Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2020, 14:42   #1

Boat: Catalina 470
Australian quarantine equality?

In my last post I was accused of wanting special treatment, my argument was we arent flying From LA to oz in 12 hours, we are coming from a country that has no community transmission of Covid 19 and then spending 9-12 days at sea.

I absolutely accept people have differing views on this matter BUT I'm assuming equality means "all being treated equal?"

Below is an official complaint I've just submitted, if anyone has any advice on how I can make more noise let me know.

I will not be arguing with those that disagree with me.

"Hello, I'm writing to lodge an official complaint.

I've just arrived via my sailing vessel from Fiji. Three yachts left at exactly the same*time. We all know each other well, have all applied for a quarantine exemption asking for time at sea to count and remainder of quarantine time to be served on our vessels. We have all followed exactly the same procedures.*

SV Sukha (my boat) and SV Influencer sailed to Bundaberg we arrived on the 30th. We have been given no excemption, we are currently being held against our will in a quarantine facility at great expense* although we have come from Fiji that has no community transmission of covid and we have had three covid tests.

SV ....... literally left within minutes of us and arrived back in Australia at the same time, they have been granted an excemption and are currently just serving the remaining 3 days quarantine on their vessel.

I ask for EQUALITY.* I am an Australian citizen , I've committed no crime yet I am locked up with two police officers at my door and being forced to pay*$3,700. While my friends who have come from exactly the same place as I are not locked up and do not have to pay*$3,700!.

I will not let this matter rest, in a country like Australia I expect equality.

Please address this issue and please lodge this correspondence as an OFFICIAL* COMPLAINT.

Both Borderforce and the police here in Bundaberg are very supportive of this complaint, they've encouraged me to lodge an official complaint as this is not the first injustice they have seen regarding unfair treatment of Australian yachtsmen returning home.

Kind regards*
DaleTournier
Sv Sukha.
Old 01-10-2020, 14:51   #2

Re: Australian quarantine equality?

Btw, the straw that broke the camel's back was when we arrived at the quarantine motel we were told there is only one double bed in the room, meaning if Dave and I didnt want to share a bed or one of us sleep on the ground then I'd have to pay for a second room ,$2,800.

That was it for me, I explained that this is completely unacceptable and I will not be setting foot in that room and I will not be paying for a second room, this room was already costing me $3,700. I was prepared to go to jail, I was prepared to resist arrest and I was prepared to defend myself, I explained this very clearly to the police. After several phone calls we got seperate rooms.

All officials were excellent including the police, the opening words were "welcome to our disater". They sincerely are supportive,
Old 01-10-2020, 14:56   #3

Well that’s the choice the CEO of Australia made so
Old 01-10-2020, 14:58   #4

Is the word you are trying to use "exception" or "exemption"? Not sure "excemption" is a word.

Please keep us updated as to the outcome.
Old 01-10-2020, 15:01   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Boy, Dale, what a mess up! Maybe one out of three isn't bad! There should be an ombudsman to whom you can apply for equal treatment under the law, without getting your friends in trouble.

Good luck with it! you activist, you!

Ann
Old 01-10-2020, 15:04   #6

Boat: Outremer 50S

I can see where this ends up, SV ....... has to pony up $2400 for their exemption, which is distributed $1200 each to Sukha and Influencer. Then all are (close to) equal. They're not going to be happy.
Old 01-10-2020, 15:07   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaClyDog View Post
Is the word you are trying to use "exception" or "exemption"? Not sure "excemption" is a word.

Please keep us updated as to the outcome.
No, we all applied for a quarantine excemption asking for time at sea to count and remaining quarantine to be done on vessel.
Old 01-10-2020, 15:08   #8

Any idea why SV ..... got to quarantine on their boat and you didn't?

If there is genuine equivalence in situation, yet that boat's crew got an exemption and yours didn't, you probably have grounds for getting a refund - if not now, then later.

Best wishes in any case.
Old 01-10-2020, 15:22   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post

If there is genuine equivalence in situation, yet that boat's crew got an exemption and yours didn't, you probably have grounds for getting a refund - if not now, then later.

Best wishes in any case.
Hi mate, that's the point exactly. You need to understand there is no difference, we spoke daily about our applications , we all joined the "the downunder dash" and followed exactly the same advice regarding applications and procedures. We had the dash organizer back here corresponding with officials......I know 100% for sure there is no difference in our applications or circumstances.

The old couple I mentioned in a previous thread did 12 days after a 34 day passage, yet other friends were given an excemption after their 14 day passage from Wallis.

This is a rock show and I'm a caged animal getting fed by my keepers.
Old 01-10-2020, 15:28   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Boy, Dale, what a mess up! Maybe one out of three isn't bad! There should be an ombudsman to whom you can apply for equal treatment under the law, without getting your friends in trouble.

Good luck with it! you activist, you!

Ann
I have a new hobby Ann!.

Btw, heres a tradgic story.

On the way to lockup we are in a mini van that takes us to the fever clinic. The van door opens and a lady in head to toe protective gear pass's me a phone number I must ring and answer the questions one question is "do I identify as an aboriginal ", I have no idea what that means, I am or I'm not, right? ..subject for another day.

Anyway, another lady comes to the van, we get talking, her exact words were "this is F.......", I buried my dad via my iPad last week".....she burst into tears and walked away.
Old 01-10-2020, 15:32   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post

Best wishes in any case.
How do I get a refund of my life minutes?

What about the fact I have committed no crime and I have no criminal record yet I'm being held against my will and have two police officers standing at my door? Even the negative covid result means nothing.
Old 01-10-2020, 15:33   #12

Boat: Alajuela 33

Did SV ....... sail to Bundaberg or a different location?
Is it possible there are different regulations/procedures at different localities?
Old 01-10-2020, 15:41   #13

I don`t understand why you cannot self isolate on your own vessel on arrival - even if you had to start the 14 days again. You can be self sufficient on your vessel. Having said that logic would suggest that your passage to the current destination is one of the best examples of isolating that you could ever get - you can demonstrate through logbooks/routing that you have not stopped and socialized along the way.

I am not liking the "lack of trust in your own population to do the right thing and be socially responsible" model we are seeing in Australia.
Old 01-10-2020, 16:06   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by japawil View Post
Did SV ....... sail to Bundaberg or a different location?
Is it possible there are different regulations/procedures at different localities?
They sailed to the Gold Coast, it shouldn't matter, this is a Qld health decision.

I know it's natural to assume they did something different or it's a port thing but its actually a state matter.

I could of headed 15° up two days back and arrived at the Gold Coast BUT I'd be locked up there because I haven't recieved an excemption, their excemption arrived via email while at sea before they knew what their final destination was.
Old 01-10-2020, 16:08   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattzilla View Post
I don`t understand why you cannot self isolate on your own vessel on arrival - even if you had to start the 14 days again. You can be self sufficient on your vessel. Having said that logic would suggest that your passage to the current destination is one of the best examples of isolating that you could ever get - you can demonstrate through logbooks/routing that you have not stopped and socialized along the way.

I am not liking the "lack of trust in your own population to do the right thing and be socially responsible" model we are seeing in Australia.
We dont even need log books, Borderforce tracks us the whole way and Pacific Maritime submit our Ais track to MSQ.

Tags
Australia