Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 02-04-2020, 04:46   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Canadian COVID-19 News

Tracking the Coronavirus Cases in Canada
https://newsinteractives.cbc.ca/coronavirustracker/

Old 02-04-2020, 04:48   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: CANADIAN COVID-19 NEWS

Ontario Premier Doug Ford: 'A surge is coming'
"Right now, today, there is very little separating what we will face here in Ontario from the devastation we have seen in Italy and Spain," Ford said. "We know a surge is coming."

Physical distancing critical as Ontario sees 426 new COVID-19 cases, 4 more deaths.
Wednesday's (April 1) new cases bring the provincial total to 2,392 (of which 145 are in intensive care units), including at least 37 deaths and 689 cases that are resolved, as of 4 p.m. ET Tuesday.
Morehttps://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...rder-1.5517172

Old 02-04-2020, 04:48   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thunder Bay won't host evacuees from northern communities this year
It's common for northwestern Ontario cities, like Thunder Bay, to host people from northern communities, who are forced to leave their homes because of things like forest fires or flooding. However, that won't be happening this year. The City of Thunder Bay hosted about 1,000 evacuees from Pikangikum First Nation last summer, after they were forced to leave their homes due to forest fires. The city has told the province it will not host any evacuees from northern communities this year, due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/thund...uees-1.5517911

Old 02-04-2020, 04:50   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Canada and the U.S. are implementing the non-essential travel ban in very different ways
“... An agreement to stem non-essential travel between Canada and the United States is being interpreted and applied very differently by the two countries
... That means, for example, that a Canadian who isn't showing symptoms of COVID-19 could be allowed to fly or sail to the United States...
... While Canada has banned all non-essential travel, regardless of the mode of transportation, the United States is only banning non-essential travel across the border at land crossings and by ferry.
However, an American trying to enter Canada for non-essential travel would be refused, say officials with the Canada Border Services Agency.
"We can't speak for the U.S., unfortunately," wrote CBSA spokeswoman Ashley Lemire. "For those trying to enter Canada, the restrictions for non-essential travel applies to ALL modes of travel." ...
Morehttps://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cov...rder-1.5518191

Old 02-04-2020, 09:14   #5

Boat: Fountaine Pajot / Venezia 42

Somme official web sites:
Worldwide situation through John Hopkins University CSSE website
Old 02-04-2020, 09:51   #6

And, in general:

https://www.cbc.ca/news
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 04-04-2020, 01:16   #7

Boat: Dufour35 1982 and Moody 425

I've just arrived back from the Sea of Cortez, by plane, completing my 14 days isolation tomorrow in a very small West Coast of Vancouver Island village of Bamfield.

Yesterday from my window watched a Sailboat come across the sound.

We are a village of 40 at this time of year. nursing station no ventilators in about 100km Most of us are well into the "get the virus and die age group".

So my attitude to anyone looking for Good old Canadian Hospitality is

STAY THE HELL AWAY.

This is serious stuff. I don't want to die, just yet.

We where in the Sea having a great cruise, the weather changed and we had a sailing wind into La Paz so we went to resupply and head off again. About 12 miles out of La Paz we got wifi signal. My phone started going nuts, my grown kids in Canada, telling me to get home. We had no idea that the world had changed maybe for ever.

La Paz is an expensive cruising destination and well within the hurricane zone. We had no intention of leaving the boat there. At first I was all for restocking and heading up the sea into the islands and northern ports and harbours. To tell you the truth I was winded. No time to think, my logic board was not programmed to comprehend what had happened.

All options disappeared within 24 hours. Central America closed its ports as did most of the Pacific islands. Also the Mexican ports where and are considering closing their ports to cruising sailboats. I did as was instructed by my kids, after nearly failing to find space paid mega dollars to haul and dry store the boat and after flight cancelation managed to get one of the last tickets on the last plane out of the Baja back to Canada.

In our brief stay we encountered many Yachty types mostly anchored off La Paz. Most elected to wait and see, others the door had already slammed shut.

As America starts to face an awful fate for its denial of what this virus can do, Mexico with little financial resources and only basic medical protection is going to be decimated. We wore masks , gloves, used wipes etc changed and bagged our clothing twice sat outside the airport for 8 hours until the flight was due to leave as we tried to get home Frankly even though much of Canada had closed down, the attitude of lets go to the park, beach or go Sailing is still here.

So please take this personaly: SOD OFF FROM BAMFIELD YOU ARE NOT WELCOME

Sailing cruisers are really nice people on the whole. nationality, colour, religion and most politics does not matter. But this disease knows no boundaries. Please as the cruising season gets close just remember what you could be bringing to the ports and friends you meet on the way.

PS I am thinking about crowd funding to pay for my boat storage in La Paz. $1400 to haul out!!!!
Old 04-04-2020, 01:34   #8

Boat: Outbound 44

Cruisers not welcome by BC community.
[QUOTE] People might think we being ********, closing everything down, turning people away, but man, that’s just what has to be done right now,” explains William Housty, a board member for the Heiltsuk Integrated Resource Management [/URL]
https://thenarwhal.ca/heiltsuk-first...EvhjIl9WmkSk60
Old 04-04-2020, 04:02   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthPacific View Post
I've just arrived back from the Sea of Cortez, by plane, completing my 14 days isolation tomorrow in a very small West Coast of Vancouver Island village of Bamfield.

Yesterday from my window watched a Sailboat come across the sound.

We are a village of 40 at this time of year. nursing station no ventilators in about 100km Most of us are well into the "get the virus and die age group".

So my attitude to anyone looking for Good old Canadian Hospitality is

STAY THE HELL AWAY.

This is serious stuff. I don't want to die, just yet.

We where in the Sea having a great cruise, the weather changed and we had a sailing wind into La Paz so we went to resupply and head off again. About 12 miles out of La Paz we got wifi signal. My phone started going nuts, my grown kids in Canada, telling me to get home. We had no idea that the world had changed maybe for ever.

La Paz is an expensive cruising destination and well within the hurricane zone. We had no intention of leaving the boat there. At first I was all for restocking and heading up the sea into the islands and northern ports and harbours. To tell you the truth I was winded. No time to think, my logic board was not programmed to comprehend what had happened.

All options disappeared within 24 hours. Central America closed its ports as did most of the Pacific islands. Also the Mexican ports where and are considering closing their ports to cruising sailboats. I did as was instructed by my kids, after nearly failing to find space paid mega dollars to haul and dry store the boat and after flight cancelation managed to get one of the last tickets on the last plane out of the Baja back to Canada.

In our brief stay we encountered many Yachty types mostly anchored off La Paz. Most elected to wait and see, others the door had already slammed shut.

As America starts to face an awful fate for its denial of what this virus can do, Mexico with little financial resources and only basic medical protection is going to be decimated. We wore masks , gloves, used wipes etc changed and bagged our clothing twice sat outside the airport for 8 hours until the flight was due to leave as we tried to get home Frankly even though much of Canada had closed down, the attitude of lets go to the park, beach or go Sailing is still here.

So please take this personaly: SOD OFF FROM BAMFIELD YOU ARE NOT WELCOME

Sailing cruisers are really nice people on the whole. nationality, colour, religion and most politics does not matter. But this disease knows no boundaries. Please as the cruising season gets close just remember what you could be bringing to the ports and friends you meet on the way.

PS I am thinking about crowd funding to pay for my boat storage in La Paz. $1400 to haul out!!!!
Thanks for sharing! Glad you got home.

Old 04-04-2020, 04:25   #10

Boat: C+C Landfall 38

I find it interesting that we need / choose to have yet another forum thread in Covid-19. I guess the barrage of “ news” in the general mainstream media isn’t enough? What happened to all the OTHER news stories before this pandemic? Do accidents happen anymore? Is suicide, the opioid crises, ISIS, Yemen, a thing still? One could argue that I could choose not to click on the link , or I could just ...put my phone down and walk away, but like a train wreck I want to look away, but I can’t! The thing is, the same news stories are continually being recycled , but with different headings... headings with more tragedy and more dire warnings. We get it. It’s bad. People die. But... people are also living, recovering and living to tell the tale. And here on the cruisersforum we also need to talk about it... perhaps to relieve our anxiety? Calm the fear? Does talking about it help or hinder ? I don’t know... but I do see that generally the population is being divided into categories: the fear mongers, the doomsdayers, the wait and see-ers, the panickers, the skeptics ( who will do what they are told because they are good citizens) and the rebels- who do whatever the hell they want.
Why is it that this is all we want to talk about? What information are we seeking? What do I actually DO with all this information?
What an interesting time for Homo Sapiens who, perhaps, are realizing they aren’t the top of the food chain after all!
Old 05-04-2020, 07:43   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

CERB:
If you stopped working because of COVID-19, the Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB) may provide you with temporary income support.
The CERB provides $500 a week for up to 16 weeks.
They will start accepting applications on April 6.
Prior to April 6, individuals who are without work, and are eligible for EI can continue to apply for Employment Insurance.
Applyhttps://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-age...-with-cra.html

Other Supports:
The Canadian government has enacted measures valued at more than $250 billion, to mitigate the financial impacts of Covid-19. The highlights below cover employment benefits, business loans and wage subsidies, retirement accounts and individual tax benefits.
https://www.advisor.ca/news/economic...-wage-subsidy/

“Which unemployed Canadians will get support?”
An estimated 862,000 Canadians will receive nothing from EI or the Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB), predicts an analysis, released Thursday, that offers a picture of who is not covered by the safety net Ottawa has created for workers.
Which unemployed Canadians will get support? - Behind the Numbers

Old 05-04-2020, 07:53   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Way down on my list of options, just above “die in place” is to sail our boat back to Newfoundland from Dominica. That’s about 2,000 airline miles. Then another few hundred miles to get around to our marina.

We are good where we are in Dominica.
We have a reservation for a U.K. out in Grenada.
If this mess is not sufficiently calmed down by June 15, to where USA hospitals have excess capacity or there is some effective treatment, then the run to The Rock becomes our best option. I don’t want to wait longer and risk a storm on a 3 week passage.

So I’m interested in what goes on in Canada. I’m presuming being a Canadian citizen will assure me repatriation along with my American Wife. We will have just gone through 3 weeks of enforced isolation. So I don’t see the problem. The only issue would be if we stopped in the South coast and they decided we had to then not move. In which case we would sail straight to our marina before checking in.

The biggest problem is not having clothing for those conditions.
Old 05-04-2020, 08:02   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraleeG View Post
I find it interesting that we need / choose to have yet another forum thread in Covid-19. I guess the barrage of “ news” in the general mainstream media isn’t enough? What happened to all the OTHER news stories before this pandemic? Do accidents happen anymore? Is suicide, the opioid crises, ISIS, Yemen, a thing still? One could argue that I could choose not to click on the link , or I could just ...put my phone down and walk away, but like a train wreck I want to look away, but I can’t! The thing is, the same news stories are continually being recycled , but with different headings... headings with more tragedy and more dire warnings. We get it. It’s bad. People die. But... people are also living, recovering and living to tell the tale. And here on the cruisersforum we also need to talk about it... perhaps to relieve our anxiety? Calm the fear? Does talking about it help or hinder ? I don’t know... but I do see that generally the population is being divided into categories: the fear mongers, the doomsdayers, the wait and see-ers, the panickers, the skeptics ( who will do what they are told because they are good citizens) and the rebels- who do whatever the hell they want.
Why is it that this is all we want to talk about? What information are we seeking? What do I actually DO with all this information?
What an interesting time for Homo Sapiens who, perhaps, are realizing they aren’t the top of the food chain after all!
Fair comments. I think everyone needs lots of solid information after all many countries made some very bad decisions regarding this pandemic. Many leaders gave out bogus information to their citizens and it took lots of repeating to get many people to stop believing ******** and start learning the real facts. There are still groups out there that are really doing crazy stuff for crazy reasons but I guess Darwin looks after that group.

As to repeating bad news, well it's just how humans behave and your example of wanting to see the car crash was an excellent one, it's just who we are.

We are just starting the dance, we haven't really got into the really bad news yet so don't expect to have the buzz quiet down for a long time.

The real deep pain is still to come,....unfortunately! Ya I know more bad news but this is not really a good news time.
Old 05-04-2020, 08:30   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraleeG View Post
I find it interesting that we need / choose to have yet another forum thread in Covid-19. I guess the barrage of “ news” in the general mainstream media isn’t enough? ... And here on the cruisersforum we also need to talk about it... perhaps to relieve our anxiety? Calm the fear? Does talking about it help or hinder ? ...

You've pretty much hit the nail on the head. Concern, uncertainty, seeking community. A place to check your own understanding or address doubts with others.

Speaking personally, I don't actually do much social media. No Facebook, no Twitter, etc. CF is pretty much the only online forum/group I frequent, because (...don't get any swelled heads out there) it's closest to my real-time boating community, and in general, people here are pretty sensible and worth sharing thoughts with, even if there are some sharp political disagreements.
Old 10-04-2020, 07:58   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

A Rare Moment of Cross-Partisan Consensus:
Elite and Public Response to the COVID-19 Pandemic in Canada
*The Media Ecosystem Observatory recently launched a research project, surveying 2,500 Canadians between March 25 and 31. When they analyzed the data, they found no differences, across partisan lines, in terms of social distancing measures that are being taken. Conservative voters are just as likely to engage in social distancing, as Liberal voters, and NDP voters.

Survey data show that individual-level partisan differences are small, and disappear when controlling for demographics, and left-right ideology. Elite and public response to the COVID-19 pandemic can be characterized as a cross-partisan consensus.
https://osf.io/xas4u/

https://www.mediaecosystemobservatory.com/