Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 14-05-2020, 17:28   #46

Boat: C+C Landfall 38
Re: CANADIAN COVID-19 NEWS

Ontario Marinas are open!!! !!
Old 19-05-2020, 14:13   #47

Calling the border with the United States a clear point of "vulnerability" for Canada in terms of Covid-19 infections, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced Tuesday that by mutual agreement, the US / Canadian border will remain closed to nonessential travel until at least June 21.
Trudeau did not rule out a further extension of the border closure. The US-Canada border has been closed since March 21.
"It was the right thing to further extend by 30 days our closure of the Canada, US border to travelers other than essential services and goods, but we will continue to watch carefully what's happening elsewhere in the world and around us as we make decisions on next steps," Trudeau said during his daily press conference in Ottawa.
Even if the border does reopen to nonessential travel, Trudeau repeated that stronger measures may be put in place, such as requiring quarantine, medical checks and tracking for those entering Canada, including those from the US.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/u...rus/index.html
Old 08-06-2020, 10:00   #48

This seems to be a good resource as to what is open in the Pacific Northwest.

https://waggonerguide.com/recreation...ring-covid-19/

https://waggonerguide.com/covid-19/
Old 13-06-2020, 11:27   #49

Boat: Vancouver 27

Have been reading posts for years but this is my 1st post. My problem is that my boat is moored in Blaine Wash., USA. and I live in Prince George, BC. It is Canadian registered, and I am Canadian. I have been patient with the Covid-19 and doing my part, but now concerned that I may lose the summer sailing in Canada. From my boat’s moorage in Blaine Harbor I can see the Peace Arch boarder. So close but so far. If I lived closer to the boarder, I would try my luck on crossing, but I am a 10-hour drive to the boarder. I have heard that people are flying into the US.?? We chose Blaine as it was a good connect driving from the north and a nice community for an out of town boater. But now blocked from our boat. Any suggestions?
Old 13-06-2020, 13:38   #50

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibsen View Post
Have been reading posts for years but this is my 1st post. My problem is that my boat is moored in Blaine Wash., USA. and I live in Prince George, BC. It is Canadian registered, and I am Canadian. I have been patient with the Covid-19 and doing my part, but now concerned that I may lose the summer sailing in Canada. From my boat’s moorage in Blaine Harbor I can see the Peace Arch boarder. So close but so far. If I lived closer to the boarder, I would try my luck on crossing, but I am a 10-hour drive to the boarder. I have heard that people are flying into the US.?? We chose Blaine as it was a good connect driving from the north and a nice community for an out of town boater. But now blocked from our boat. Any suggestions?
I've heard you can still fly into the US as well. But it would mean a lot of quarantining there and again back in Canada. But then what do you do with the boat if the borders are not open at the end of the season (which I am putting even money on)? I would really consider talking to both border control agencies before taking the risk.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/u-s...-fly-1.5607741

I think you are hooped this season. I have heard of a few others who have their boat in Point Roberts with the same problem, including one American that can't get to his boat to get it south into American waters.
Old 13-06-2020, 14:44   #51

Boat: Rafiki 37

Interesting... I can't even get to Newfoundland, and I'm a Canadian.

I've given up on my cruising season for this year. I just hope my boat survives two Newfoundland winters unattended.
Old 13-06-2020, 14:48   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibsen View Post
Ouch. Must be frustrating.

I'm sure there are lots of brokers in your area who are used to moving boats back and forth across the border. And truckers are still allowed to cross the Canada-US borders.

Putting these ideas together, I imagine that brokers have figured out a way to move sold boats back and forth between Canada and the US... possibly using delivery captains?

So maybe there's a way that your boat could be moved to Canada, if you could secure a place to keep her.

Here on the Great Lakes, many people have chosen not to launch this year, leaving many slips available. If it's the same in BC, it may not be hard to find a spot there for the summer.

( ... and life is getting better here; we're launching tomorrow. )
Old 13-06-2020, 15:05   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Interesting... I can't even get to Newfoundland, and I'm a Canadian.

I've given up on my cruising season for this year. I just hope my boat survives two Newfoundland winters unattended.
Well if that isnt a bummer Mike! As long as its winterized I think winter is easier on a boat than summer.
We hauled our butts up from Central America to the Chesapeake Bay., just got hauled today. Won't be back until this whole C19 is over...meds or vaccine. Can't cruise in this environment.
Old 16-06-2020, 16:01   #54

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau confirmed on Tuesday that the Canada-U.S. border closure on non-essential travel will remain in place until July 21.

The previous agreement was set to expire on Sunday.
Old 16-06-2020, 21:30   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau confirmed on Tuesday that the Canada-U.S. border closure on non-essential travel will remain in place until July 21.

The previous agreement was set to expire on Sunday.

If things keep up maybe we'll have to build a wall .
Old 17-06-2020, 06:39   #56

Quote:
If things keep up maybe we'll have to build a wall .
Americans are visiting Canada claiming they are driving to Alaska; they have been spotted in camps sites. Marine Traffic shows US pleasure craft in anchorages in the Gulf Islands; that is just the ones silly enough to still activate their AIS.
Old 17-06-2020, 07:05   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Americans are visiting Canada claiming they are driving to Alaska; they have been spotted in camps sites. Marine Traffic shows US pleasure craft in anchorages in the Gulf Islands; that is just the ones silly enough to still activate their AIS.
Yeah, I've read a few stories about the "Alaska loophole," where Americans are allowed into Canada for the sole purpose of transiting to Alaska, but then just go off to Banff or just pull in to RV campground. I don't think the numbers are large, but it just shows that there are always going to be a certain number a-holes who think the rules don't apply to them.

As far as American boats being in the Gulf Islands, if they cross over into BC waters without contacting CBSA, that is a clear breach of law. They risk serious legal consequences outside of any Covid-19 violations.
Old 17-06-2020, 08:07   #58
rbk

Boat: T37

Quote:
Yeah, I've read a few stories about the "Alaska loophole," where Americans are allowed into Canada for the sole purpose of transiting to Alaska, but then just go off to Banff or just pull in to RV campground. I don't think the numbers are large, but it just shows that there are always going to be a certain number a-holes who think the rules don't apply to them.

As far as American boats being in the Gulf Islands, if they cross over into BC waters without contacting CBSA, that is a clear breach of law. They risk serious legal consequences outside of any Covid-19 violations.
Being right next to Alaska I can say there are lots of people ‘transiting’ to Alaska. They probably neglect to tell enforcement that they will take a month transiting through Canada to get there. My boat is across the boarder and I can’t go down to check on it etc but all these lower 48’rs can road trip around Canada on vacation. Only slightly pisses me off They’re supposed to move through the Yukon within 24 hours, make minimal stops etc, yet see them driving around town all the time.
Old 17-06-2020, 10:32   #59

Well maybe you could just reposition the 600 + miles of barrier that is along the USA / Mexican border and take it up to the 49th parallel.

Hey, don't y'all have armed Boogalooers up in Canada that could confront the damn Covidiot Yank's and make them move along promptly to Alaska?

It should not take but a few hundred of these types to intimidate the Yanks to expedite their traveling. Just saying.

Surely you are prepared to protect your home country by bringing your guns to a virus fight.

O Canada! Our home and native land,
True patriot love in all of us command!
With cough and pneumonia free lungs we see thee rise
The True North strong and virus free,
From far and wide, O Canada,
We stand on guard for thee.
God keep our land glorious and coronavirus free!
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee;
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee

Stay safe and healthy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0504_North_Carolina_Protest.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	217573   Click image for larger version

Name:	covidiots 1.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	176.7 KB
ID:	217574  

Old 17-06-2020, 11:02   #60

Quote:

There is a whole segment of the population (in Canada and in the U.S.) who think that borders are meaningless, and like to call illegal immigrants "undocumented", or simply "immigrants", as if it's some kind of paperwork mix-up. So is there a surprise when people don't take immigration rules seriously?