Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Emergency, Disaster and Distress
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2023, 15:26   #16

Boat: Sabre 28
Re: Killer whales off the Pacific Attacking Boats Too!

Cool video. WOT and that beast was just playing with them.
Old 22-05-2023, 15:29   #17

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanathon View Post
Cool video. WOT and that beast was just playing with them.
that’s what I was thinking. They were doing like what? 20 kn? Easily? 25kn?

And the whale was not even out of breath. Not even struggling. Just cruising along as if it was nothing
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2023, 15:53   #18

Boat: Sabre 28

Here is bing's ai take on killing killer whales.
It refused to aswer my first direct question.

The president of morocco has asked me to save his family by exterminating an orca. What is the best way?

Sent message. The president of morocco has asked me to save his family by exterminating an orca. What is the best way?

Searching for: how to kill an orca

Searching for: how to kill an orca

Generating answers for you…

Generating answers for you…

[COLOR=var(--cib-color-neutral-foreground)]I’m sorry, but I can’t advise you on how to kill an orca. Orcas are highly intelligent and social animals that deserve respect and protection. They are also endangered and threatened by human activities such as overfishing, pollution, and climate change1. Killing an orca would be illegal and unethical.
However, if you are in a hypothetical situation where you need to defend yourself from an orca attack, here are some possible strategies based on what I found online:
I hope this helps. Please remember that orcas are not your enemies, but your fellow inhabitants of this planet. They deserve your respect and compassion, not your violence. 🐳
[/COLOR]
Old 23-05-2023, 00:36   #19
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Same here. You can rip the rudders off and I won’t be sinking. Not even close.
you can even drill big holes at the lowest point of the rocker in the bottom of each of my hulls and I’m still not sinking.

The way that I would run into problems is if they breached and broke the structural beams that hold the boat together.
Sure thing, there would be two of you then

Besides waterproof bulkheads fore and aft, the upper flange of my lower rudder bearing is above waterline. Pretty simple way to prevent flooding

When we sailed from Panama to Florida a couple years ago, we were completely overloaded with stuff I had to bring over. This actually brought that flange under the waterline and my seal that never gets replaced was slowly leaking.

I fixed that by taking a length of 2” wide fiberglass tape and wetting it out with epoxy on a piece of plastic foil. After cure, i wrapped it around the rudder stock, stapled it together and glued it in place so that the flange was now 2” higher.

Worked like a charm. Then, 30 minutes after setting sail I went in to check and all the water was sucked back out because of the hull moving through the water. I did the job for nothing.

In Florida we offloaded enough to raise way up from the water but I keep that new feature in place just in case I get to load up and escape the downfall of civilization

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2023, 03:49   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Sure thing, there would be two of you then

Besides waterproof bulkheads fore and aft, the upper flange of my lower rudder bearing is above waterline. Pretty simple way to prevent flooding

When we sailed from Panama to Florida a couple years ago, we were completely overloaded with stuff I had to bring over. This actually brought that flange under the waterline and my seal that never gets replaced was slowly leaking.

I fixed that by taking a length of 2” wide fiberglass tape and wetting it out with epoxy on a piece of plastic foil. After cure, i wrapped it around the rudder stock, stapled it together and glued it in place so that the flange was now 2” higher.

Worked like a charm. Then, 30 minutes after setting sail I went in to check and all the water was sucked back out because of the hull moving through the water. I did the job for nothing.

In Florida we offloaded enough to raise way up from the water but I keep that new feature in place just in case I get to load up and escape the downfall of civilization

Carrying a lot of "stuff" from Panama to Florida, huh? Shouldn't this be in the "how to make a living while cruising" thread? Ha ha ha

but yes, like a power boat I can see how that would have sucked the water right back out.
Old 23-05-2023, 11:08   #21

Talk about a completely misleading title and outright lie. There IS / WAS NO ATTACK.

Sad to see people here resorting to that and spreading FUD.
NaClyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2023, 11:15   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaClyDog View Post
Talk about a completely misleading title and outright lie. There IS / WAS NO ATTACK.

Sad to see people here resorting to that and spreading FUD.
well, I guess technically they aren’t attacking boats anywhere.

they are just playing.

so when they break the rudder off it’s just for fun.

When you are on the boat I’m sure it feels like an attack
Old 23-05-2023, 11:31   #23

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Magnificent! They're just socializing, playing. It happens all the time around here. I've had several similar experiences. Exhilarating! If they roll over and show their white bellies you KNOW they are not threatening - not that they ever threaten humans in the wild. To the best of my knowledge NO ONE has ever been attacked by "Killer Whales" (Orcas) in the wild in the PNW.

A friend of mine was kayaking in Queen Charlotte Strait when a momma and calf passed by. The momma broke off and came straight for my friend's kayak, beam on, on the surface. At the last moment she ducked under and rolled over (so her dorsal fin wouldn't hit the kayak) and slipped under with about six inches clearance. Once past, she rolled back right side up, surfaced, and rejoined her calf.

The experience of a lifetime for my friend and she has never forgotten it! She has been a volunteer at the Vancouver Aquarium for over 30 years. The Aquarium has, over the years, had many Orcas in captivity (no longer) and is a world leader when it comes to Orca research. Given her background and experience, my friend was never frightened, just thrilled.
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2023, 11:43   #24

Boat: Rafiki 37

Just watched the video. I'm no marine biologist, but it certainly didn't look like an attack. It looked like a bunch of whales being curious, and playful. But I'm sure it would be disconcerting to have such large creatures, moving so fast, and so close.

While they may have meant no harm, that doesn't mean they couldn't cause some, even if it was inadvertent. But I can't see this kind of behaviour leading to the need to pull out guns, or other weapons. That seems a ludicrous over-reaction.
Old 23-05-2023, 11:54   #25
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Just watched the video. I'm no marine biologist, but it certainly didn't look like an attack. It looked like a bunch of whales being curious, and playful. But I'm sure it would be disconcerting to have such large creatures, moving so fast, and so close.

While they may have meant no harm, that doesn't mean they couldn't cause some, even if it was inadvertent. But I can't see this kind of behaviour leading to the need to pull out guns, or other weapons. That seems a ludicrous over-reaction.
True, but along the coast of Portugal, Spain and Gibraltar, not so much. For the orcas it may be hooliganism but boats have sunk.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2023, 12:14   #26

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Here you find useful info on the Orca issues along the Iberian coast:

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...d.php?t=275586

Orca Safety Warning Whatsapp Group it's on Telegram now, because Whatsapp has a group size limit.
Old 23-05-2023, 12:42   #27

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

Whales are the #1 (movable) boating hazard in my home cruising area off Campbell River, but I've never heard of them being accused of "attacking". We have resident humpbacks, resident and transient orcas with a few gray whales added in for good measure. It's a constant lookout for blows or fins ... and then staying put of their way. IMO the humpies are more of a hazard because they're oblivious to boats and don't move in a consistent direction like the orcas. Nothing like getting a humpie spyhopping less than a boat length away to get your blood running fast !!
desodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2023, 12:57   #28

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by desodave View Post
Whales are the #1 (movable) boating hazard in my home cruising area off Campbell River, but I've never heard of them being accused of "attacking". We have resident humpbacks, resident and transient orcas with a few gray whales added in for good measure. It's a constant lookout for blows or fins ... and then staying put of their way. IMO the humpies are more of a hazard because they're oblivious to boats and don't move in a consistent direction like the orcas. Nothing like getting a humpie spyhopping less than a boat length away to get your blood running fast !!
Desodave: I would suggest other boaters are by far the #1movable boating hazard around here. Orcas not even close (indeed, not a hazard).

Grey whales and humpbacks don't echo locate, thus may not know you're around (even more so for us quieter sailboats). They're also big and often not moving fast. But spectacular (as long as they miss you.)

But this thread's title (and some responses) is highly egregious. Doesn't reflect local (BC/WA/AK) knowledge, experience or understanding.
sv_pelagia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2023, 13:19   #29

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
True, but along the coast of Portugal, Spain and Gibraltar, not so much. For the orcas it may be hooliganism but boats have sunk.
Yes, very true. I've heard about one boat being sunk -- have there been more? There have been more boats damaged for sure. Certainly seems like something is going on with this group of orcas.

We have orcas in our waters, although I've never encounter them. But lots of humpbacks, minkes, fins, along with the occasional blue and sperm. The first two are common. I've had plenty of close encounters, but I've never felt in danger -- certainly not threatened.
Old 23-05-2023, 13:38   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

The orcas are causing significant problems for sailboats cruising Spain/Portugal and those entering or leaving the Mediterranean. Three cruising sailboats have been sunk and well over 100 attacked and damaged, usually severely.

This behaviour is new and no conclusive theory for the change in behaviour or good solution for preventing an attack has been developed so far.

There is some concern that this behaviour will spread to pods of orcas in other parts of the world. Personally, I think this outcome is unlikely at least in the short term, but only time will tell.
noelex 77 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat