Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 07-07-2020, 21:05   #76

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: CANADIAN COVID-19 NEWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Non-medical masks are now mandatory in public indoor spaces in Toronto
Same now goes for Ottawa and eastern Ontario in general.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...date-1.5636317

Not yet mandatory in northern Ontario where cases are few, but apparently being considered.
Old 08-07-2020, 11:30   #77

Boat: Lancer 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
OloteleMtn, please show your citation of sources for all these allegations.

Thank you.
Sorry, but i think that contributing further will only lead to strikes and harassment for contributing information that runs counter to the narrative being portrayed. The information is available in the public domain if one wishes to find it. Best of luck to everyone.
Old 08-07-2020, 11:50   #78

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Quote:
Originally Posted by OloteleMtn View Post
Sorry, but i think that contributing further will only lead to strikes and harassment for contributing information that runs counter to the narrative being portrayed. The information is available in the public domain if one wishes to find it. Best of luck to everyone.
It would take less typing to cite the authority backing up your statistics than it did typing this comment. I can only conclude you are unable or unwilling to refer us to the source. Best of luck to you.
Old 08-07-2020, 12:03   #79

Quote:

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. In your short time here on this forum I've seen you make a number of such claims and assertions, all the while providing scant real evidence. You've also found it necessary to insult people and generally behave poorly.

This is a community of people, most of whom behave reasonably civilly most of the time. Perhaps you should take a little time to get to know this place. This might help you connect more appropriately.
Old 08-07-2020, 12:19   #80

Quote:

And good luck to you also.

btw, no one here has ever received CF strikes or bans for honestly presenting ideas and opinions labelled as such, but links and references are expected for assertions that are contentious or dubious.

People get CF strikes or bans for trolling, being disrespectful, inflammatory or just plain a-holes. I should know... I may have had one or two stern reprimands in my time.
Old 08-07-2020, 13:09   #81
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Arggghhh! Well that is depressing and worrisome.

It has always been perceived to be a major challenge to derive immune response protection, based on research involving the other types of coronaviruses. E.g., there being that cold you just keep getting after your immune response wains rapidly.

The lack of cross variant protection of antibodies seems to imply the need for multiple targeted mutation specific vaccines, in addition to regular booster inoculations. There not enough syringes or vials to handle that kind of continuing volume.

Well time and community spread will provide evidence whether persons can be reinfected after having been infected and whether there is cross protection against the various mutant strains afforded from either vaccination or by infection to one mutant strain. This disease is too dangerous to intentionally expose volunteers to such reexposure or new mutant exposures, so one has to just let nature work its course and a large experimental population of tested individuals.

more here on immunity from a small chinese and very large spanish study.
conclusion was gaining herd immunity would be very costly in lives,and also unlikely in the short term as an effective resource to combat the virus.

Old 08-07-2020, 14:14   #82
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
An important point here is that this animousity is not aimed at Americans. There are plenty of examples of folks from one community or province telling visitors from other provinces to "Go Home!" So this isn't just about those Americans. But sadly, the USA increasingly appears to be an outlier in its response to this pandemic.

I said early on that one of the factors that could affect the development of this disease is social trust/cohesion, and the ability of individuals to act for the collective good. Some countries and societies score higher on these traits than others. I think we're seeing this reflected in some of the international case numbers.
Agree, we are all being influenced by contrary advice
Some follow caution, others see the virus as an enemy to be confronted.

In the US, some powerful influencers promote the latter

https://youtu.be/V83hrRvtdg4
Old 08-07-2020, 17:30   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post

Yeah, I'm kind of torn by that video. I usually am amused by Bill Mahar and he's certainly entertaining... and i do think the world has to find a new normal, a way to get on with life WHILE preventing as much harm as possible from the coronavirus.

At the same time, just telling the young to be cannon-fodder in a global pandemic war... I'd want to know a lot more first: is herd immunity actually possible within a reasonable time-frame, and without significant health impact? We need to know more about how COVID-19 is or could affect the young, as well as the elevated risk it would pose to those of us more vulnerable from age or preexisting conditions. We debate the CFR and IFR endlessly, but I haven't seen numbers for those who recovered but have lasting effects.

I would dearly love to see these topics discussed at a national and international level WITHOUT political baggage. The US turning their back on WHO pretty much kills any hope of that.

At the end of the day, we have to get to a point where either it's run through most of us, or we have the tools like vaccines to manage it. Do we get there cautiously, or do we just let'er rip?

The US seems blasé about their infection and death toll so far. Maybe let'er rip is politically acceptable there, despite the cost, if it gets their economy back up faster...?
Old 08-07-2020, 20:12   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post

So, just by Mahar's argument, and using his examples, the kids of the Greatest Generation should have said "thanks, but no thanks. This is my time. This war doesn't affect me, so you oldies go fight the WWI."

I used to really like Mahar, but he's lost me in the last couple of years.
Old 08-07-2020, 20:51   #85
cruiser

Boat: 1963 Pearson Ariel, Hull 75

I'm very sorry folks but, things are likely to get much more restrictive:

WHO confirms there's 'emerging evidence' of airborne transmission of coronavirus

To quote the scariest line from the movie Outbreak.... "It's airborne."

(If the link doesn't auto-play, click the link in the top of the player box.)

For myself. I'm using a 3M 7500 respirator and 60926 filters (P-100, 2.5 microns). There were plenty of those available just three days ago. They may be all gone now that the word is out.
Old 08-07-2020, 22:40   #86
cruiser

The movie scene I linked above does a decent job of explaining what "airborne" means. Aerosolized droplets can float in the air for hours and hitch a ride on dust particles traveling long distances.

This situation is far worse than the "six foot (two meter) spread" we've been told to guard against.

Considering the WHO's reluctance to warn of this possibility, prompting hundreds of scientists to have to effectively petition the WHO to force them to pay attention -- I can understand the US administration's frustration with that organization. And I'm not apt to ever agree with our current national leadership, but on this point, I have to. WHO dropped the ball repeatedly. The WHO has been almost worse than useless.

Here's an interview that explains more: https://www.npr.org/2020/07/06/88792...-the-coronavir
Old 09-07-2020, 00:21   #87
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
And good luck to you also.

btw, no one here has ever received CF strikes or bans for honestly presenting ideas and opinions labelled as such, but links and references are expected for assertions that are contentious or dubious.

People get CF strikes or bans for trolling, being disrespectful, inflammatory or just plain a-holes. I should know... I may have had one or two stern reprimands in my time.
https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1248214342618628096

Old 09-07-2020, 01:12   #88
cruiser

Quote:
I agree with you. Tread lightly my friends. Sensitivities are turned up to maximum, and you can't tell where the politically-correct landmines are buried.
Old 09-07-2020, 06:20   #89

We have been very lucky in Nova Scotia. We have a great Premier and a Health Department that understands the hard and unpopular decisions that need to be made for the public good. Starting back in April, when it seemed like the end of the world, the Premier and Dr Strang came to Nova Scotian's daily with info and encouragement that we would weather this virus. We all listened to their directions as a province. As the maritime provinces, we have done well with beating the curve. Some might say we have killed the curve but last week, one person ruined our 3 weeks no new cases by not self isolating. NS ended up with 3 new cases and PEI has 5 after 2 months with no cases all from 1 person not listening and self isolating.

The very best, our "fight song" was stated by our Premier....https://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/n-s-prem...thes-1.4884584. This spurred clothing, mugs, even a rap, maybe it's the new provincial song. hahaha

WE all heard it that day and I remember saying to my wife, "...he sounds just like my dad..." We all call him dad, he and his team with the people have protected our province well. We are well and proud of it.

Canadians are a welcoming and happy people, but in this difficult time things are changed. So if some people who don't want to follow our rules, what we have done to keep us safe and hopefully defeat this virus, in this province and country then they should just keep on sailing. It's a very different and difficult time for everyone!!
Old 09-07-2020, 13:04   #90

Choice of being a part of the solution or part of the problem.

Dr. Fauci's comments are eloquent in their reasoning. Three and a half minute video linked below.

https://www.facebook.com/NowThisElec...5520661856114/