Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2024, 06:19   #31

Re: Piracy at Barranquilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
As of last week, CSSN continues to support the cruising community by providing the basic infrastructure for incident reporting and data consolidation and dissemination. The majority of our reports were firsthand, submitted by victims and then vetted/curated/published by our volunteer team.
CSSN News & Reports Last 20
#3194 – 2024-01-02 [last Tuesday]
https://safetyandsecuritynet.org/newsreports/
Also reported incidents are mirrored on noforeignland, in the filter once logged on.

https://www.noforeignland.com
barcoMeCasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2024, 06:52   #32

Boat: R&C Leopard 40

We sailed past there from Aruba to Cartagena just a couple weeks ago. I was much more concerned about the area between Venezuela and Aruba and again Venezuelan coastline leaving Aruba for ColOmbia. (I agree we should all be using the O).

This sailors report of 3 attacks from 3 different boats just 5 miles from the coast seem hard to believe.

Of course any attack is terrible.
Old 08-01-2024, 07:26   #33

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
There is no language where Colombia (the country) is spelled with a "U."

See Noonsite for reference to Nicaragua territorial waters being extended to 25 nms. Back story is a bit more complex - Nicaragua has been in a dispute with Colombia (Providencia is a Colombian territory) who defended their extended demarcation of territorial waters by essentially snapping a line from their outermost headlands and measuring 12 nms from the line.
In Romanian, it's Columbia. In Slovak, Polish and others it's Kolumbia. Kolumbien in German. Kolumbie in Czech. Etc. Etc.

Noonsite is wikipedia for cruisers - is there an official source?
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2024, 07:37   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
In Romanian, it's Columbia. In Slovak, Polish and others it's Kolumbia. Kolumbien in German. Kolumbie in Czech. Etc. Etc.

Noonsite is wikipedia for cruisers - is there an official source?
You've got Google skills and a penchant for finding needle-in-haystack exceptions vs just saying "Ooops - thanks" (this is an English speaking site). But good to know if I'm ever in a geography quiz with a Romanian.

You can keep the Nicaraugua information in your back-pocket if you ever make it into the Caribbean. Until then, I'll stick with information from Jimmy Cornell's site.
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2024, 07:41   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
In Romanian, it's Columbia. In Slovak, Polish and others it's Kolumbia. Kolumbien in German. Kolumbie in Czech. Etc. Etc...
The word "Colombia" comes from the name of Christopher Columbus (Cristóbal Colón in Spanish, Cristobal Colom in Catalan, Christophe Colomb in French, Cristoforo Colombo in Italian) and was conceived by the revolutionary Francisco de Miranda as a reference to the New World, especially to all American territories and colonies under Spanish and Portuguese rule. The name was then adopted by the Republic of Colombia of 1819 formed by the union of Venezuela, New Granada and Ecuador.
In 1830, when Venezuela and Ecuador separated, the Cundinamarca region which remained became a new country, the Republic of New Granada. In 1863 New Granada changed its name officially to United States of Colombia, and in 1886 adopted its present day name: Republic of Colombia.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2024, 07:59   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
On this forum it doesn’t matter what I write. If I write it’s white I will be attached because it ought to be black. If I write it’s black then I am attacked that it ought to be white. If I post an interview, I am attacked for repeating the same wording, which is historically correct, because it would be politically incorrect.

Man what fun
Typical online forum. Pedantic = superiority
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2024, 08:54   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
The word "Colombia" comes from the name of Christopher Columbus (Cristóbal Colón in Spanish, Cristobal Colom in Catalan, Christophe Colomb in French, Cristoforo Colombo in Italian) and was conceived by the revolutionary Francisco de Miranda as a reference to the New World, especially to all American territories and colonies under Spanish and Portuguese rule. The name was then adopted by the Republic of Colombia of 1819 formed by the union of Venezuela, New Granada and Ecuador.
In 1830, when Venezuela and Ecuador separated, the Cundinamarca region which remained became a new country, the Republic of New Granada. In 1863 New Granada changed its name officially to United States of Colombia, and in 1886 adopted its present day name: Republic of Colombia.
I see. So the country of Colombia has had it wrong for over 200 years!
Old 08-01-2024, 09:30   #38

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
You've got Google skills and a penchant for finding needle-in-haystack exceptions vs just saying "Ooops - thanks" (this is an English speaking site). But good to know if I'm ever in a geography quiz with a Romanian.

You can keep the Nicaraugua information in your back-pocket if you ever make it into the Caribbean. Until then, I'll stick with information from Jimmy Cornell's site.
You did claim there was "no language" that spelled it with a "u."
For the record, I don't dispute how they spell it, but they speak Spanish, and my question was more of a generic "how does one determine when you anglicize a name and when you don't?" Figured someone so critical of pseudo intellectuals (sic) could offer a theory.
British Columbia, Columbia SC, the university, the clothing brand, etc. are all named after the same dude - in English we call him Columbus, so in English we typically spell it with a "u" - just wondering who or what determines where we make exceptions to that? Asking for my fellow pseudo-intellectuals.

As for the Nicaragua, it would be good to understand the context. Nicaragua has signed and ratified UNCLOS. Are they claiming straight baselines or some other variation? Is this a universal 25NM or is it just 25NM in one location due to the above? Or did noonsite mix up territorial sea claims with claims of contiguous zones or EEZ? Given that they seem to be picking on fishing vessels, I'm thinking it might be the latter.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2024, 09:41   #39

Boat: Pearson 34-II

In defense of SV Jedi . . . in the last 35 years of cruising(10 years full time), we have encountered uncommon naivete by a lion's share of fellow cruisers whose default mantra is that "it won't happen to me." Some are lucky . . . others like the Swede in the video have suffered the downside of sailing in potentially dangerous waters. I sail with my wife ,whom I love, and cannot imagine putting her or myself in harms ways to put another notch on our cruising belt. And, for me, a reasonable person must ask: could this horrible event have been avoided by a show of firearms by the sailor? One might never know but it definitely changes the dynamics to prevent/avoid a possible boarding/assault/theft. Bottom line: avoid these areas of threat. It's not the reason we cruise. Great post, SV Jedi!
Rognvald
Old 09-01-2024, 10:28   #40

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
In defense of SV Jedi . . . in the last 35 years of cruising(10 years full time), we have encountered uncommon naivete by a lion's share of fellow cruisers whose default mantra is that "it won't happen to me." Some are lucky . . . others like the Swede in the video have suffered the downside of sailing in potentially dangerous waters. I sail with my wife ,whom I love, and cannot imagine putting her or myself in harms ways to put another notch on our cruising belt. And, for me, a reasonable person must ask: could this horrible event have been avoided by a show of firearms by the sailor? One might never know but it definitely changes the dynamics to prevent/avoid a possible boarding/assault/theft. Bottom line: avoid these areas of threat. It's not the reason we cruise. Great post, SV Jedi!
Rognvald
That didn't end well for Peter Blake. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Blake_(sailor)
Old 09-01-2024, 11:33   #41

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
That didn't end well for Peter Blake. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Blake_(sailor)

Hi, P,
Well, I've never liked bad odds . . . and, at least, with a gun you have a chance to stop a serious offender or a lethal threat. However, if you live by the sword, well--you know the rest. I grew up hunting, so guns/gun sports(trap/skeet/targets) are very natural to me. But, I would be the first to say, it's not for everyone. The only cruise I didn't have a firearm(s) was from Chicago through the Great Lakes to Canada/Gulf of St. Lawrence-1800 plus miles with dangerous Canadians everywhere you looked. . . although once past Quebec City even they disappeared. What did Sly Stone say: Different strokes for different folks."
Best, Rognvald

P.S. I loved your posts on the Southern Ocean/Chile! You're a very accomplished sailor! R
Old 09-01-2024, 11:39   #42

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
Hi, P,
Well, I've never liked bad odds . . . and, at least, with a gun you have a chance to stop a serious offender or a lethal threat. However, if you live by the sword, well--you know the rest. I grew up hunting, so guns/gun sports(trap/skeet/targets) are very natural to me. But, I would be the first to say, it's not for everyone. The only cruise I didn't have a firearm(s) was from Chicago through the Great Lakes to Canada/Gulf of St. Lawrence-1800 plus miles with dangerous Canadians everywhere you looked. . . although once past Quebec City even they disappeared. What did Sly Stone say: Different strokes for different folks."
Best, Rognvald

P.S. I loved your posts on the Southern Ocean/Chile! You're a very accomplished sailor! R
Thankee, totally off topic but today is 20 years to the day since I first departed NZ bound Chile. How time flies when you are having fun.
Old 10-01-2024, 03:01   #43

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:

So I suppose that if the swedish guy had been boarded 24 nms off Gracias Dios (Nicaragua, an alarmingly common problem 5 years ago) some pompous CF know-it-all would say "technically, not piracy."

https://www.noonsite.com/place/nicaragua/

There are other consequences to this definition. Many insurance policies specifically exclude piracy from their coverage but do cover against robbery armed or not. Read your policy small print and know what you are getting, or you may not get paid out. Insurance companies are renowned for being technically pedantic.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2024, 03:53   #44
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
There are other consequences to this definition. Many insurance policies specifically exclude piracy from their coverage but do cover against robbery armed or not. Read your policy small print and know what you are getting, or you may not get paid out. Insurance companies are renowned for being technically pedantic.
Good point.
Read & understand your insurance policy, and any exclusions.

If you’ve got ‘all risk’ insurance, you’ll need to make sure that piracy isn’t explicitly listed as something not covered in the plan.
If you’ve got ‘named perils’ insurance, you’re going to need to make sure that the risks covered in the policy include piracy.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2024, 03:59   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
.......This sailors report of 3 attacks from 3 different boats just 5 miles from the coast seem hard to believe.....
Hate to say it, but I had similar thoughts and wonder if there is some sort of back-story. God bless the guy, but he sounds about as close to destitute as I can imagine - not exactly a juicy theft target let alone for three different sets of thieves. The attacks were reportedly in mid-December, a couple weeks before the interview yet the bruising was healed.

I really feel for the guy and admire his fortitude, but I wonder if there is more to the story than armed boarding by three sets of strangers intent on theft and robbery. I do wish him a speedy recovery and that he can continue his chosen lifestyle.

Click image for larger version

Name:	BC36CF45-9498-44F2-8838-18083ABCFCE0_1_105_c.jpeg
Views:	20
Size:	177.3 KB
ID:	285182

Tags
piracy