Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Emergency, Disaster and Distress
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2024, 15:38   #151

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)
Re: Killer whales off the Pacific Attacking Boats Too!

I normally do not participate in these kind of threads, and I have not read the previous 10 pages.
But I just picked up a book from the bookcase, a book purchased for 50 cents in a secondhand shop.
Boat was a wooden 19 tons 43 ft schooner "Lucette", that sunk after being attacked by orcas in 1972, location was ...... (checking the map on first page of the book)..... west of Galapogos.
Book is " Survive the savage sea" by Dougal Robertson.
Old 06-01-2024, 19:51   #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Maybe, but, I suspect, only marginally similar.

“Mammoni” [Mamma’s Boys in Italy], is a term applied to single Italian men, who live at home with their mothers, sometimes into their forties and fifties.
I suspect this may be more a result of economic pressures, rather than an unhealthy dependence on their mothers. Convenience [laziness & enmeshment*] may also play a role.

Although my post was almost entirely humorous in intent, since you did it the honour of taking it literally, allow me to ask how you have decided that Mammismo is does not represent "an unhealthy dependence"?

Yes, "convenience [laziness & enmeshment*] may also play a role", as has been observed.

Probably the cultural tendency towards the "smother-mother" has also been observed and noted, though that dynamic does not seem to be confined to any one culture; merely more predominate in some. That it leads to various forms of perpetual adolescence is well known, and while this may meet the dysfunctional emotional needs of the mother, it clearly doesn't produce a male calculated to meet the needs of any potential wife.
Tillikum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2024, 03:16   #153
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Alarming Waste of Salmon by Trawl Fishery Revealed in DFO Report

A British Columbia wildlife protection group [Pacific Wild], says chinook salmon, that form the key diet, for endangered Orcas, are being caught in their thousands, by trawlers, only to be dumped, or turned into compost.

A, yet-to-be published, Fisheries and Oceans Canada {DFO] report, on groundfish trawl by-catch, found more than 26,000 salmon were netted, as by-catch, in the 2022-2023 fishing season, with 93 per cent of them chinook salmon. Evidently, the DFO report estimated more than 20,000 dead chinook were thrown overboard while another 3,700 were either discarded as offal, waste, or compost.

B.C.'s trawl fleet, of about 45 vessels, includes six large freezer boats, that caught almost 75 per cent of the chinook by-catch, that was thrown overboard, dead. The trawlers are looking to catch hake, pollock, flounder, or other groundfish, but not salmon.

Pacific Wild Press Release ➥ https://pacificwild.org/press-releas...in-dfo-report/

See also:
“B.C. study links killer whale decline to lack of energy-rich fatty salmon”
https://www.abbynews.com/news/b-c-st...edium=referral

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat