Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Emergency, Disaster and Distress
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2022, 08:17   #1

Tonga Volcano.. terrifying 4' tidal wave hits Nuku'Alofa!

Everybody has probably already heard about the undersea volcano 40 miles north of Tongatapu, and the tsunami warnings for the West Coast US & BC, and NZ North Island, and the terrifying 4' ..... yes that's right four foot.... tsunami wave that hit Nuku'Alofa forcing the evacuation of King ʻAhoʻeitu Tupou VI to higher ground!

It should have hit the west coast a couple of hours ago, presumably in the land of fruits and nuts, hundreds of avid surfers were eagerly awaiting it's arrival ;-)
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2022, 08:47   #2

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310
Re: Tonga Volcano.. terrifying 4' tidal wave hits Nuku'Alofa!

The coastline of Tongatapu where it hit is basically sea level for a long way in shore. For those who live along that shore, generally the poorer people, I presume being inundated is going to cause some hardships since the homes are flooded and gardens awash with salt. The videos I saw look a lot more than a meter.

Not sure why they’d issue an alert for a 1m wave for CA.
Old 15-01-2022, 09:56   #3

Boat: Samson C-shell 36

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/tsunami-adviso...onga-1.5741534

BC news today.
Chayal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2022, 10:22   #4

I apologize for the tone of my previous post. This is clearly doing a lot of damage... The idea of a 4 foot tsunami does seem a bit absurd in comparison to the devastating tsunamis in Indonesia and Japan, etc.

These low lying villages would be extremely vulnerable in fact completely wiped off the face of the earth in a tsunami like the 2011 Japan event.

Japan Tsunami | National Geographic

Are we ready for Cascadia? There is a fairly high statistical probability that it will happen within the lifetime of children of today... an M9 quake is no laughing matter. In reality it could happen today.... or a a few hundred years from now... who knows? The 1946 tsunami from a quake in Alaska reached a height of 138 locally! When it does happen, it will probably be the most anticipated natural disaster in history other than climate change.
Old 15-01-2022, 10:29   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post
Everybody has probably already heard about the undersea volcano 40 miles north of Tongatapu, and the tsunami warnings for the West Coast US & BC, and NZ North Island, and the terrifying 4' ..... yes that's right four foot.... tsunami wave that hit Nuku'Alofa forcing the evacuation of King ʻAhoʻeitu Tupou VI to higher ground!

It should have hit the west coast a couple of hours ago, presumably in the land of fruits and nuts, hundreds of avid surfers were eagerly awaiting it's arrival ;-)
Well I just watched video of the tsunami in Tonga on Youtube. The footage is pretty frightening, and there's no doubt that some people have died as a result.

Quite honestly, I find your tone to be callous, flippant, and completely inappropriate.

A tsunami doesn't produce a single 4 ft wave like you see on the beach. It's a 4 foot wall of water that just keeps coming, and coming, and coming. Image 4 ft of water flowing through your house.
Old 15-01-2022, 11:09   #6

This is crazy, I saw the satellite video. It is huge. Even the sonic boom was huge. What would have happened to any boats in the vincinity of that eruption? Could it sink a boat? Maybe molten rock melt the hull of a ship? Was the blast expected or was it a surprise??? Thanks for any info.
Sailing4venture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2022, 11:11   #7

Quote:
I apologize for the tone of my previous post. This is clearly doing a lot of damage... The idea of a 4 foot tsunami does seem a bit absurd in comparison to the devastating tsunamis in Indonesia and Japan, etc.

These low lying villages would be extremely vulnerable in fact completely wiped off the face of the earth in a tsunami like the 2011 Japan event.

Are we ready for Cascadia? There is a fairly high statistical probability that it will happen within the lifetime of children of today... an M9 quake is no laughing matter. In reality it could happen today.... or a a few hundred years from now... who knows? The 1946 tsunami from a quake in Alaska reached a height of 138 locally! When it does happen, it will probably be the most anticipated natural disaster in history other than climate change.

In 2016, I was in Crescent City, CA and Brookings, OR, where both marinas were totally devastated. The photos were frightening.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160824_150529 (Small).jpg
Views:	555
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	251345  
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2022, 12:55   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
Well I just watched video of the tsunami in Tonga on Youtube. The footage is pretty frightening, and there's no doubt that some people have died as a result.

Quite honestly, I find your tone to be callous, flippant, and completely inappropriate.

A tsunami doesn't produce a single 4 ft wave like you see on the beach. It's a 4 foot wall of water that just keeps coming, and coming, and coming. Image 4 ft of water flowing through your house.

Again, I apologize for my tone...... Watching video of locals standing near the beach as the tsunami sweeps past them at waist level taking photos, one knocked off his feet briefly as in the video I posted, it's hard take it very seriously. There obviously was significant property damage......but it is hardly on par with what we are used to seeing when tsunami strikes.
Old 15-01-2022, 12:59   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing4venture View Post
This is crazy, I saw the satellite video. It is huge. Even the sonic boom was huge. What would have happened to any boats in the vincinity of that eruption? Could it sink a boat? Maybe molten rock melt the hull of a ship? Was the blast expected or was it a surprise??? Thanks for any info.
Google the 1883 eruption of Krakatoa, and you will find accounts of ships in the vicinity... the shock wave was said to have broken eardrums miles away, and the decks of ships were pelted with solidified lava and pumice.
Old 15-01-2022, 13:19   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Sailing4venture.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2022, 13:57   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:

Japan Tsunami | National Geographic

4' doesn't sound all that dramatic until you remember that ic an be moving at up to 500mph.
Old 15-01-2022, 15:03   #12

Boat: Westerly Sealord

They just tested the tsunami alarms here - well I hope they were just testing them.
El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2022, 15:26   #13

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

ANY Tsunami can be a serious event, and should be taken seriously.

Depending on the pitch of the shoreline a 4 meter wave at sea can have a wavelength of up to hundreds of meters when it comes ashore.

Underwater terrain features, and relative bay inlet dimensions can all affect the ending wave height or damage at a specific point in the shoreline. These effects can be difficult to predict.

In this case the volume of water displaced by the eruption was relatively small, but it could have been much worse.

It was still a threat to life, and property.

The last tsunami to hit Hawaii was only 3 ft, and destroyed hundreds of boats, and several marinas.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2022, 15:39   #14

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing4venture View Post
This is crazy, I saw the satellite video. It is huge. Even the sonic boom was huge. What would have happened to any boats in the vincinity of that eruption?
I was wondering the same thing. I wonder if anyone with a Marinetraffic subscription can playback traffic from before the blast?
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2022, 15:41   #15
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
4' doesn't sound all that dramatic until you remember that ic an be moving at up to 500mph.
It's not moving anywhere near that fast when it comes ashore.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Tonga