Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 10-07-2020, 07:32   #106

Boat: Hunter 386
Re: CANADIAN COVID-19 NEWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by desodave View Post
I'm on my boat now in Desolation Sound, my 4th trip of the year to the Sound. There were some early park/anchorage closures but they lasted for less than a month. It is my local cruising ground and I've made a decision to stay local this year and to isolate on our boat at anchor. I'm happy that BC has done well enough that travel within the province is now officially encouraged - as long as we minimize contacts with other people. However, we're still cautioned to avoid many small coastal and aboriginal communities because of their lack of resources.
Then what the hell are you doing on the internet! You realize you have a duty to enjoy the Sound for all of us stuck behind our keyboards!!! Now get out there and say hello to a seal or two for me...

###

I am holding out hope for a fall cruise. I figure as an Albertan I won't be too unwelcome by then and the communities will have become comfortable with visitors. It's an interesting time; I was reading that some places like Heriot Bay are asking visiting boaters to not shop at the grocery store, while one island over Gorge Harbour is fully open. Interesting times...
Old 10-07-2020, 08:42   #107

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingCouple View Post
For our Canadian friends please realize the Corona is the media and politically enhanced election year flu in the US. That in reality has affected less than 1% of the population. It will disappear like magic after Nov 3, just like it did last month for rioting, looting and setting stuff on fire.
I tried to understand the above because I really want to sail up the BC coast, but I failed miserably. Corona is not "a media and politcally enhanced election year flu". It's taken some 135,000 countrymen and women who are sorely missed by many. Four friends of mine are gone. Seems very dismissive and casual. And hard hearted.

"It will disappear like magic after Nov 3". Only if we grow up and start acting like adults. Wearing a mask is not a political statement. This thinking is what got us into this mess. I am just as frustrated and bored and economically scared as any angry person I see on the news. But I try to manage my frustration and boredom and fear and stay on the boat and wear a mask when I leave it. Just wear the damn mask and it WILL magically disappear in a couple of months.

And to our Canadian friends I don't blame you a bit. You're well, we're not. 'Nuf said.
Old 10-07-2020, 08:46   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Just wear the damn mask and it WILL magically disappear in a couple of months.

And to our Canadian friends I don't blame you a bit. You're well, we're not. 'Nuf said.

Thanks for your kind thoughts.

I agree about the masks. Only quibble I have is that it won't disappear. It will BE HERE. It WILL, however, mean that a LOT less people will get infected.

I believe that that is a critical distinction. Often misunderstood by Joe Public.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 10-07-2020, 08:54   #109

Boat: Chris Craft Roamer 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
The virus isn't political, even if the reaction to it has been in the USA (and a few other countries). If current trends continue, it will be magnitudes worse by November.
It's the politically charged narrative that is the problem. So all I'm saying is use some common sense in believing anything you see, read or hear from the mainstream media.

Cancer gets roughly 700,000 a year in the US
AIDS is another 700,000 in the US since it began
COPD, about 150,000/yr
Strokes about 160,000/yr
Auto accidents roughly 40,000 with over 4 million with permanent and debilitating injury every year
Other accidental deaths besides auto's, about 160,000/yr.

Why isn't the media concentrating on these things instead? Because it doesn't have the politically charged narrative to get ad clicks, viewers and ratings.

We're doing a major refit on our Chris Craft this summer. New Cat 3406's, generator, tankage, A/C, electronics and new galley and head. We're leaving for the Caribbean again in October and we're not even remotely worried about Corona changing our plans.

Why?

Because it is a media-driven politically charged phenomenon. When I say it will disappear in Nov, it is just like the riots here. It was Corona this, and Corona that, governors have big lockdowns. Suddenly we have riots and we have some governors marching in the streets shoulder to shoulder with so-called "protesters". Screw Corona lockdowns, masks and "social distancing". We got riots and that's better politically! The riots die out, well let's go back to Corona.

But my observations are based on common sense, which seems to be a rare commodity anymore.
Old 10-07-2020, 09:25   #110

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
It's the politically charged narrative that is the problem. So all I'm saying is use some common sense in believing anything you see, read or hear from the mainstream media.

Cancer gets roughly 700,000 a year in the US
AIDS is another 700,000 in the US since it began
COPD, about 150,000/yr
Strokes about 160,000/yr
Auto accidents roughly 40,000 with over 4 million with permanent and debilitating injury every year
Other accidental deaths besides auto's, about 160,000/yr.
I agree, it is the politically charged narrative that is exacerbating the problem in your country. But it seems to be coming from people who like to quote stats like yours above.

All of these stats have found their way into public discussion at various times. The only relevance they bare to the current Covid-19 death toll is to put it in some sort of perspective. Doesn't change the facts on the ground.

Quote:
We're doing a major refit on our Chris Craft this summer. New Cat 3406's, generator, tankage, A/C, electronics and new galley and head. We're leaving for the Caribbean again in October and we're not even remotely worried about Corona changing our plans.
Good luck with that. Hope you're right, but I'd bet against it at this point unless something changes with the US response.

Quote:
But my observations are based on common sense, which seems to be a rare commodity anymore.
Once again I agree. Your message seems to illustrate your point perfectly.
Old 10-07-2020, 10:00   #111

Quote:
The only relevance they bare to the current Covid-19 death toll is to put it in some sort of perspective. Doesn't change the facts on the ground.
Mike, all I'm saying is, put aside the media hype and what are the facts on the ground?

Can the human race stop the spread of a virus? No. They (we) can't. Any more than they can stop the spread of the common cold, which is another coronavirus.

The only thing that will stop it is when it eventually mutates into something else, or dies out because it has nowhere to go to survive. This has been happening with viruses since the beginning of time. Anywhere there is significant population density it will spread, and you cannot stop it. You might be able to slow it down, but it can't be stopped.

My wife and I both had CDC serum tests about 3 weeks ago. We both tested positive for anti-bodies on two lab tests. They counted us as "probable corona cases for the county. The fact is, they don't know. We are both 60 and neither of has had even a common cold for going on 20 years, ever since our kids grew and left. The protein they test for in that test could've come from any number of coronaviruses we were exposed to in the past and never got. And it might even make us totally immune to the latest one. But the fact is, they don't know.

So are me and my wife going to huddle in our basement in fear? No. We're not. We've never lived our lives that way and we're not going to start now. We are leaving for the Western Caribbean in October, we'll take it as it comes. If we go someplace and are required to quarantine on our boat on an anchorage, we'll provision the boat to do it and we'll enjoy every minute of it anyway. Corona is not going to stop us. Because the so-called "science" behind it is not conclusive and that will eventually come to light.
Old 10-07-2020, 10:15   #112

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
Then what the hell are you doing on the internet! You realize you have a duty to enjoy the Sound for all of us stuck behind our keyboards!!! Now get out there and say hello to a seal or two for me...

###

I am holding out hope for a fall cruise. I figure as an Albertan I won't be too unwelcome by then and the communities will have become comfortable with visitors. It's an interesting time; I was reading that some places like Heriot Bay are asking visiting boaters to not shop at the grocery store, while one island over Gorge Harbour is fully open. Interesting times...
Lol

It is still gorgeous (pics to prove it), and 3 whales on the way over too. If the weather had been better (a week of SE in July?), I wouldn't have been anywhere near my phone !!Click image for larger version

Name:	20200705_204049.jpeg
Views:	93
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	219072Click image for larger version

Name:	20200705_210721.jpeg
Views:	98
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	219074
Old 10-07-2020, 10:19   #113

Quote:
Mike, all I'm saying is, put aside the media hype and what are the facts on the ground?

Can the human race stop the spread of a virus? No. They (we) can't. Any more than they can stop the spread of the common cold, which is another coronavirus.

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/...radicated.html

The only thing that will stop it is when it eventually mutates into something else, or dies out because it has nowhere to go to survive. This has been happening with viruses since the beginning of time. Anywhere there is significant population density it will spread, and you cannot stop it. You might be able to slow it down, but it can't be stopped.[/QUOTE]

Factually incorrect.

Quote:
Look, I'm no proponent of hiding in fear. I don't know anyone who is. This is one of the false media narratives that I keep hearing from certain segments.
The science (without quotes) is far from certain at this point. That's the wonderful thing about science, rather than relying on so-called "common sense"; science is an evolving process that slowly gains understanding. Common sense is great when dealing with something that is common. This pandemic is outside the common experience of almost everyone currently alive.
Old 10-07-2020, 10:30   #114

The "put it in perspective" post.

Could it be that one is comparing YEARLY totals to three month totals for C-19?

Kinda changes the "conclusions."

And cancer, so far is incurable and NOT contagious. How about comparing apples and kumquats?
Old 10-07-2020, 11:21   #115

Canadians Say ‘Keep It’ To U.S. Congress Calls For Reopened Border

"A bipartisan group of United States politicians is pushing for the U.S.-Canada border to reopen.

But Canadians are having none of it, and they aren’t sorry they feel this way."

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/canad...212147273.html

"Some were a bit more measured — and characteristically Canadian polite — in their responses, but still not in favour of a swift reopening."

"I'm sorry that so many of the responses from my fellow Canadians are uncharacteristically rude. But it's fair to say there's a lot of anxiety on this side of the border about opening the border right now given the escalation of cases in the US.

Maybe we give it some time, eh?"

Old 10-07-2020, 11:33   #116

Quote:
So are me and my wife going to huddle in our basement in fear? No. We're not. We've never lived our lives that way and we're not going to start now. We are leaving for the Western Caribbean in October, we'll take it as it comes. If we go someplace and are required to quarantine on our boat on an anchorage, we'll provision the boat to do it and we'll enjoy every minute of it anyway. Corona is not going to stop us.
Can't fault you for that; it's still your decision at the end of the day, if the destinations are permitting visitors.

Quote:
Because the so-called "science" behind it is not conclusive and that will eventually come to light.
Well... that sounds like a political stance or willful ignorance.

You can do both, you know: live life by your own rules, and not be scientifically ignorant.
Old 10-07-2020, 11:40   #117

Quote:
science is an evolving process that slowly gains understanding.
And in the process, continually propagates the latest theory as absolute fact. And anybody that questions it is a "denier".

If Canada wants to isolate themselves it makes no difference to us. We have no desire to go there anyway. I've stated my opinions on the matter, and despite the thinking that masks, social distancing and lockdowns are going to stop any virus, we're not buying it. Even in Italy, which had some of the strictest lockdowns in the world, didn't stop it. And neither did China.

We have almost a year's experience living in the Caribbean on our sailboat. We learned the ropes of cruising that part of the world. We met some couples cruising with trawlers and decided to switch boats. Which is taking us a year to do. But when we're ready to go, Corona is not going to stop us. We may have to adjust to accommodate different country's requirements, but you find you have to do that anyway even for health insurance in some places, and how long you are allowed to stay there.

After getting some experience doing it, we're not in the least bit worried about it.
Old 10-07-2020, 11:43   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
The "put it in perspective" post.

Could it be that one is comparing YEARLY totals to three month totals for C-19?

Kinda changes the "conclusions."

And cancer, so far is incurable and NOT contagious. How about comparing apples and kumquats?
Vaccines to prevent cancers, all for that, bring them on.

I worked for a biotechnology company for seven years, which among other therapeutics sectors, developed 4 virus related vaccines, including for leukemia and influenza, albeit for animals not humans but one was instrumental in eliminating Rinderpest from the world; there having been only two viruses that have been declared as eliminated, Small Pox and Rinderpest. Rinderpest was the zoonotic virus that was one of the plagues of Egypt and is the virus from which Measles was derived and crossed and became endemic in humans around 700 AD. Both Rinderpest and Measles are among the most contagious of all virus, with Rinderpest killing most every exposed animal within days, entire herds were lost. Measles until recently killed millions of humans every year and still can if vaccinations are not deployed. Anti-vaxers are truly problematic as to controlling measles.

The Human Papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine has been of great benefit but still underdeployed.

DOES HPV CAUSE CANCER?

HPV is the causal agent of around 5% of all cancers worldwide, along with genital warts and laryngeal papillomas.

​There are around 200 strains of HPV. Of those strains, around 13 carry the ability to cause cancer. The strains which are most associated with HPV-related cancers are HPV-16 and HPV-18.

​Many people are aware that HPV causes cervical cancer in women, however this is not the full story. High-risk strains of HPV can result in HPV-related cancers of the anus, cervix, head & neck, penis, vagina and vulva. Rates of anal, penile and head & neck cancer in men are rising dramatically.

​For those unfortunate, HPV lies dormant in their bodies and resurfaces as an HPV-related cancer decades later. HPV can be classified as either low-risk or high-risk. Low-risk strains of HPV may manifest as genital warts. High-risk strains may turn into cancer. Researchers believe that it can take from 10 to 20 years, or even longer for a new infection with high-risk HPV to develop into cancer.

HPV is the causal agent of:

​70% of oropharyngeal cancers (head & neck)

91% of anal cancers

91% of cervical cancers

63% of penile cancers

75% of vaginal cancers

70% of vulva cancers

​Source: CDC

​HPV can also cause recurrent respiratory papillomatosis (RRP). RRP is passed from mother to child during childbirth and manifests in the child as warts in the throat.

Individuals with compromised immune systems are at a greater risk for HPV infection and more vulnerable to HPV progressing into precancer and cancer. Smoking may also increase this risk.

WHAT ABOUT THE HPV VACCINE?

Vaccination against HPV is key in order to prevent HPV-related cancers. Both boys and girls should be vaccinated.

The HPV vaccine protects against the most common cancer-causing strains of HPV, and the strains which cause genital warts. The younger a person is vaccinated, the more effective the vaccine. This is because a person who is vaccinated at a younger age has a higher immune response, as well as a higher likelihood they have not already been exposed to the virus.

​In the UK, both boys and girls aged 12 -13 (Year 8) can receive the HPV vaccine (girls have been vaccinated since 2008, boys were only added to the programme in September 2019 following the successful work of HPV Action, a coalition co-founded by NOMAN).

​In the USA, boys and girls under 26 are recommended to receive the HPV vaccine. Routine vaccination is recommended at the ages of 11 or 12 during their pre-teen check-up, but the vaccination series can begin as young as 9. Find out more via the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

​Unvaccinated adults should consult their doctor about the benefits of vaccination as although they will likely have been exposed to HPV, there will still be benefit to immunisation.

As to measles, some quick facts.
Even though a safe and cost-effective vaccine is available, in 2018, there were more than 140 000 measles deaths globally, mostly among children under the age of five.
Measles vaccination resulted in a 73% drop in measles deaths between 2000 and 2018 worldwide 536 000 in 2000* to 142,000 in 2018.
In 2018, about 86% of the world's children received one dose of measles vaccine by their first birthday through routine health services – up from 72% in 2000.
During 2000- 2018, measles vaccination prevented an estimated 23.2 million deaths making measles vaccine one of the best buys in public health.
Measles is a highly contagious, serious disease caused by a virus. Before the introduction of measles vaccine in 1963 and widespread vaccination, major epidemics occurred approximately every 2–3 years and measles caused an estimated 2.6 million deaths each year.

Covid has greatly disrupted routine vaccinations worldwide. We can expect a lot more viral outbreaks due to lack of appropriate vaccinations being achieved.
Old 10-07-2020, 20:41   #119

Quote:
And in the process, continually propagates the latest theory as absolute fact. And anybody that questions it is a "denier".
If this is your belief then you have a poor understanding of science, and how it actually works.

Quote:
If Canada wants to isolate themselves it makes no difference to us. We have no desire to go there anyway. I've stated my opinions on the matter, and despite the thinking that masks, social distancing and lockdowns are going to stop any virus, we're not buying it. Even in Italy, which had some of the strictest lockdowns in the world, didn't stop it. And neither did China.
It's not Canada that is becoming isolated. Sadly, it is the USA.

Countries that refuse to follow the best science and take rational steps to control Covid-19 within their borders will find themselves increasingly isolated. As an example, Canadians can now travel to the EU. Americans can not.

This is why I suggest you have a Plan B for your cruising. If the USA continues on its current trajectory few countries will remain open to you.
Old 10-07-2020, 20:46   #120

Quote:
>>>>>>>

If Canada wants to isolate themselves it makes no difference to us. We have no desire to go there anyway. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Good.

I wish you all the best and safe journey, stay well, be safe.

Our health minister here in B.C., Dr. Bonnie Henry, who has led us to very low statistics, shares this in her daily briefings:

Wear a mask, wash your hands, watch your distance

be kind be calm be safe

Gee, how non-political and health-based. Gee, ain't science great?