Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2022, 05:13   #1

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Canadian COVID part-2

Just like the title says.
Old 31-01-2022, 05:20   #2

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41
Re: Canadian COVID part-2

On that note... Ontario is relaxing restrictions today.

https://www.cp24.com/news/restaurant...ease-1.5760996
Old 31-01-2022, 05:42   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

As Ontario, Quebec loosen COVID restrictions, here's what's open [& restricted] across the country:

British Columbia: Measures in place were last updated Jan. 28.
Alberta: Current measures have been in place since Dec. 24, 2021.
Saskatchewan: The province has few restrictions, but these measures around masking and vaccination will be in place until at least Feb. 28.
Manitoba: Current measures are in place until at least Feb. 8.
Ontario: Several changes to restrictions came into effect Monday.
Quebec: Measures imposed in December were loosened as of Monday.
Newfoundland and Labrador: The province remains at Alert Level 4.
Nova Scotia: Measures will remain in place until at least Feb. 14.
New Brunswick: The province moved to Level 2 of its alert system on Jan 28.
Prince Edward Island: Measures in place were loosened as of Monday.
Northwest Territories: Modified its restrictions effective Jan. 30.
Yukon: Temporary measures were put in place Jan. 18.
Nunavut: Measures put in place Jan. 25 apply to all regions, except Igloolik, which recently re-entered lockdown.

Much more ➥ https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/covid...tory-1.6328805

Old 31-01-2022, 06:46   #4

Boat: Rafiki 37

Certainly the one dominate story from my neck of the woods is:

(CBC): Ottawa mayor would like protesters to move on, but organizers say they're not going anywhere

Quote:
The mayor of Ottawa says many residents have reached a boiling point over the rowdy protests against COVID-19 vaccine mandates and public health restrictions, and he wants demonstrators to let the city return to normal. But organizers say they're willing to stay in the capital for months until their demands are met.
Being in Ottawa right now I can tell you people are either locked out of the downtown, or locked in. Friends of friends who live in the downtown report being harassed by protesters, and being completely unable to sleep for two nights now.
Old 31-01-2022, 07:29   #5

Boat: Sundowner Tug 30

Thank you to the Mod's for giving this thread another chance. There was a lot of good information shared in the last one before it got derailed by agent provocateurs.

Speaking of which, what say we have a bylaw of sorts where if someone isn't interested in reasoned debate, but instead provokes endless arguments without links to evidence supporting their claims, gets put on ignore from the group. Maybe a three strikes you are out policy?
Old 31-01-2022, 07:34   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by N Coast Murray View Post
Thank you to the Mod's for giving this thread another chance. There was a lot of good information shared in the last one before it got derailed by agent provocateurs.

Speaking of which, what say we have a bylaw of sorts where if someone isn't interested in reasoned debate, but instead provokes endless arguments without links to evidence supporting their claims, gets put on ignore from the group. Maybe a three strikes you are out policy?
We already have such a rule:
"Trolling and cyberstalking are NOT allowed and are grounds for account restriction or banishment. Trolling on this board includes posting controversial and often irrelevant or off-topic messages with the intention of (or anticipated result of) baiting other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal, harmonious on-topic discussion, especially when a pattern of such posting is apparent."

Old 31-01-2022, 08:11   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
We already have such a rule:
"Trolling and cyberstalking are NOT allowed and are grounds for account restriction or banishment. Trolling on this board includes posting controversial and often irrelevant or off-topic messages with the intention of (or anticipated result of) baiting other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal, harmonious on-topic discussion, especially when a pattern of such posting is apparent."
Good point, but that did little to save the last thread.

What I'm suggesting is that we cut off the oxygen supply to trolls and put them on ignore after giving a few chances to substantiate their claims, engage in reasoned debate, or get back on topic.

They should tire, bore easily, and go elsewhere if nobody responds.
Old 31-01-2022, 08:39   #8

Quote:

What I'm suggesting is that we cut off the oxygen supply to trolls and put them on ignore after giving a few chances to substantiate their claims, engage in reasoned debate, or get back on topic.

On most sites, calling other people trolls because you disagree with them is considered trolling.

So maybe let's start this thread by not doing that.

Maybe focus on things that affect cruisers. Closures, openings, trends, that sort of thing, as this was the original intent of the thread.
Old 31-01-2022, 09:06   #9

Quote:

Yes, let's all try and do this better than the last one. It's a strategy many of us recommend, although I'm the first to admit I fall off the wagon occasionally. Of course, that is the intent of some of these provocateurs.

I suggest we remember that when the inevitable flood of antis show up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
On most sites, calling other people trolls because you disagree with them is considered trolling.

So maybe let's start this thread by not doing that.

Maybe focus on things that affect cruisers FROM THE CANADIAN CONTEXT. Closures, openings, trends, that sort of thing, as this was the original intent of the thread.
I'm sure you meant this, but just in case it's unclear... This is a space to talk about Covid-19 news as it pertains to CANADIAN cruising. This is not a space for general Covid-19 discussion, or a place to perpetually re-litigate false claims and to make misleading statements. There are other threads for that.

If we can all stick to news that impacts Canadian cruising, we'll keep the Mods happy.

A troll is not someone who disagrees with a proposition. It is someone who, as stated in the rules: "posts controversial and often irrelevant or off-topic messages with the intention of (or anticipated result of) baiting other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal, harmonious on-topic discussion, especially when a pattern of such posting is apparent."
Old 31-01-2022, 10:04   #10

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

couple of disclaimers
first: is not specifically "Canadian" as I live in the USA, however the universal nature of the article has no international boundaries.
second:normally do not post on coronavirus issues as tend to avoid the never ending of arguing and fighting the "last battle", do not plan to argue the value of this article.

This article needs to be read on its entirety, link provided.
https://www.statnews.com/2022/01/28/...g-chemo-brain/

the following are just excerpts that may or not justify your time to read the article.

this is a long scientific paper that addresses the issue of "long covirus" and why the common mistake been assumed if vaccinated is only a "mild" inconvenience.

I hope it will help to understand and balance your needs and what is more important for your lifestyle.
=====================================
The following excerpt that attempts to encapsulate the basis of this long paper.

"As Monje set out to analyze chemo brain and long Covid brain fog, her starting point was neuroinflammation and the cognitive impairment it causes. Cancer therapies can lead to persistent activation of microglia, which normally help in brain development and later in maintaining brain health. But these cells can go into overdrive in disease, particularly an immunogenic one like Covid-19, known for sparking cytokine release syndrome and other kinds of inflammatory dysregulation.
“I worried back in the spring of 2020 that we would perhaps see a syndrome very similar to what we see after cancer therapy, that we might start to see a cognitive syndrome characterized by things like impairment in memory, executive function, attention, speed of information processing, multitasking,” Monje told STAT. “And then, you know, within months, reports of exactly that sort of complaint started to emerge.”

It was clear then that severe Covid could harm the brain, causing strokes or in rare cases direct viral infection. But what she wanted to understand was how milder infection and inflammation elsewhere in the body might affect the brain in ways similar to cancer chemotherapy targeting tumors throughout the body.
Old 31-01-2022, 10:24   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
On most sites, calling other people trolls because you disagree with them is considered trolling...
Quote:
...Speaking of which, what say we have a bylaw of sorts where if someone isn't interested in reasoned debate, but instead provokes endless arguments without links to evidence supporting their claims...
I'm making it retroactive to the last thread

Done.
Old 31-01-2022, 12:57   #12

Canadian COVID part-2

Hmmn, second verse, same as the first, . . .

2022, starting as if it will be 2020, too.

Wishing a happy and healthy New Year.

Yeah, let's discuss more about boating under the limitations of Covid and less about the virus, and avoid anything to do with PolyTicks [many blood sucking parasites].

Boating is largely a social distancing activity, except for the close proximity of those one has onboard.

So how many months is it until boating season starts in earnest at various Provinces of Canada?

Ground Hog Day is just a couple of days away, not that Spring is anywhere near here in The Last Best Place.

Montana boating season is late May, until early September, basically our Memorial Day weekend to our Labor Day weekend. The four seasons being June, July, August and Winter.

If I desire to sail in our winter I have to head far south, preferably to tropical climates.

All the best.

Dan
Old 31-01-2022, 13:37   #13

Confirmation of what we already know.

The risk of developing severe COVID-19 for people who are fully vaccinated and have received a booster dose is close to zero, according to the latest data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, further bolstering the case for unvaccinated people to get their shots. Results from a study released Friday to the CDC’s website compare COVID incidence and death rates among unvaccinated adults and vaccinated adults, both with and without a booster dose, during waves of delta- and omicron-related cases from April 4 to Dec. 25, 2021, and demonstrate just how much protection boosters offer.

“During October–November, unvaccinated persons had 13.9 and 53.2 times the risks for infection and COVID-19–associated death, respectively, compared with fully vaccinated persons who received booster doses, and 4.0 and 12.7 times the risks compared with fully vaccinated persons without booster doses,” the authors of the study wrote. The highest impact from boosters was measured among people aged 50 to 64 and above 65 years old. “Eligible persons should stay up to date with COVID-19 vaccinations,” AND GET BOOSTED and then go out and live life fully, all the while aiding in protecting those that are not fully vaccinated and boosted by social distancing and masking to minimize potential exposure and transmission to those that are most vulnerable to infection / reinfection / disease / death.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/71/...236f792526f0c4

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/cd...?siteid=yhoof2
Old 31-01-2022, 14:18   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Yeah, let's discuss more about boating under the limitations of Covid and less about the virus, and avoid anything to do with PolyTicks [many blood sucking parasites].
Indeed, let's try and do this. For example, I'm starting to actively monitor the state of Covid restrictions in Newfoundland (where my boat is). The province recently downgraded to their Level 4 (out of 5, with 5 being the worst) Covid restrictions. However travel to the province is still possible.

Fully vaxxed folks from outside the region need to self-isolate for up to five days. They must perform a rapid test every one of those days. After two consecutive negative (no-Covid) tests, you can leave isolation, but must still complete the battery of tests.

So still kinda a pita, but better than being completely barred. And hopefully this will change for the better by late Spring, which is the earliest I can consider returning.
Old 31-01-2022, 15:34   #15

Boat: Hunter 386

I don't really have anything to add I just thought I would post rather than subscribe. Typical lazy Canadian sailor.