Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Boats For Sale and Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2017, 17:52   #31

Re: Looking for 40-50' Bluewater Monohull Sailboat <$200k

Let me be perfectly frank. This thread is about specific Water boats">blue water boats for sale. It's not about sailing experience. My biggest pet peeve in this sailing forum is people asking these kind of questions in threads so they can pass judgement on others. I'm not partaking. If you want to talk models, history, designers, hull history, systems, rigging performance, etc. I'm all ears. If you're here to pass judgement on me for asking a question, sorry, it's not happening. Keep them tucked away please. Now, back to a boat discussion.
Shawn0900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 18:31   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunkylump View Post
I'll try this once again, I have attempted 3x to reply

I'm sorry, we probably did chat when we had Moorahme on the market before, old age, or the convenience of old age does not help me in remembering.

We are currently in Antigua where we have enjoyed Classic Race week and now Antigua race week. Awesome! Moorahme is scheduled to be hauled for the duration of hurricane season May 17th.

We have enacted many, many additional upgrades in the last nine months. New salon cushions, all new doors on all salon cabinets, a complete bottom job down to the gelcoat, barrier coated, primed and seven coats of bottom paint in two colors so we know when we are close to needing a refresher, all new 1" stainless steel lifelines from the stern arch to the mid ship boarding gates, a new topping lift for the boom, all mainsail sheets run back to the cockpit and various other smaller projects. These, in addition to the Pro Furl in boom furler, the 100 hp turbo Yanmar engine with 1560 hours, the Kohler 5 kw generator, the Spectra Catalina watermaker, the 690 watt solar farm, the 18 month old Raymarine 7" hybrid chartplotter and 44 mile digital radar, the Vesper Watchmate 850 AIS, a less than year old top of the line Xantrex pure sine 3000 watt inverter/150 amp 3 stage battery charger, the Splendide washing machine.......all very nice and proper updates. Sorry, no bow thruster, I really don't think a competent skipper requires one on this boat.....she handles that well.

I ran into John Kreschmer here in Antigua, and he absolutely loves this S and S model sailboat, and I couldn't agree more. His write up available on line is a good one.

Moving to a trawler sooner than later would be fine with us, but in the meantime we truly enjoy sailing her, one hell of a boat.

You have our contact info if you'd like any additional pics or details. Best of luck in your search, it can be a rather daunting task.

I can't seem find the photos anymore. I'll shoot you an email. I think you had sent them on FB or WhatsApp.

Shawn
Old 03-05-2017, 08:38   #33

Boat: Stevens 47

Ton of pics sent this morning Shawn, let me know via email if you need any additional pics.

Cheers!

randy
gunkylump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 06:50   #34

Hi Randy, got them. Going through them all. Thank you.
Old 05-05-2017, 07:27   #35

Boat: Topper Hermanson, Cutter, 36

There is a very nice looking steel sailboat for sail at Cape Marina in Canaveral, Fla. it is in good condition, 45 to 50 ft and they're asking 95 K. Great hull design, great dodger cockpit layout interior needs some work/modification. Boat is very well insulated. I can't remember specifically the size.
Golden Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 11:49   #36

Hi Shawn,

I have a Liberty 458 that I think fits your description well:

$140,000

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/64147

Your preferred Specs:
1980 or later: 1984
Sloop, Cutter or Ketch: Cutter
<7' draft: 6' 4"
Metal or glass hull: Glass
All systems in good working conditionNeeds new Wind, depth, Log which I will install, new for asking cost
Recent sails, rigging refit: Sails/standing rigging in good condition
Low time diesel motor: 2800hrs. Runs very reliably
Low time diesel genset :No genset but plenty of budget and room to install
Genset driven A/C
Large fuel and water tankage: 240gal water, 165 gallon fuel
Good dry storage Something like 140 lockers and drawers
Prefer 2-cabin owner layoutExcellent liveaboard layout. See plan in ad
Fresh water makerNone installed but plenty of room
Modern electronics (HD rader GPS, chartplotter, VHFw/AIS)Auto pilot, GPS plotter, new Wind/log/depth, VHF
Recent batteries and updated charging/inverter system: 400ah new 2016. Balmar 150amp charger, Xantrex 60amp battery charger, Inverter
Solar power and/or wind generator: 90W solar/KISS wind generator
No blistering history on hullclean hull. Epoxy undercoat treatment against osmosis
Solid glass/epoxy around all through hulls/deck fittings: All solid.
No hull or deck issues

Solid glass below waterline: 18layers of hand laid glass around keel
Skeg hung rudder:Skeg hung. Agree this is very important in a bluewater cruiser
Arch/davit: Arch with davits, BBQ, outboard davit, solar panels,
KISS, and will accept radar (not provided)

Bimini/Dodger: 360deg full cover in very good condition
Roller furling system on jib/genny (and stay sail): Roller furling on Genoa. Hanks on staysl.
Furling boom on mainsail or stackpack and lazy jacks (furling boom preferred): Lazy jacks. Mains'l has fittings for dutchman furling
Full-batten mainsail: Fully battened
Self tailing winches: Self tailing
Setup for single handed: Quite easy to singlehand
Bow thruster: None fitted but room to fit one quite easily
No damage or swamping history: No damage.

If interested, please contact me directly.

Matthew
Australis_458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 22:22   #37

Good day Shawn,

I have a 1984 Liberty 458 for sale in Michigan for $140,000 that is an excellent livaboard vessel and I believe meets your criteria very well.

Please visit the listing on Sailboatlistings.com and contact me directly:

1984 Liberty 458 ad

Specific response to your prefered specs:

-1980 or later: 1984

-Sloop, Cutter or Ketch: Cutter rigged sloop

-<7' draft: 6' 4" draft

-Metal or glass hull: Glass

-All systems in good working condition: Vessel is in very good condition

-Recent sails, rigging refit: Sails in good to very good condition. Rigging in excellent condition.

-Low time diesel motor: 2800hrs. Runs very smoothly with no issues.

-Low time diesel genset: No genset. Room to install.

-Genset driven A/C: AC onboad.

-Large fuel and water tankage: 165 gallons Diesel, 240 gallons water

-Good dry storage: Over 140 lockers and drawers.

-Prefer 2-cabin owner layout: Excellent layout for livaboard cruising. Separate cabins. Master stateroom has ensuite head/shower.

-Fresh water maker: Not installed but room to install available.

-Modern electronics (HD rader GPS, chartplotter, VHFw/AIS): Will replace original Datamarine instruments new raymarine wind, depth, log for asking price. Garmin GPS chart plotter, VHF, Interphase fwd looking sonar, electro/hydraulic autohelm.

-Recent batteries and updated charging/inverter system: 400AH/2016 replacement. 60amp charger. Inverter.

-Solar power and/or wind generator: 90W solar panels. KISS wind generator.

-No blistering history on hull: No osmosis. Hull treated with epoxy as protection against osmosis.

-Solid glass/epoxy around all through hulls/deck fittings: Very solid deck with gunwals coming above deckline. Staunchions bolted to gunwall, not deck. Teak deck in good condition.

-Solid glass below waterline: 18 layers of hand laid glass.

-Skeg hung rudder: Yes. An important atribute for a bluewater cruiser in my opinion.

-Arch/davit: Stainless steel arch carrying solar panels, KISS wind generator, boat davits, outboard davit, BBQ and space for radar (no radar currently fitted).

-Bimini/Dodger: 360deg enclosed bimini/dodger in very good condition.

-Roller furling system on jib/genny (and stay sail): Genoa rolling furler. Stays'l is hanked. Genneker has dousing sock.

-Furling boom on mainsail or stackpack and lazy jacks (furling boom preferred): Lazy jacks. Main is fitted with Dutchman fittings and may be adapted easily if desired.

-Full-batten mainsail: Fully battened.

-Self tailing winches: Self tailing

-Setup for single handed: I regularly sail the vessel single handed. With the auto-pilot it is quite easy and safe.

-Bow thruster: Not fitted but room to install without major modification.

-No damage or swamping history: No damage of any sort.

There were only 31 Libertys ever built. They are a uniquely capable design incorporating all the best ideas of a true bluewater cruising vessel.

Thanks for your consideration.

Matthew
Attached Files
Australis_458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 17:59   #38

Boat: Bluewater Schooner, custom built, 65' oal

Hi Shawn,
I have a 50' steel hull schooner that is currently on the hard getting her bottom redone and a new paint job.
She was built in St Augustine and the original owner took possession in '97.
If you want to see some pics, I'll be happy to email you some.
Jim
Phishstyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 03:59   #39

Boat: Morgan 43 Custom Ketch

See my boat at bermudabreeze on Cruisers Forum
BermudaBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 06:39   #40

Hi Matt, I'm interested in hearing more. I do like Peterson designs. Let's PM.
Old 28-05-2017, 17:05   #41

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Australis_458 View Post
Good day Shawn,

I have a 1984 Liberty 458 for sale in Michigan for $140,000 that is an excellent livaboard vessel and I believe meets your criteria very well.

Please visit the listing on Sailboatlistings.com and contact me directly:

1984 Liberty 458 ad

Specific response to your prefered specs:

-1980 or later: 1984

-Sloop, Cutter or Ketch: Cutter rigged sloop

-<7' draft: 6' 4" draft

-Metal or glass hull: Glass

-All systems in good working condition: Vessel is in very good condition

-Recent sails, rigging refit: Sails in good to very good condition. Rigging in excellent condition.

-Low time diesel motor: 2800hrs. Runs very smoothly with no issues.

-Low time diesel genset: No genset. Room to install.

-Genset driven A/C: AC onboad.

-Large fuel and water tankage: 165 gallons Diesel, 240 gallons water

-Good dry storage: Over 140 lockers and drawers.

-Prefer 2-cabin owner layout: Excellent layout for livaboard cruising. Separate cabins. Master stateroom has ensuite head/shower.

-Fresh water maker: Not installed but room to install available.

-Modern electronics (HD rader GPS, chartplotter, VHFw/AIS): Will replace original Datamarine instruments new raymarine wind, depth, log for asking price. Garmin GPS chart plotter, VHF, Interphase fwd looking sonar, electro/hydraulic autohelm.

-Recent batteries and updated charging/inverter system: 400AH/2016 replacement. 60amp charger. Inverter.

-Solar power and/or wind generator: 90W solar panels. KISS wind generator.

-No blistering history on hull: No osmosis. Hull treated with epoxy as protection against osmosis.

-Solid glass/epoxy around all through hulls/deck fittings: Very solid deck with gunwals coming above deckline. Staunchions bolted to gunwall, not deck. Teak deck in good condition.

-Solid glass below waterline: 18 layers of hand laid glass.

-Skeg hung rudder: Yes. An important atribute for a bluewater cruiser in my opinion.

-Arch/davit: Stainless steel arch carrying solar panels, KISS wind generator, boat davits, outboard davit, BBQ and space for radar (no radar currently fitted).

-Bimini/Dodger: 360deg enclosed bimini/dodger in very good condition.

-Roller furling system on jib/genny (and stay sail): Genoa rolling furler. Stays'l is hanked. Genneker has dousing sock.

-Furling boom on mainsail or stackpack and lazy jacks (furling boom preferred): Lazy jacks. Main is fitted with Dutchman fittings and may be adapted easily if desired.

-Full-batten mainsail: Fully battened.

-Self tailing winches: Self tailing

-Setup for single handed: I regularly sail the vessel single handed. With the auto-pilot it is quite easy and safe.

-Bow thruster: Not fitted but room to install without major modification.

-No damage or swamping history: No damage of any sort.

There were only 31 Libertys ever built. They are a uniquely capable design incorporating all the best ideas of a true bluewater cruising vessel.

Thanks for your consideration.

Matthew
I think the Liberty is the same basic hull design by Doug Peterson for the Kelley-Peterson 44/46. This is a fast, sea-kindly design. The Formosa 46 is the KP44 with 1 inch added every meter in the line drawings, so a 45' hull. The Liberty, Mason 44, Spindrift 46, Omega 44 all seem to be very similar hull design with full keel cut away fore and aft and a skeg-hung rudder and the prop protected in an aperture in the skeg.

The layout to the Formosa 46 / Kelley-Peterson 44 is similar to the Gulfstar 50. The Formosa 46 has a tall cutter rig and sails well on any point of sail.
These are true blue water boats that can safely take you anywhere.
The Kelly Peterson 44 Sailboat : Bluewaterboats.org
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 17:03   #42

Boat: Custom Benford Liveaboard/Cruiser Price reduced to $90,000

HI..see you've been looking a long time. This custom vessel just may be what you're looking for. The amenities and storage are found on much larger vessels.
2010 Benford 38 Cutter Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
svkahana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2017, 12:43   #43
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 423

This has everything you're looking for and more! http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ng-180198.html
Old 31-05-2017, 14:27   #44

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn0900 View Post
Seriously looking for a 40-50' liveaboard bluewater monhull sailboat with minimal work/refit needed. Budget is <$200k US. Cash buyer. (I'm a fan of the Hylas/Stevens 47, but open to many other well designed hulls with a solid history of circumnavigation, seakindliness, and good passage-making speed)

Preferred Specs:
1980 or later
Sloop, Cutter or Ketch
<7' draft
Metal or glass hull
All systems in good working condition
Recent sails, rigging refit
Low time diesel motor
Low time diesel genset
Genset driven A/C
Large fuel and water tankage
Good dry storage
Prefer 2-cabin owner layout
Fresh water maker
Modern electronics (HD rader GPS, chartplotter, VHFw/AIS)
Recent batteries and updated charging/inverter system
Solar power and/or wind generator
No blistering history on hull
Solid glass/epoxy around all through hulls/deck fittings
Solid glass below waterline
Skeg hung rudder
Arch/davit
Bimini/Dodger
Roller furling system on jib/genny (and stay sail)
Furling boom on mainsail or stackpack and lazy jacks (furling boom preferred)
Full-batten mainsail
Self tailing winches
Setup for single handed
Bow thruster
No damage or swamping history

Will respond with PM.

Thanks,

Shawn
Shawn, don't know if you have found a boat yet or not but we are selling our Bristol 45.5. We completed a circumnavigation in 2014 and have spend many hours and (thousands of) dollars on getting Ainia back into great shape both functionally and cosmetically. This has included, but is not limited to, Awlgrip job on hull, new main and #2 genoa, brightwork redone inside and out. Looking at your list the things that don't match are: we have in-mast furling and found it wonderful in our travels, we do not have a bow thruster, and have a Monitor vane (along with a CPT electric pilot) so do not have davits - we have a simple arch for the digital radar, wind gen, and solar panels. Our Westerbeke has slightly more than 4000 hours but runs strong. No indication that it needs work. Our asking price is well under your budget so you would be able to make whatever changes you wish. We are on Lake Ontario but could easily deliver the boat to New England. BTW, we are big fans of a centreboard (had no experience with one before this boat). We have 12' draft board down, so can go to weather very well. Draft is only 5' board up which is great for shallower spots like the Bahamas and shallower parts of other anchorages. Another advantage is that you could use the c/b to make subtle changes in the boat's balance. This was advantageous with vane steering since the boat needs to be properly balanced. On our circumnavigation we used the Monitor more than 95% of the time and only motored for 400 to 500 hours, generally for harbours/anchorages.

PM me if you would like to discuss further.
Old 02-06-2017, 18:10   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaublis View Post
Check out the Bristol line greater than 40 feet, 48.8, 47.7, 45.5, and so on. These are second generation boats (designated with the .x after the length) with impeccable lineage and capability. Build quality and seaworthiness top notch. Very cost effective in the 80's and 90's vintage. Ted Hood designs (mostly) with Bristol craftsmanship. Go anywhere boats.
those bigger bristols very slow in light winds
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bluewater, boat, hull, monohull, sail, sailboat, water