Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2022, 17:32   #76

Boat: Sundowner Tug 30
Re: Canadian COVID part-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by N Coast Murray View Post
This has nothing to do with politics, just a demonstration how Canada has faired compared to other countries.

The following list is how many deaths Canada (with a population of 38 million) would have using the Covid deaths per million number from several other countries.

Canada.........893 deaths per million...there have been 34,170 deaths in Canada.

New Zealand...11 deaths per million...would result in 651 deaths in Canada.

Denmark.......651 deaths per million...would result in 24,738 deaths in Canada.

USA...........2,740 deaths per million...would result in 104,120 deaths in Canada.

Peru...........6,112 deaths per million...would result in 232,256 deaths in Canada.

Obviously mandates, restrictions, and vaccinations work, and should get Canada back to 'normal boating' sooner.

Numbers derived from here: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
oops...can't edit post...should have been:

New Zealand...11 deaths per million...would result in 418 deaths in Canada.

D'oh!
Old 03-02-2022, 01:02   #77
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
Here in Alberta, Kenney is still trying to appease his base by alluding to the end of February as "the end of Covid." ...
Will Omicron end the pandemic?
Here’s what experts say.
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3567190

Old 03-02-2022, 03:48   #78
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

COVID’s lesson for governments? Don’t cherry-pick advice, synthesize it
Too many national leaders get good guidance yet make poor decisions.
For some of the nations that have fared the worst in the COVID-19 pandemic, there’s a striking imbalance between the scientific advice available, and the capacity to make sense of it, writes public-policy researcher Geoff Mulgan, who ran the UK Government’s Strategy Unit in the early 2000s. He argues that part of the problem has been a failure of synthesis — the ability to combine insights and transcend disciplinary boundaries.
More ➥ https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-022-00212-5

Old 03-02-2022, 05:28   #79

Boat: J/88

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
COVID’s lesson for governments? Don’t cherry-pick advice, synthesize it
Too many national leaders get good guidance yet make poor decisions.
For some of the nations that have fared the worst in the COVID-19 pandemic, there’s a striking imbalance between the scientific advice available, and the capacity to make sense of it, writes public-policy researcher Geoff Mulgan, who ran the UK Government’s Strategy Unit in the early 2000s. He argues that part of the problem has been a failure of synthesis — the ability to combine insights and transcend disciplinary boundaries.
More ➥ https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-022-00212-5
If Covid has taught us anything it should be that society will respond in a largely responsible way to protect its interests. My life experience shows this to be predominately selfish and some others here believe it is altruistic, but ultimately we did the things we believed were right.

Synthesizing the data from Covid was difficult for anyone given the dynamic nature of our understanding of the virus itself and subsequently the way it changed. Perhaps if the data were presented differently we might have supported other responses, but I can assure you there will be much criticism of what we did as the bills come due.

In my view, there was no real hunger for any data that did not support vaccination and lockdowns as the best solution, after all it is the most sensible path out of this. The only reasonably significant alternative discussion came from the anti-vax camps which has served to stifle any real discussion of risk data as a result of our polarization.

We could discuss the influence of our politicians but as always they did their best to walk the most sensible line while protecting their legacies.
Old 03-02-2022, 06:26   #80

Boat: Rafiki 37

On Canadian boating news that's relevant (to me, anyway ), Newfoundland is hinting that it will be reducing barriers to travel soon .

Newfoundland has the highest vaccination rate in the country, although unfortunately, hospitalizations rates are still edging up right now.

https://newsinteractives.cbc.ca/coronavirustracker/
Old 03-02-2022, 09:05   #81

Boat: Sceptre 41

Large majorities of Canadians continue to support vaccine passports, mask mandates

https://www.timescolonist.com/opinio...ndates-5016176

At the start of 2022, the numbers do not buttress the narrative of a divided country that has been pushed relentlessly by the loudest of complainers. We continue to see 85% of Canadians referring to COVID-19 as “a real threat,” and a similar proportion (84%, up one point) voicing support for requiring all customers or visitors entering an indoor premise to wear a mask or face covering while inside. In addition, more than seven in 10 Canadians (72%, down four points) are wearing a mask every time they go out.
The concept of “vaccine passports” – allegedly the detonator for a protest that reached Ottawa this past weekend and that somehow combined the worst elements of the Occupy Movement and the Tea Party – is still endorsed by significant majorities of Canadians. More than three in five are in favour of the certificates for travel to other countries (70%, down three points), to other provinces (68%, down three points) and within the same province (62%, down two points).
In addition, practically two-thirds of Canadians continue to believe that “vaccine passports” are a good idea for people who want to go to live sporting events (69%, down two points), visit gyms or fitness facilities (68%, down three points), go to live concerts (also 68%, down three points), attend the cinema or theater (67% down five points) or work at an office (65%, down three points). Support may be lower than it was in December, but certainly not at a level that would suggest Canadians are ready to carry on as if the pandemic had never arrived.
Old 03-02-2022, 17:46   #82

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III
Canadian COVID part-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
In terms of what to expect, an article in today's NYT discussed the subject. Here's a link: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/31/o...demic-end.html. It is an opinion piece.

A difference no one seems to comment on, but which I think changes things is that we are inundated with information these days, we share it, and we are far more aware of how this pandemic is affecting people all over our world. Fwiw, my sense is that this increases fears, generally. And one affect of that is that some people delay needed medical procedures, especially if the procedure is distasteful in some way. This is not a staffing problem, it is from too much fear around, and that many are not able to self-soothe the same ways as they were used to.

Ann

IMHO correction
We are inundated with messages. I believe information is the wrong or poorer word choice.

The s/n ratio is pretty bad in a large part imho

For that reason I’ve blocked a couple of individuals that normally I would have let pass by

I’m not in Canada but Wisconsin is close and I consider our season to be short so I feel for those even farther north
Old 03-02-2022, 19:50   #83

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post

I’m not in Canada but Wisconsin is close and I consider our season to be short so I feel for those even farther north
When we living on our boat in NYC we had a conversation with American friends about which parts of the US Canada would take in when the US inevitably broke up (and this was long before Trump). Some were easy in both directions (Hawaii and Texas). Wisconsin was on the list of states needing further study. Minnesota was in, although we might change the name to South Manitoba, the question was how MN-like Wisconsin was. The topic was brought up by one of the Americans and was aided by the consumption of more than a little wine.
Old 04-02-2022, 12:58   #84

Boat: Tayana 42, sloop, 42

I am surprised that some of our subscribers are suggesting banning others opinions and information after 'someone monitoring posts' as messages on this sight to be banned. We as boaters are not gestapo Police so rather than controlling members, give them advice. Opinions and information may be offensive to others that don't either believe them or have other issues, but to others are acceptable. This is the reason we have to speak freely. Of course it should be related to boaters and marine subjects. Sometime this overlaps on subjects like health and safety such as Covid restrictions, which makes life more difficult but necessary. Such as it is, we cannot change the restrictions nor complain about them in this forum. Subject these comments to banning or restrictions on this sight by someone is controlling freedom of speach in many ways. Keep your comments to marine life so that we don't infringe on others.
Old 04-02-2022, 18:15   #85

Uh... what?
Old 05-02-2022, 15:07   #86

Boat: 1983 Shannon 28

A heart warming short essay by an Ottawa resident on the truckers protest convoy. This is the Canada I know.

https://maybury.ca/the-reformed-phys...-untouchables/
Old 05-02-2022, 16:05   #87

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Odd perspective, hmm. We all agree that Canada is one of our favorite states. Isn’t the 50th star on the US flag representing Canada?

:-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
When we living on our boat in NYC we had a conversation with American friends about which parts of the US Canada would take in when the US inevitably broke up (and this was long before Trump). Some were easy in both directions (Hawaii and Texas). Wisconsin was on the list of states needing further study. Minnesota was in, although we might change the name to South Manitoba, the question was how MN-like Wisconsin was. The topic was brought up by one of the Americans and was aided by the consumption of more than a little wine.
Old 05-02-2022, 16:26   #88

Boat: Sundowner Tug 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
Odd perspective, hmm. We all agree that Canada is one of our favorite states. Isn’t the 50th star on the US flag representing Canada?

:-)
No thanks!!!!
Old 05-02-2022, 16:44   #89

Montana Canada perhaps.

Sometimes when I am traveling in the States and they ask where I am from, and I say Montana, occasionally they say that's Canada right.

Hard to learn where and what all the fifty states are. But I do recall having to memorize what the capital city was of each State as a child.

Will be interesting to see if Puerto Rico or the District of Columbia ever become a State.

Hey, would y'all get the truckers to quit with the closure of the border already. Made a traffic jam for several miles and wasting a lot of long-haul time. I would think that the grocery store shelves and produce might be getting kind of bare up north.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	montana canada.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	252453  
Old 06-02-2022, 07:54   #90

Globe & Mail: Trucker convoy demonstrations spread across Canada as counter-protests call for an end to disruptions

Quote:
Protests that started in Ottawa last week have spread to major cities across Canada this weekend, as demonstrators call for an end to pandemic restrictions and say they’re ready tocontinue blocking streets for weeks or even months until their demands are met.

On Saturday, many of the demonstrations were met with direct opposition. Counter-protesters in Ottawa called for an end to protest-related disruptions to daily life in the city’s core, including road closures and frequent blasts from truck horns. In Toronto, counter-protesters said they wanted to protect the well-being of health care workers.

The demonstration in Ottawa, which Ontario Premier Doug Ford has called an “occupation,” began as a trucker rally against vaccine mandates for cross-border delivery drivers, but has expanded into a more general protest against COVID-19 prevention measures.
And for a broader discussion (The Conversation):
Majority of Canadians disagree with ‘freedom convoy’ on vaccine mandates and lockdowns