Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2024, 18:06   #1
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Piracy at Barranquilla

Unfortunately this puts Colombia out for safe cruising again.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2024, 20:13   #2

Boat: Cruising Catamaran
Re: Piracy at Barranquilla

Was it ever safe? Unless you were in a Marina surrounded by Razor wire and security it was never safe. I recall a cruising buddy a few years ago sailing in to Cartegena and chose to anchor out posting how wonderful it was and how lovely the people were, until they weren't. They got done over at knife-point and lucky to be alive.
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2024, 02:15   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Magnus Reslow is a Swedish single handed sailor, who was attacked by pirates [± 5 mi] off the Columbian coast.
On 29th of December, his boat was invaded three times by pirates, close to the city of Barranquilla. Reslow was beaten up several times, and attacked by knife. The attackers stole nearly everything from his low budget boat. In this interview [16min], Reslow talks about the attack, and how he managed to escape, after the pirates tied up to his boat, trying to tow him to the coast.

More discussion[s], on ‘Santa Marta Cruisers’:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2012687502115618/

See also, Reslow's earlier misadventure:
“SV “Dhokus 11” Canary Islands to Trinidad Found Drifting Off Aruba” [Sept/Nov 2022]
https://boatwatch.org/resolved/sv-dh...ing-off-aruba/

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2024, 03:06   #4

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

This poor fellow has not had the best of luck. Dismasted and adrift after crossing the Atlantic then getting robbed several times. I hope he has the courage to continue cruising.

However, I do wish people would use the term "Piracy" correctly. Piracy only exists on the "high seas", (in international waters). This is where international law trumps national laws. Traditionally this would have been at least 1 Nautical League (3NM) from the sea boundary of a nation state. Probably why the term "Piracy" hangs on in there. Nowadays the high seas only exists beyond the 12NM limit or any designated Economic Zones typically 200NM from shore. Anything that occurs within this area falls under the jurisdiction of a nation state and is "armed robbery" regardless of if it occurs at sea from a boat. It would have far greater effect on the authorities and implications to their tourist industry if attacks are reported as "armed robbery". Normal tourists disregard "piracy" as a problem because it does not apply to them. Rant over.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2024, 04:35   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Tin View Post
Was it ever safe? Unless you were in a Marina surrounded by Razor wire and security it was never safe. I recall a cruising buddy a few years ago sailing in to Cartegena and chose to anchor out posting how wonderful it was and how lovely the people were, until they weren't. They got done over at knife-point and lucky to be alive.
We cruised the complete Caribbean coastline of Colombia and while we avoided Barranquilla, we were absolutely safe everywhere. This was in 2007.

Old 07-01-2024, 04:43   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
This poor fellow has not had the best of luck. Dismasted and adrift after crossing the Atlantic then getting robbed several times. I hope he has the courage to continue cruising.

However, I do wish people would use the term "Piracy" correctly. Piracy only exists on the "high seas", (in international waters). This is where international law trumps national laws. Traditionally this would have been at least 1 Nautical League (3NM) from the sea boundary of a nation state. Probably why the term "Piracy" hangs on in there. Nowadays the high seas only exists beyond the 12NM limit or any designated Economic Zones typically 200NM from shore. Anything that occurs within this area falls under the jurisdiction of a nation state and is "armed robbery" regardless of if it occurs at sea from a boat. It would have far greater effect on the authorities and implications to their tourist industry if attacks are reported as "armed robbery". Normal tourists disregard "piracy" as a problem because it does not apply to them. Rant over.
That is absolutely wrong. Piracy even includes attacks on shore and especially in coastal zones: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piracy

Also, international waters is all waters outside the territorial waters.

Old 07-01-2024, 04:53   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
That is absolutely wrong. Piracy even includes attacks on shore and especially in coastal zones: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piracy...

Tupaia is correct, and s/v Jedi should have read further into his Wikipedia reference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
However, I do wish people would use the term "Piracy" correctly. Piracy only exists on the "high seas", (in international waters)...
The United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea [UNCLOS] [1], Article 101 defines piracy as:
“any illegal acts of violence or detention, or any act of depredation, committed for private ends by the crew of the passengers of a private ship or a private aircraft. . . on the high seas [2] against another ship or aircraft. . . [and] any act of voluntary participation [in a pirate ship].”

The United States, for instance, incorporates UNCLOS Article 101 in criminalizing piracy in 18 U.S.C. § 1651, which states:
“[w]hoever, on the high seas [2], commits the crime of piracy as defined by the law of nations, and is afterwards brought into or found in the United States, shall be imprisoned for life.”

[1] UNCLOS
Article 101. Definition of piracy, on page 57https://www.un.org/depts/los/convent...s/unclos_e.pdf

[2] The high seas: all parts of the sea that are not included in an EEZ, territorial sea, or internal or archipelagic waters of a state.
https://www.un.org/depts/los/convent...clos/part7.htm

Old 07-01-2024, 05:59   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Tupaia is correct, and s/v Jedi should have read further into his Wikipedia reference.

The United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea [UNCLOS] [1], Article 101 defines piracy as:
“any illegal acts of violence or detention, or any act of depredation, committed for private ends by the crew of the passengers of a private ship or a private aircraft. . . on the high seas [2] against another ship or aircraft. . . [and] any act of voluntary participation [in a pirate ship].”

The United States, for instance, incorporates UNCLOS Article 101 in criminalizing piracy in 18 U.S.C. § 1651, which states:
“[w]hoever, on the high seas [2], commits the crime of piracy as defined by the law of nations, and is afterwards brought into or found in the United States, shall be imprisoned for life.”

[1] UNCLOS
Article 101. Definition of piracy, on page 57https://www.un.org/depts/los/convent...s/unclos_e.pdf

[2] The high seas: all parts of the sea that are not included in an EEZ, territorial sea, or internal or archipelagic waters of a state.
https://www.un.org/depts/los/convent...clos/part7.htm
No matter what politicians write, it was the pirate Henry Morgan who took Fuerte San Lorenzo at the mouth of Rio Chagres, before moving up the river and plundering and burning down Panama City.
In all literature this is called piracy. I don’t have any respect for politicians anyway

Old 07-01-2024, 05:59   #9

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Not every nation claims a 12NM territorial sea. Columbia probably does, but it really does depend on whether or not that area falls under their jurisdiction.
UNCLOS really doesn't define "high seas" - it's defined contextually. "High seas" might be outside a 12NM TS, but inside or outside the 200NM EEZ depending on the jurisdictional context.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2024, 06:02   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

On this forum it doesn’t matter what I write. If I write it’s white I will be attached because it ought to be black. If I write it’s black then I am attacked that it ought to be white. If I post an interview, I am attacked for repeating the same wording, which is historically correct, because it would be politically incorrect.

Man what fun

Old 07-01-2024, 06:59   #11

Boat: EggHarbor,Sportfish,35

Actually a good post. Thanks Jedi.
Too bad there a people more interested in their definition of a word than the post. Way too petty.
landsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2024, 07:15   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
On this forum it doesn’t matter what I write. If I write it’s white I will be attached ...
... If I post an interview, I am attacked ...
You weren’t attacked - you were corrected; and then, only when you erroneously contradicted Tupaia’s accurate definition of piracy.

Thanks for your OP, about the attack, on Magnus Reslow.

Old 07-01-2024, 07:17   #13

Quote:
That is absolutely wrong. Piracy even includes attacks on shore and especially in coastal zones: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piracy
Try a more reliable source of information. Like the United Nations.

Legal Framework for the Repression of Piracy Under UNCLOS

Quote:
Also, international waters is all waters outside the territorial waters.
Exactly what I stated, waters outside the jurisdiction of a Nation State
Old 07-01-2024, 07:19   #14

Quote:
On this forum it doesn’t matter what I write. If I write it’s white I will be attached because it ought to be black. If I write it’s black then I am attacked that it ought to be white. If I post an interview, I am attacked for repeating the same wording, which is historically correct, because it would be politically incorrect.

Man what fun

Ignore the politics - what you describe is the essence of debate and free speech.
Old 07-01-2024, 07:24   #15

Boat: Hanse 430e

Meanwhile; has Columbia come out and responded to this? I have not seen anything online other than the video.
Dogscout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
piracy