Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2020, 19:04   #31

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: Australian quarantine equality?

$4150? Wow.

The expression you are looking for is, “follow the money”. When crap happens and makes no sense then figure out who is benefiting. Somebody has your $4150 in their pocket.
Old 01-10-2020, 19:48   #32

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
$4150? Wow.

The expression you are looking for is, “follow the money”. When crap happens and makes no sense then figure out who is benefiting. Somebody has your $4150 in their pocket.
That figure includes the $3,700 quarantine bill, it dosent include marina fees that I have to pay while locked up.
Old 01-10-2020, 20:14   #33

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

^^^^If you were quarantined aboard, you'd still be paying the marina fees: no mooring buoys out there.

To whom did you make out the checks? It's in their bank account. [Until re-located.]

Ann
Old 01-10-2020, 20:45   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
^^^^If you were quarantined aboard, you'd still be paying the marina fees: no mooring buoys out there.

To whom did you make out the checks? It's in their bank account. [Until re-located.]

Ann
Hi Ann, the first night we were given permission to quarantine at anchor, therefore it is possible to quarantine at anchor when it suits the authorities.
Old 01-10-2020, 21:27   #35

Three posts have been deleted, one off topic, and two which were responses to the deleted post's concept.

Thread hijacking is against CF's posting rules that we all have agreed to follow.

The central issue here is how to appeal effectively a decision to not grant a quarantine exemption when in a similar situation such exemption had been granted; a secondary issue is why is self-quarantine aboard one's vessel apparently not a satisfactory response.

Ann
Old 01-10-2020, 22:15   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Three posts have been deleted, one off topic, and two which were responses to the deleted post's concept.

Thread hijacking is against CF's posting rules that we all have agreed to follow.

The central issue here is how to appeal effectively a decision to not grant a quarantine exemption when in a similar situation such exemption had been granted; a secondary issue is why is self-quarantine aboard one's vessel apparently not a satisfactory response.

Ann
Just a correction Ann, there's been no exemption application rejection, theres just been no reply after 6 weeks, I know they have our applications, I've checked through MSQ, they just aren't processing them, yet they did process my friends application.

I have other friends arriving on Sunday, it's their 56th day at sea today, they will be getting locked up, their application hasn't been processed.
Old 01-10-2020, 22:35   #37

Dale, thanks for the correction. Not a formal rejection, a de facto one.

If you can find out where the hold up is, even if you can't get yourself excluded, maybe you can get the 56 days at sea folks their exemption! Good luck with it ALL.

Ann
Old 02-10-2020, 00:04   #38

Just recieved a email from another friend, they arrive tommorow BUT because it's a public holiday long weekend they must stay on anchor with their Q flag up and wont get processed until Tuesday.....so let me get this right, self quarantine on your vessel is not allowed unless it's a public holiday long weekend?????
Old 02-10-2020, 00:06   #39
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
..............so let me get this right, self quarantine on your vessel is not allowed unless it's a public holiday long weekend?????
The Aussie way; long weekends are sacrosanct

All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 02-10-2020, 00:31   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Just recieved a email from another friend, they arrive tommorow BUT because it's a public holiday long weekend they must stay on anchor with their Q flag up and wont get processed until Tuesday.....so let me get this right, self quarantine on your vessel is not allowed unless it's a public holiday long weekend?????
That sounds about right. I'm guessing they wont count that towards the official days either.
Old 02-10-2020, 00:40   #41

Boat: Custom Catamaran

It sounds to me less like an equality issue, and more like a processing time issue. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the couple who arrived further north receive their exemption enroute? What do they usually say about visas? Don't travel 'til they're granted?

Having dealt with Australian red tape before I'm not sure you're going to get far. The official line currently is that incoming citizens - without an exemption - will be quarantined at their expense.

As for quaranting aboard, set moorings / anchorages would need to be established and daily BF checks performed to ensure crew stayed aboard. Imagine the outcry from fellow tax payers if they found out this was where their tax dollars were going.... (I tried to use the same argument with sailing into Aus with a dog, and using time at sea plus q aboard. It didn't get more than a "tough, that's the rules" response).

Frustrating, I know, but from another Aussie stuck overseas currently with no chance of getting home any time soon, it's just the way things are at the moment....

n
Old 02-10-2020, 00:47   #42

Boat: Razzle Dazzle - 61ft Simpson / Crowther Daggerboard Cat ‘93

Welcome to modern day Australia. This direction is not new. Inflexible nanny state is the objective. Consume, Work, Breed, Shut Up.
Good reasons not to live there anymore.
Old 02-10-2020, 01:28   #43

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfbr View Post
Welcome to modern day Australia. This direction is not new. Inflexible nanny state is the objective. Consume, Work, Breed, Shut Up.
Good reasons not to live there anymore.

Fair enough, given that you don't tell us just where you are one can only assume that you are not an Australian resident, I for one trust that your current place of residence is somewhat more to your convivial to your wants and wishes.
I however am accepting of the restrictions placed on us at this time, I don't particularly like it but I am accepting of it AT THIS TIME. The future may well change this.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Old 02-10-2020, 02:00   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausnp84 View Post
It sounds to me less like an equality issue, and more like a processing time issue. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the couple who arrived further north receive their exemption enroute? What do they usually say about visas? Don't travel 'til they're granted?

Having dealt with Australian red tape before I'm not sure you're going to get far. The official line currently is that incoming citizens - without an exemption - will be quarantined at their expense.

As for quaranting aboard, set moorings / anchorages would need to be established and daily BF checks performed to ensure crew stayed aboard. Imagine the outcry from fellow tax payers if they found out this was where their tax dollars were going.... (I tried to use the same argument with sailing into Aus with a dog, and using time at sea plus q aboard. It didn't get more than a "tough, that's the rules" response).

Frustrating, I know, but from another Aussie stuck overseas currently with no chance of getting home any time soon, it's just the way things are at the moment....

n
My application went in prior to theres, therefore I dont accept a processing time issue.
Old 02-10-2020, 02:19   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yihang View Post
That sounds about right. I'm guessing they wont count that towards the official days either.
I used to have my boat berthed next to the quarantine berth in Bundy and used to chat with arrivals through the gate, there’s nothing unusual about waiting out the weekend/public holidays at anchor for a Biosecurity inspection, even prior to COVID-19 that was the case, you could request an Outside Ordinary hours inspection but you would be paying a bucket load more cash in overtime fees, assuming they agree to it...

Most have just waited it out at anchor as instructed to save on the extra costs, or time there arrival for a normal weekday…..

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience

Tags
Australia