cooperation between Stalin and the Empire of Japan and Germany when the world was aflame, like around 1938?

One thing we humans know is to ignore history and past, that is why we can repeat the same mistakes again and again.

I do not know what all these events mean and I know will not be able to see the end of it, but just does not look good, truly worry about those that will have to deal with all this sh....t! sort of speak.

I do not like to dwell into the emergent fascist forces across the world, just looks scary.

And yes, it is a drama.

sayonara
Old 08-02-2022, 18:59   #118

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

ooops!!!
forgot

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...vladimir-putin
Old 09-02-2022, 06:49   #119

Not that this is a surprise to anyone, but:

(G&M): Transmissibility of Omicron led to much higher death totals than past wave, research shows

Quote:
People infected with the Omicron variant of SARS-CoV-2 are less likely to die or experience severe outcomes compared with those infected with the Delta variant, emerging research shows.

However, the variant’s hypertransmissibility has led to daily death numbers that have eclipsedthose of the previous wave, and a record number of hospitalizations, with Canada’s older population still at highest risk.
Old 09-02-2022, 06:53   #120
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Despite pandemic, Canada's population grows at fastest rate in G7: census

Despite the pandemic, Canada remains the fastest-growing country in the G7, due, in large part, to immigration, according to newly released 2021 census data. [1]
The newly released census numbers put Canada's population at 36,991,981 in the spring of last year. There are approximately 1.8 million more people living in Canada, than there were five years ago.
Yukon's population grew at the fastest pace nationally, with a growth rate of 12.1 per cent.
Newfoundland and Labrador was the only province to see its population decline, from 2016 to 2021, falling by 1.8 per cent.
The province with the fastest growth rate was Prince Edward Island, which grew at a rate of 8 per cent.
More about ➥ https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cen...ties-1.6344179

[1] Census of Population [February 9, 2022] ➥ https://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-r.../index-eng.cfm