Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2024, 04:03   #46
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Piracy at Barranquilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
Hate to say it [1], but ...
[1] Often a good time, to refrain from saying it.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2024, 04:12   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
[1] Often a good time, to refrain from saying it.
.....says the guy who's post-count is approaching 50k.......
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2024, 04:41   #48

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Hate to say it, but I had similar thoughts and wonder if there is some sort of back-story. God bless the guy, but he sounds about as close to destitute as I can imagine - not exactly a juicy theft target let alone for three different sets of thieves. The attacks were reportedly in mid-December, a couple weeks before the interview yet the bruising was healed.

I really feel for the guy and admire his fortitude, but I wonder if there is more to the story than armed boarding by three sets of strangers intent on theft and robbery. I do wish him a speedy recovery and that he can continue his chosen lifestyle.

Attachment 285182
Interesting perspective, Weebles, but within your post there's a few remarks that need clarification.
1. Would a cruising sailboat be a "juicy target" for people who steal to
support their lifestyle? Would a sailboat represent significant value to
them? Why then rob a sailboat?
2. So, the bruising was "healed" by your analysis of his body parts
that were visible? Are you a physician? Did you physically inspect his
body for trauma? Did they send him to the hospital as an act of
goodwill? Have you ever been in a fist fight and had punches thrown
at every part of your body? Have you ever been stabbed? Do you
think this man is looking to become wealthy from interviews and a
book deal like so many fools on sailboats?
3. Why do you wonder if there is more to the story that what the man
said? What personal experience do you have regarding his situation
to make that assertion? Were you a policeman? FBI? CIA? Or, is it
just a hunch for fellow readers to mull over after breakfast?
I think these are reasonable questions to ask someone who has made the intimations you have in the above post. Thanks in advance for your response.
Rognvald
Old 10-01-2024, 05:05   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
Interesting perspective, Weebles, but within your post there's a few remarks that need clarification.
1. Would a cruising sailboat be a "juicy target" for people who steal to
support their lifestyle? Would a sailboat represent significant value to
them? Why then rob a sailboat?
2. So, the bruising was "healed" by your analysis of his body parts
that were visible? Are you a physician? Did you physically inspect his
body for trauma? Did they send him to the hospital as an act of
goodwill? Have you ever been in a fist fight and had punches thrown
at every part of your body? Have you ever been stabbed? Do you
think this man is looking to become wealthy from interviews and a
book deal like so many fools on sailboats?
3. Why do you wonder if there is more to the story that what the man
said? What personal experience do you have regarding his situation
to make that assertion? Were you a policeman? FBI? CIA? Or, is it
just a hunch for fellow readers to mull over after breakfast?
I think these are reasonable questions to ask someone who has made the intimations you have in the above post. Thanks in advance for your response.
Rognvald
My interest is more than just passing - Baranquilla/Sta Marta is possibly on my dance card for next spring. Piracy got my attention. A situation like the one described is impossible to ignore. There are a lot of nice yachts transiting these regions that I would think would be more attractive to thieves, but it's possible they all look relatively prosperous, even one that was adrift and dismasted a year prior (STORY HERE). It's also possible he pissed-off the wrong people. Or owed someone money and they came to collect. I have no idea and will never know, but three different sets of thieves just a few miles off the coast robbing a near destitute boat without much of value aboard isn't your typical piracy story.

I obviously wish the guy well and hope he manages to continue his life. Sounds like he's had some hard times even before this tragic event. I'm just trying to figure out what to do with the information, and how applicable it is to my plans. To my thinking, there are a couple yellow-flags that suggest it may have some unique circumstances.
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2024, 05:07   #50
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Indeed.
Q: What do you call the study of human regret?
A: Anthroapology.

•••---•••. I regret that, in remorse code.

I’ve contributed enough posts ...
That I’ve developed authoritis.

Being a writer is enjoyable...
But, the job of editor, would be more rewording.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2024, 09:14   #51
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
There are other consequences to this definition. Many insurance policies specifically exclude piracy from their coverage but do cover against robbery armed or not. Read your policy small print and know what you are getting, or you may not get paid out. Insurance companies are renowned for being technically pedantic.
I hadn't thought of that. Given my experience working with underwriters, a worthy consideration.
Old 12-01-2024, 06:38   #52

Boat: Pearson Countess 44

Now maybe I'll be attacked for a posting too.... (if I am, can I say I have been e-Pirated?). (This was intended as a joke--no offense to anyone I hope). Anyway, I like others have cruised without problems along the Colombian coast and many other areas that suffer from the problems of crime and poverty. Of course something could have gone wrong. But I want to point out that crimes against boats and boaters occur pretty much everywhere. We were boarded at 2 AM on the Pacific coast of Mexico, for example. And I know others who have had problems with crimes in the United States and Canada. Needless to say some countries and some areas are worse than others (in some cases, way worse), so we make choices and take appropriate precautions. Just another aspect of risk management while sailing, as I see it. Sorry if I am stating the obvious. (Also, I would add that in Colombia, once we left Cartagena and sailed onward to Panama, the Colombian coastguard tracked us the entire way and sent a different patrol boat to check on us each day. They also warned us to stay away from certain areas. Very helpful, but of course also a sign that they too were concerned about security along the coast.). (The Colombian coastguard at one point called on the VHF and asked us why we were going so slow and in the wrong direction. So we explained the basics of tacking.)
Bill Streever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2024, 06:42   #53

Boat: Reuel Parker design Egret 31.5 Yawl

Commonly misspelled - Colombia
Old 12-01-2024, 07:10   #54

Boat: Catalina 22 Sport

Quote:
Sorry, but wrong target for cynical shots over the bow. From where I sit, GordMay seems to have the highest rate for informative and informed posts across this forum. And the guy actually listens to what others say and directly concedes and apologizes when he is wrong. And it doesn't seem to bother him to apologize to people who themselves would sooner die than concede or apologize to anyone for anything. I would happy to see even more posts from him.
lestersails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2024, 08:12   #55

Boat: Allegro 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5BTM View Post
Sweden
The guaranteed minimum pension is payable to those who do not qualify for an employment pension, or as a supplement to a low employment pension.
It is about 10300 SEK or US$1000 per month for unmarried male.
Magnus is 64 years old and does not yet qualify for any state pension. The age for pension was recently raised from 65 to 66 years of age so he will have to wait another 2 years for his state pension. At least, he can in a couple of years look forward for a significant better economic situation.

Only question would be if the fact that he does not have a registered home address i Sweden will be a problem getting the pension paid out.
It might be a good idea for him to register an address.
hasse_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2024, 11:43   #56

Boat: Antares 44i
Unhappy Re: Piracy at Barranquilla

Quote:
Leaving aside the supreme importance of semantics, seems CSSN is no longer updated (https://safetyandsecuritynet.org/). This site, loosely affiliated with Noonsite, was traditionally the best source of information of piracy against yachts in the Caribbean.

Any insights on best source of information?

PS - I was confused by the Reslow interview. Attack was in December but he said his injuries were 2 months old. Given his ultra-low budget, surprised his boat was targeted.

Oh, and if semantics continue to dominate this thread by the pseudo intellectuals, Colombia does not have a "U" in it. As to the 12 mile limit, Nicaragua has proclaimed and has enforced a 25 nm limit of territorial waters.
I'm equally confused as to why, as of this posting, the attack has not been featured on CSSN? Perhaps the evidence was considered contradictory? If there were a real attack, surely there would be a police report issued by Colombian authorities and CSSN would include this in their database, even if listed as "alleged attack".

If this is a hoax, then the reputational damage would have been done amongst us already skittish folks deciding on whether to include these waters in our current itinerary (Panama to Columbia to ABCs).

Some clarity would be most welcome!
CaptainMarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2024, 11:46   #57

Boat: R&C Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainMarkS View Post
I'm equally confused as to why, as of this posting, the attack has not been featured on CSSN? Perhaps the evidence was considered contradictory? If there were a real attack, surely there would be a police report issued by Colombian authorities and CSSN would include this in their database, even if listed as "alleged attack".

If this is a hoax, then the reputational damage would have been done amongst us already skittish folks deciding on whether to include these waters in our current itinerary (Panama to Columbia to ABCs).

Some clarity would be most welcome!
CSSN First Hand Report
DATE: 2023-12-29 08:00
EVENT: Piracy
HAND: 1
STOLEN ITEMS: batteries,cables,sails,fenders +++
SECURED: N/A
DETAILS: A singlehander departed Santa Marta, Colombia, for the San Blas islands (Panama) and was attacked by pirates about 5 miles offshore Barranquilla, Colombia. The 3 pirates boarded and attacked the captain, beating him and then stabbing him with a knife they found onboard. They made 3 trips to his boat over a few hours time and stole many things including batteries, cables, sails, blocks, fenders +++ and they destroyed electronics.
The captain was able to make phone contact with a friend in his home country between visits and they contacted their local rescue authorities who then made contact with the Colombian Coast Guard.
The injured captain continued to repel the pirates' later visits with a hammer and flares, and cut a line they were using in an attempt to tow him toward shore. The pirates finally gave up. The Colombian Coast Guard arrived at the yacht about 30 minutes after the final visit by the pirates and provided assistance and then towed the yacht back to Santa Marta marina where the captain was taken by ambulance to the hospital, treated and kept overnight.
Reports were made to the Coast Guard and the marina.
ID: 3196
Categories: Colombia, Reports

https://safetyandsecuritynet.org/incident-3196-2/
Old 12-01-2024, 11:59   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
CSSN First Hand Report
DATE: 2023-12-29 08:00
EVENT: Piracy
HAND: 1
STOLEN ITEMS: batteries,cables,sails,fenders +++
SECURED: N/A
DETAILS: A singlehander departed Santa Marta, Colombia, for the San Blas islands (Panama) and was attacked by pirates about 5 miles offshore Barranquilla, Colombia. The 3 pirates boarded and attacked the captain, beating him and then stabbing him with a knife they found onboard. They made 3 trips to his boat over a few hours time and stole many things including batteries, cables, sails, blocks, fenders +++ and they destroyed electronics.
The captain was able to make phone contact with a friend in his home country between visits and they contacted their local rescue authorities who then made contact with the Colombian Coast Guard.
The injured captain continued to repel the pirates' later visits with a hammer and flares, and cut a line they were using in an attempt to tow him toward shore. The pirates finally gave up. The Colombian Coast Guard arrived at the yacht about 30 minutes after the final visit by the pirates and provided assistance and then towed the yacht back to Santa Marta marina where the captain was taken by ambulance to the hospital, treated and kept overnight.
Reports were made to the Coast Guard and the marina.
ID: 3196
Categories: Colombia, Reports

https://safetyandsecuritynet.org/incident-3196-2/
Wow! I can't believe I hadn't found this. I bet it's because I used "Columbia" in my search criteria! THANK YOU for sharing!!
Old 12-01-2024, 12:28   #59

"Unfortunately this puts Colombia out for safe cruising again." Considering the activities in Ecuador, will this country soon follow in Colombia's foot steps?
desertsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2024, 12:37   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsailor View Post
"Unfortunately this puts Colombia out for safe cruising again." Considering the activities in Ecuador, will this country soon follow in Colombia's foot steps?
What's been happening in Equador to sailors?

Tags
piracy