Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2024, 07:33   #16

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Re: Piracy at Barranquilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
Try a more reliable source of information. Like the United Nations.

Legal Framework for the Repression of Piracy Under UNCLOS

Exactly what I stated, waters outside the jurisdiction of a Nation State
That's just from the perspective of UNCLOS. There's nothing there that says individual states can't define piracy as they please. Jedi pointed out the 'dictionary' meaning, and historically it's still valid. While Wiki might not be the most "reliable" source, it does give a lot of good information and at the bottom of that particular entry does touch on the divergence between UNCLOS and "municipal legal systems." Even the IMB definition is not as restrictive as the UNCLOS interpretation.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2024, 07:40   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
Not every nation claims a 12NM territorial sea. Columbia probably does, but it really does depend on whether or not that area falls under their jurisdiction.
UNCLOS really doesn't define "high seas" - it's defined contextually. "High seas" might be outside a 12NM TS, but inside or outside the 200NM EEZ depending on the jurisdictional context.
Columbia has signed but not ratified the agreement. I guess that means they can have inshore pirates
PS. My Oxford University Dictionary agrees with Jedi
Old 07-01-2024, 07:54   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Columbia has signed but not ratified the agreement. I guess that means they can have inshore pirates
PS. My Oxford University Dictionary agrees with Jedi
The 12NM stated by UNCLOS is a limit, not a requirement. States can claim any amount of terrritorial sea up to that range.
Old 07-01-2024, 09:26   #19

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

Thanks for posting Jedi. Tough break for someone getting by on $230/month and who values self reliance. I wonder if there is a GoFundMe or similar set up for him. I'd much rather send him a few bucks than some bikini-clad YouTuber.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2024, 10:44   #20

Boat: CS27, C&C25 half a lifetime ago

Sad story but I am going to call BS on the $230 per month.

Sweden
The guaranteed minimum pension is payable to those who do not qualify for an employment pension, or as a supplement to a low employment pension.
It is about 10300 SEK or US$1000 per month for unmarried male.

As to Barranquilla being unsafe just take a look at a residential neighborhood on Street View and see how many illegal electrical connections you can see and how common are metal bars on windows, doors, patios, front porches etc.

Anything south of the Straits of Florida was a rectal orifice 43 years ago, my last visit.
I doubt things have improved.
5BTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2024, 13:17   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

UNCLOS has been ratified by 168 parties.*
These include 164 United Nations Member States, a United Nations Observer State (Palestine), the European Union, the Cook Islands and Niue.

Only 16 United Nations Member (and Observer) States have neither signed nor ratified UNCLOS.
Some of these States are landlocked, and their decision not to sign (or accede to) the Convention may be motivated by limited practical necessity. However, certain other States decided not to sign (or accede to) the Convention, because they disagreed with some of its provisions.

One of the most significant States [the only significant state?], that has neither signed, nor ratified UNCLOS, is the United States of America. Relying on objections to certain UNCLOS’s provisions, in Part XI of UNCLOS, concerning the seabed and ocean floor, which it considered against its economic and security interests, the United States did not ratify the Convention. The U.S. signed the Agreement in 1994, and now recognizes the Convention as general international law, but still has not ratified it, at this time.
The United States, has however incorporated UNCLOS Article 101 in criminalizing piracy, under 18 U.S.C. § 1651:
“Whoever, on the high seas, commits the crime of piracy as defined by the law of nations...”

Colombia signed the treaty on 10 Dec 1982, but, as noted, has not yet ratified it.

* STATUS AS AT : 07-01-2024 10:16:02 EDT
CHAPTER XXI LAW OF THE SEA

https://treaties.un.org/Pages/ViewDe...dsg3&clang=_en

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2024, 13:25   #22

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Magnus Reslow is a Swedish single handed sailor, who was attacked by pirates [± 5 mi] off the Columbian coast.
On 29th of December, his boat was invaded three times by pirates, close to the city of Barranquilla. Reslow was beaten up several times, and attacked by knife. The attackers stole nearly everything from his low budget boat. In this interview [16min], Reslow talks about the attack, and how he managed to escape, after the pirates tied up to his boat, trying to tow him to the coast.

More discussion[s], on ‘Santa Marta Cruisers’:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2012687502115618/

See also, Reslow's earlier misadventure:
“SV “Dhokus 11” Canary Islands to Trinidad Found Drifting Off Aruba” [Sept/Nov 2022]
https://boatwatch.org/resolved/sv-dh...ing-off-aruba/
Wow, pirates on the Potomac!
Old 08-01-2024, 02:10   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

My apologies to the Forum, and to s/v Jedi & Lodesman [& others?], in particular.
They were right, and I was wrong.

The crime of ‘piracy’ should be defined by the authority having jurisdiction.
On the high seas, that is UNCLOS.
Imshore [territorial waters], that will be the state having national jurisdiction - Columbia, in this particular case.

The UNCLOS [generally accepted international law] only applies to waters beyond the limits of national jurisdiction - so it’s understandable that that’s how the convention should be worded, for that purpose. The adverb "on the high seas" is irrelevant, in this case.

In waters within the limits of national jurisdiction, national/state law [& it’s definition of ‘piracy’] will apply - just as s/v Jedi & Lodesman noted.

Also, as s/v Jedi noted, one shouldn’t ignore common usage [dictionaries], history, nor literature.

I have no idea how Columbia defines ‘piracy’, but it seems reasonable to assume [always dangerous] that it might [more or less] conform to general international usage.

In any case, I believe that, the crimes committed against Magnus Reslow, were acts of piracy.

This debate is a good example of, where [my] compulsive obsession. on a single [correct] fact [UNCLOS definition of ‘piracy’], can lead to an erroneous conclusion.

As D&D said, elsewhere: "I don't mean to interrupt people. I just randomly remember things and get really excited.”
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3858036

Old 08-01-2024, 02:45   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5BTM View Post
Sad story but I am going to call BS on the $230 per month.

Sweden
The guaranteed minimum pension is payable to those who do not qualify for an employment pension, or as a supplement to a low employment pension.
It is about 10300 SEK or US$1000 per month for unmarried male.

As to Barranquilla being unsafe just take a look at a residential neighborhood on Street View and see how many illegal electrical connections you can see and how common are metal bars on windows, doors, patios, front porches etc.

Anything south of the Straits of Florida was a rectal orifice 43 years ago, my last visit.
I doubt things have improved.
The higher amount quoted may be payable only if the retiree is inside Sweden. This is precisely the case with US SSI payments where the receipient has not earned enough credits to receive the full minimum amount, currently $943. So inside the US the minimum of $943 will paid but ouside only what one actually earned, whatever the amount.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2024, 02:55   #25

Boat: CS27, C&C25 half a lifetime ago

<<What happens to my pension if I leave Sweden?

You will keep your income pension, premium pension, supplementary pension and occupational pension that you have earned in Sweden, even if you move to another country. The pension is paid regardless of where in the world you live, but you must apply yourself.>>
5BTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2024, 03:11   #26

Leaving aside the supreme importance of semantics, seems CSSN is no longer updated (https://safetyandsecuritynet.org/). This site, loosely affiliated with Noonsite, was traditionally the best source of information of piracy against yachts in the Caribbean.

Any insights on best source of information?

PS - I was confused by the Reslow interview. Attack was in December but he said his injuries were 2 months old. Given his ultra-low budget, surprised his boat was targeted.

Oh, and if semantics continue to dominate this thread by the pseudo intellectuals, Colombia does not have a "U" in it. As to the 12 mile limit, Nicaragua has proclaimed and has enforced a 25 nm limit of territorial waters.
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2024, 04:14   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
... Oh, and if semantics continue to dominate this thread by the pseudo intellectuals, Colombia does not have a "U" in it. As to the 12 mile limit, Nicaragua has proclaimed and has enforced a 25 nm limit of territorial waters.
Colombia claims, both, the 12 mile territorial limit, and the 200 mile exclusive economic zone limit.

Colombian National legislation:

Act No. 10 of 4 August 1978 establishing rules concerning the Territorial Sea, the Exclusive Economic Zone and the Continental Shelf and regulating other matters.

Article 1
The territorial sea of the Colombian nation, over which the latter exercises full sovereignty, shall extend beyond its mainland and island territory and internal waters to a distance of 12 nautical miles or 22 kilometres, 224 metres.

Article 7
An exclusive economic zone shall be established adjacent to the territorial sea; the zone shall extend to an outer limit of 200 nautical miles measured from the baselines from which the breadth of the territorial sea is
measured.

Act #10 here ➥ https://www.un.org/depts/los/LEGISLA...L_1978_Act.pdf

Links to Colombian Maritime boundary delimitation agreements
https://www.un.org/depts/los/LEGISLA...EFILES/COL.htm

Sorry, for my spelling error - I'm more used to writing the Canadian Province, British Columbia.

Q: What do you call a vocabulary obsession?
A: Addictionary.

Q: Why do pirates always walk around in threes?
A: One can read, one can write, and the third keeps an eye on the two dangerous intellectuals.

Old 08-01-2024, 04:28   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Leaving aside the supreme importance of semantics, seems CSSN is no longer updated (https://safetyandsecuritynet.org/).,,
As of last week, CSSN continues to support the cruising community by providing the basic infrastructure for incident reporting and data consolidation and dissemination. The majority of our reports were firsthand, submitted by victims and then vetted/curated/published by our volunteer team.
CSSN News & Reports Last 20
#3194 – 2024-01-02 [last Tuesday]
https://safetyandsecuritynet.org/newsreports/

Old 08-01-2024, 05:10   #29

Quote:
Oh, and if semantics continue to dominate this thread by the pseudo intellectuals, Colombia does not have a "U" in it. As to the 12 mile limit, Nicaragua has proclaimed and has enforced a 25 nm limit of territorial waters.
Do the spelling police have rules on when you use anglicized spellings, and when you don't? By the same standard, you might say there's no "z" in Brazil (Brasil) and no "i" in Spain (España).

Curious too, where you've seen Nicaragua's claim of 25NM TS?
Old 08-01-2024, 05:31   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
Do the spelling police have rules on when you use anglicized spellings, and when you don't? By the same standard, you might say there's no "z" in Brazil (Brasil) and no "i" in Spain (España).

Curious too, where you've seen Nicaragua's claim of 25NM TS?
There is no language where Colombia (the country) is spelled with a "U." Columbia (with a U) is the name of a US Ivy League University. Normally. I wouldnt give a damn but given the thread diversion to absurd nitpicking on definition of piracy, I thought I'd point out a very common misspelling. But it's interesting that I'm the spelling police given the ridiculous nitpicking on piracy. The guy claims he was boarded, beaten, and robbed. Only a jerk would interrupt that story to say "technically, it's not piracy...." Misses the point, which seems to happen in forums when folks get bored and respond to all posts whether they have something productive to add or not.

See Noonsite for reference to Nicaragua territorial waters being extended to 25 nms. Back story is a bit more complex - Nicaragua has been in a dispute with Colombia (Providencia is a Colombian territory) who defended their extended demarcation of territorial waters by essentially snapping a line from their outermost headlands and measuring 12 nms from the line.

So I suppose that if the swedish guy had been boarded 24 nms off Gracias Dios (Nicaragua, an alarmingly common problem 5 years ago) some pompous CF know-it-all would say "technically, not piracy."

https://www.noonsite.com/place/nicaragua/
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
piracy