Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2020, 16:10   #16

Boat: Outremer 50S
Re: Australian quarantine equality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
They sailed to the Gold Coast, it shouldn't matter, this is a Qld health decision.

I know it's natural to assume they did something different or it's a port thing but its actually a state matter.

I could of headed 15° up two days back and arrived at the Gold Coast BUT I'd be locked up there because I haven't recieved an excemption, their excemption arrived via email while at sea before they knew what their final destination was.
Just curious, was your exemption denied? Or have you not (yet) received an e-mail or other communication to tell you the status?
Old 01-10-2020, 16:19   #17

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
We dont even need log books, Borderforce tracks us the whole way and Pacific Maritime submit our Ais track to MSQ.
Yeah, but Dale, your AIS track does not show the time the aliens beamed down onto your yacht bearing gifts and diseases yet unknown to mankind. You know, that's where the Covid came from initially, don't you? No wonder they have incarcerated you...

Mate, I do not blame you for your anger, and hope that some publicity will focus on such injustices.

Good luck in your quest for reasonable treatment.

Jim
Old 01-10-2020, 16:33   #18

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaClyDog View Post
Not sure "excemption" is a word.
I am fairly positive that excemption is not an accepted word in the English language.

Exemption was imported into English from French in about 1380, by the team led by John Wycliffe that translated the Christian Bible.

In Wycliffe's Bible, the chosen orthography was exempcion. Since that first appearance in print, a few other spellings have appeared, including exemptyon.

Look at the structure of the word, and its ancestors in Latin, you will see ex- meaning 'out, out of' and emo 'to take'.

Of course, none of that relates to either the state of Queensland or the federation of Australia and their legal structures.

Neither of those jurisdictions has a Bill of Rights and neither has fundamental principles about equality or equity. And the stuff about human rights is just "stuff".

Both jurisdictions have ignored (and continue to ignore) the sovereignty rights of indigenes. Both jurisdictions run effectively as ethnocracies, ignoring the indigenes because they are non-white. The Queensland jurisdiction tolerated and facilitated genocide, including the employ of 'Native Police' to exterminate indigenes. Before the state of Queensland separated from the state of New South Wales, the state of New South Wales moved deliberately to target and execute the practitioners of indigenous law (see NSW v Dundalli in 1854). The federation of Australia was formed subsequent to the genocide of the Palawa people in van Dieman's land (that's the act of genocide that inspired Herbert G Wells to pen a story titled "The War of the Worlds" in 1897).

With that as basic practice up to now, how can anyone expect practice of a notion of equality under law? Caste, class, race, and religion divide Australia and its component states and territories. The OP just doesn't belong to the right caste (i.e. he doesn't have the right socio-political connections).
Old 01-10-2020, 16:46   #19

Quote:
How do I get a refund of my life minutes?

What about the fact I have committed no crime and I have no criminal record yet I'm being held against my will and have two police officers standing at my door? Even the negative covid result means nothing.
Shhhhh, it’s for your own good, government knows best, obey.
You can trust Government™
Old 01-10-2020, 16:50   #20
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Dale, welcome back to Australia and I'm sorry to hear about the discrimination of process between the three vessels - you are correct, it shouldn't be this way.

It sounds to me that SV..... simply got lucky at the Gold Coast. This is the Australian way, we all like to bet and there can only be one winner. Better luck next time.

While I totally agree with you stance, I'm afraid the outcome of your complaint might well be the Gold Coast ABF fellas will be told to ensure the law is applied to all and get the SV.... crew into a quarantine hotel ASAP. At a minimum, the GC ABF guys will get their knuckles rapped.

Good to hear you won with the room!

EDIT: I missed the bit about SV..... being granted the exemption - so OK, the GC ABF fellas are off the hook. This is matter of who gets the exemptions and who doesn't under similar circumstances. More power to your cause mate.

Very sadly your story is very common place and is the discrimination appears to be a function of leadership (and lack of funding) in political sphere.

I think you asked what else can be done?

If it was me, I would writing to every federal member, every state member and every senator of all parties.

After that, see what mainstream media is interested.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 01-10-2020, 17:02   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
Just curious, was your exemption denied? Or have you not (yet) received an e-mail or other communication to tell you the status?
I'd be very interested to hear about this to, i've had 3 Queensland exemptions and 3 from the Northern Territory so am fairly familiar with that process, having said that, nearly every time i have applied for an exemption there has been changes to the application.....

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
Old 01-10-2020, 17:04   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Mighty View Post
I am fairly positive that excemption is not an accepted word in the English language.

Exemption was imported into English from French in about 1380, by the team led by John Wycliffe that translated the Christian Bible.

In Wycliffe's Bible, the chosen orthography was exempcion. Since that first appearance in print, a few other spellings have appeared, including exemptyon.

Look at the structure of the word, and its ancestors in Latin, you will see ex- meaning 'out, out of' and emo 'to take'.

Of course, none of that relates to either the state of Queensland or the federation of Australia and their legal structures.

Neither of those jurisdictions has a Bill of Rights and neither has fundamental principles about equality or equity. And the stuff about human rights is just "stuff".

Both jurisdictions have ignored (and continue to ignore) the sovereignty rights of indigenes. Both jurisdictions run effectively as ethnocracies, ignoring the indigenes because they are non-white. The Queensland jurisdiction tolerated and facilitated genocide, including the employ of 'Native Police' to exterminate indigenes. Before the state of Queensland separated from the state of New South Wales, the state of New South Wales moved deliberately to target and execute the practitioners of indigenous law (see NSW v Dundalli in 1854). The federation of Australia was formed subsequent to the genocide of the Palawa people in van Dieman's land (that's the act of genocide that inspired Herbert G Wells to pen a story titled "The War of the Worlds" in 1897).

With that as basic practice up to now, how can anyone expect practice of a notion of equality under law? Caste, class, race, and religion divide Australia and its component states and territories. The OP just doesn't belong to the right caste (i.e. he doesn't have the right socio-political connections).
Yea, sorry... maybe I should have enclosed that sentence with the sarcasm tag.
Old 01-10-2020, 17:41   #23

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
No it hasnt been denied, they just haven't replied.We sent the application in 6 weeks ago, and continually update the application.
Old 01-10-2020, 17:41   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Yeah, but Dale, your AIS track does not show the time the aliens beamed down onto your yacht bearing gifts and diseases yet unknown to mankind. You know, that's where the Covid came from initially, don't you? No wonder they have incarcerated you...

Mate, I do not blame you for your anger, and hope that some publicity will focus on such injustices.

Good luck in your quest for reasonable treatment.

Jim
Thanks mate.
Old 01-10-2020, 17:44   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Dale, welcome back to Australia and I'm sorry to hear about the discrimination of process between the three vessels - you are correct, it shouldn't be this way.

It sounds to me that SV..... simply got lucky at the Gold Coast. This is the Australian way, we all like to bet and there can only be one winner. Better luck next time.

While I totally agree with you stance, I'm afraid the outcome of your complaint might well be the Gold Coast ABF fellas will be told to ensure the law is applied to all and get the SV.... crew into a quarantine hotel ASAP. At a minimum, the GC ABF guys will get their knuckles rapped.

Good to hear you won with the room!

EDIT: I missed the bit about SV..... being granted the exemption - so OK, the GC ABF fellas are off the hook. This is matter of who gets the exemptions and who doesn't under similar circumstances. More power to your cause mate.

Very sadly your story is very common place and is the discrimination appears to be a function of leadership (and lack of funding) in political sphere.

I think you asked what else can be done?

If it was me, I would writing to every federal member, every state member and every senator of all parties.

After that, see what mainstream media is interested.
I'm ringing Mp's, alan Jones ,Ray Hadley, current affairs, health ombudsman, qld health etc as we speak....I have time and Im stubborn.
Old 01-10-2020, 17:50   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Mighty View Post

Alan, I only understood today what not having a bill of rights really means.....it means I can not walk out the door of this box, i am not a free man, i was under the illusion that I was.
Old 01-10-2020, 17:58   #27

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
They sailed to the Gold Coast, it shouldn't matter, this is a Qld health decision.

I know it's natural to assume they did something different or it's a port thing but its actually a state matter.

I could of headed 15° up two days back and arrived at the Gold Coast BUT I'd be locked up there because I haven't recieved an excemption, their excemption arrived via email while at sea before they knew what their final destination was.
Dale
Pretty sucky situation. My experience with Australian border force is that there are some large differences in interprataion and implementation of the regulations. For example Customs rules for Vessel in Transit goods being very different between Brisbane and Cairns. Another example is what level of termite inspection (and fees) a vessel gets based on the port of entry.
Old 01-10-2020, 18:37   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Dale
Pretty sucky situation. My experience with Australian border force is that there are some large differences in interprataion and implementation of the regulations. For example Customs rules for Vessel in Transit goods being very different between Brisbane and Cairns. Another example is what level of termite inspection (and fees) a vessel gets based on the port of entry.
Hi Paul, Qld health is the issue here.

Regarding fees, I've been here less than 36 hrs and I'm out of pocket $4,150 so far.
Old 01-10-2020, 18:42   #29

Quote:
I'm ringing Mp's, alan Jones ,Ray Hadley, current affairs, health ombudsman, qld health etc as we speak....I have time and Im stubborn.
IMHO - follow up phone calls with emails and/or old fashion letters. IMO, phone calls are quickly forgotten and leave no trail.

I also think it is important to contact both sides of the fence. Opposition members are more likely to go int bat for you if they see political advantage for them. Government members get afraid if they see a groundswell of people that oppose their viewpoint. Also both sides can see who is CC when there is electronic / paper trail.

You didn't get to circumnavigate by being a wallflower . I wish you the best!

If all that fails, try a more time honoured way - donate a zillion to lubricate the path
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 01-10-2020, 18:46   #30

Quote:
Hi Paul, Qld health is the issue here.

Regarding fees, I've been here less than 36 hrs and I'm out of pocket $4,150 so far.
Is it????? OK I was mistaken, I understood the exemptions came from the Feds. My bad.

That makes it harder for you - election around the corner in Qld so positions are entrenched and it is hard argue with a Heath Department in the middle of a pandemic. You are between a rock and a hard place!

Tags
Australia