Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Emergency, Disaster and Distress
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2023, 05:41   #346

Boat: Tayana 37
Re: Orcas appear to have sunk a sailboat- what now?

Are they primarily attacking sailing vessels due to the motor not being on?
Statistical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2023, 06:00   #347
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Orcas appear to have sunk a sailboat- what now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by the stargazer View Post
https://nypost.com/2023/05/17/horrif...couples-yacht/

There's video of this latest incident. It's hard to tell exactly what's going on, but there's enough there to see the aggressive behavior.
These are youngsters as for aggression the only shot of consequence is the one showing one at the rudder.
Likely refining hunting skills by working on the tail fins to distract/slow down their prey.. if they were adults it would be a different story, these sprogs are around the size of large dolphins, adults are around 8 to 10metres long on average and 10,000+ kilos in weight.
An aggressive adult would sink a boat in short order.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
While the 'useful idiots' of the West pay to dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2023, 06:05   #348
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statistical View Post
Are they primarily attacking sailing vessels due to the motor not being on?
From what I saw when they bugged an open Moroccan fishing boat the bumping was mainly curiostity as they would then pop their heads up alongside to look at the crew.
Doubtless very scary but from my perspective not malicious.
Things look different when one is not the predominant predator for a change..

While the 'useful idiots' of the West pay to dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 18-05-2023, 06:11   #349

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
On May 5, a Sun Odyssey 519 sank off the coast of Barbate, Spain.
I think that is the third boat that has been sunk by Orcas. The number of damaged boats must be well over 100. Most of these attacks have disabled the boat.

It is a serious problem for cruising sailboats that should not be dismissed lightly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRivet View Post
General rule from the scientists that follow the Orcas with a boat is to stay close to shore in less then 20m depth. If you get attacked motor with WOT direction shore to leave the area and force them to leave their pod. Works, they tested it.
It is not quite as simple as you suggest. Sailboats in the area are very keen to avoid attack and do everything in their power to avoid the animals, but attacks are still frequent.

Looking at the resource you posted, the problem is clearer. This is a map of attacks just around Gibraltar for the month of May 2023. Other months are similar. The red dots are attacks and the blue dots are encounters where no damage is done. Leaving or entering the Mediterranean is always going to risky no matter what strategy is adopted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	50695985-6E82-4C77-827C-7A525F229E21.jpeg
Views:	59
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	275503  
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2023, 06:26   #350

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
These are youngsters as for aggression the only shot of consequence is the one showing one at the rudder.
Likely refining hunting skills by working on the tail fins to distract/slow down their prey.. if they were adults it would be a different story, these sprogs are around the size of large dolphins, adults are around 8 to 10metres long on average and 10,000+ kilos in weight.
An aggressive adult would sink a boat in short order.
Thats why avoid and if you get, not attack them. If they feel attacked and mum or dad shows up you really have a problem....
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2023, 06:29   #351

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
I think that is the third boat that has been sunk by Orcas. The number of damaged boats must be well over 100 by now.

It is a serious problem for cruising sailboats that should not be dismissed lightly.

It is not quite as simple as you suggest. Sailboats in the area are very keen to avoid attack and do everything in their power to avoid the animals, but attacks are still frequent.

Looking at the resource you posted, the problem is clearer. This is a map of attacks just around Gibraltar for the month of May 2023. Other months are similar. The red dots are attacks and the blue dots are encounters. Leaving or entering the Mediterranean is always going to risky no matter what strategy is adopted.
As i said no member of the telegram group was attacked till now, all that got attacked go straight through their feeding ground means across your food plate.. do you like that, no and they don't too.
So inform yourself daily about their positon and stay close to shore in less then 20m and you are safe.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2023, 07:28   #352
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRivet View Post
Thats why avoid and if you get, not attack them. If they feel attacked and mum or dad shows up you really have a problem....
I know, I was approached by a pod of 10 Orca mid Atlantic a few years back the leader was as big as my Bene 321 and had a dorsal fin nearly 6ft long..
They circled the boat several times giving me the eyeball then fell into formation alongside and astern of me.
They then accompanied me for 5 days leaving around 10 am, presumably to hunt/feed then return around sundown to snooze in my wake.
The first night I heard them in my wake and shone my spot light, they responded with tail slapping so I quickly switched off, said "Sorry guys" and never repeated it.
Never felt threatened, in fact the company was rather nice.
I presume they left when I got too far East of the whales migratory route North from the Caribe.. I was heading for Europe.

Old 18-04-2024, 04:24   #353
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Infamous boat-sinking orcas spotted hundreds of miles from where they should be, baffling scientists
More about ➥ https://www.livescience.com/animals/...ling-scientist

Since 2020, orcas has been attacking boats in southwest Europe, and were recently spotted circling a ship in Spain for the first time this year.

However, the most recent sighting of one such pod, is hundreds of miles from where they should be, this time of year, suggesting the group is changing its tactics – and scientists have no idea why.

On April 10, three of the orcas were spotted swimming near a large yacht in northern Spain, a local news site reported*.
* [Translate] ➥ https://www.diariodepontevedra.es/ar...181299995.html

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2024, 06:12   #354

Boat: Pearson 386

Bad Orcas, do you think this something new? Or have Killer Whales sunk more than one? Scientists have only recently discovered that these creatures hunt cooperatively species much larger than themselves like certain land animals such as wolves. What shall we do ban sailboats.
OneBoatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2024, 07:28   #355

Boat: Boat

What now? Nothing.

The world is divided amongst those who think humans should be able to go about their business largely unmolested by wildlife and those who think wildlife should be able to go about its business - whatever that may be - completely unmolested by humans.

Unfortunately the latter group controls government policy at this time.
Cloroxbottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2024, 07:47   #356
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloroxbottle View Post
What now? Nothing.
The world is divided amongst those who think humans should be able to go about their business largely unmolested by wildlife and those who think wildlife should be able to go about its business - whatever that may be - completely unmolested by humans.
Unfortunately the latter group controls government policy at this time.
The world is actually divided into 10 types of people: those who know binary, and those who don't ... and those who weren't expecting a ternary joke.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2024, 09:00   #357

Boat: Catalina 320

We were motoring on a sunny windless afternoon when I spotted some blows I thought were Risso's or Pilot Whales. About the time we identified as Orcas a young male made a fast run at the boat. To see us or warn us off ? With engine off they didn't mind us drifting around with them while they taught the youngsters to hunt. They had a seal skin that they tossed around like a football for practice. They also took a sea gull who was floating in the area, probably not the brightest bird in the flock. My wife was sitting up in a "stern perch" seat and said "He could have just jumped up here and took my head off couldn't he?"
I've had whales follow along and under the boat also, a little unnerving but what you gonna do? I had a young gray following once and I tried to lose him by making radical course changes but he stayed right with me.
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat